It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eric Green CB highly though of Huddle Report
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:34 am 

After reading the Huddle report's scouting report on Eric Green I wonder if he will last to the end of the 2nd round.Making comparissons to Ty Law and that he will be an elite corner would the falcon's draft him? I guess a better question between Reggie Brown recevier and Green who would you take? Corners are hard to find,receviers we saw Vick pass well in the Pro Bowl with good receviers.Now I have to take that with a grain of salt since the defensive play calling was such that basic plays were called and hardly a pass rush.Vick thrived in the offense so do the falcon's need Green or Brown more in the 2nd?Shazor was another player highly thought of at the Huddle report and is back on my rader screen.I can not see all 3 lasting past the second round.Is there a way the falcon's could come out of this draft with Green,Brown and Shazor without trading the 1st rounder to move down or trading away future draft picks?If I was guaranteed all 3 players I would take Brown in the 1st,Green 2nd round and Shazor 3rd round.I am not sure how good Brown could be,I particularly like Mark Clayton but Brown is bigger and is a good route runner.The problem I have with my propsed draft is none of the 3 are linemen and the falcon's also need linemen. I don't know if this proposed draft will even come close to what the falcon's may do but fun to think about what these players could do for the falcon's.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:40 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I think Green is probably the more valuable player because I think more highly of a CB than a WR. So if it came down to either, I'd probably take Green. But if I had to guess which way McKay would lean? Probably he'd go WR.

I think which direction this team goes may depend on free agency. It will depend a lot on if the team can manage to re-sign guys like Mathis, Rossum, and Beasley. There's a good chanc we could lose all 3, so I think a nickel back right now is a higher priority than a developmental wideout.

I'd like Green to be here over Brown as well because of his relationship with DeAngelo Hall. I think its probably a safer bet that Green will acclimate himself to the system/team more quickly than Brown because of that.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:10 am 
Role Player
Role Player

I am sorry but I watched all but a very few of Eric Green's games through college and I am not as high on him as some are. He is athletic, he does have some strength, he does have some instincts. These qualities alone might make him a low 2nd. But....BUT.... he also has attitude problems, he also has been taught and internalized VT defensive back play (which requires some coaching to get out of in the pros), he also is not a super athlete in any way, his recovery speed is not what you want to see out of a #1 CB. I love my VT players more then any of you guys, and honestly would love to see the Falcons get more of them (see Grove, Suggs, Davis in past years). But I reall think if we want Green we have to trade down to the top of the 3rd to get him, get a mid range 2nd next year, or get another 4th or 5th this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:26 pm 

VT you may be right about Green's ability, but remember he'd only be a #2 corner here, there is a little somebody named Hall here. The Falcons don't need Green to be the next Ty Law, just that he needs to be better than Jason Webster.

And I disagree that Green will be avalaible at the top of Round 3. I think this may be the strongest cornerback class ever. Maybe there are no Champ Baileys in this year's class, but I think you're going to see a possibility of up to six corners taken in the first round this year. Right now I'm only predicting four, but more could go.

I also think there's going to be many teams nabbing cornerbacks in the second round. I think you'll see five or six corners go in Round 2 (making 9-10 corners in the first two rounds). And I think a guy like Green will be among them. I see Green going to #52 (Jaguars), and if he does fall to us at #59, I don't see him lasting much longer to the point that it makes it easy for us to trade up to pick #65 or so to get him.

ANd people always mention trading down as an option, but I don't think it's one you can ever really count on. What type of player do you think is going to be available at #59 that is going to cause a team to trade up to get?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:28 pm 
Role Player
Role Player

Good points on the depth of CB class. I agree there are alot available. That is why I am not so spun up on us getting high on ONE guy. I am not saying we can't take a CB there, I want a CB in rnd 1 if he is the right guy. DL and CB are my top two. Personnelly, I think RB will be a hot commoddity late in the 2nd, there are a lot of guys like Faison, Barber, and Sproles who will impress people at the combine and during workouts. Like you said too people may get spend happy in the first with CBs so my feeling is there should be good quality late in the 2nd or early 3rd. I guess my biggest concern is that we get so enamored with one guy, whose skill set is not dissimilair to 4 or 5 other guys. I guess if it came down to it and we got Green at our pick like you said, I might bitch a little bit for appearences but all in all we got a quality CB and I will be happy because I am a horrible homer.

btw: to all here, I really appreciate the chance to have (semi) intelligent conversations where different opinions are discussed in an internet forum without the use attacking sarcasm or juvinile name calling. again thanks its a pleasure.