It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who's top choice at #47?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:57 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I did a mock draft yesterday, and has us taking DeAngelo WIlliams at #15, CB Richard Marshall at #47 and Elvis Dumervil at #73.

I think now our attention is going to go towards teh CBs at the beginning of Round 2. We don't have a 1st anymore.

But I think any number of the speedy corners is going to fall to us at #47. Tye Hill, Cromartie, Marshall, Kelly Jennings, or Joseph are all palyers that I don't think will go as high as some experts have predicted. In my most recent mock, I had the corners going like this:

1/9. DET - Michael Huff
1/13. BAL- Jimmy WIlliams
1/25. NYG - Antonio Cromartie
1/31. SEA - Tye Hill
2/34. NO - Johnathan Joseph
2/40. DET - Ashton Youboty
2/44. BAL - Kelly Jennings
2/47. ATL - Richard Marshall
2/52. NE - Alan Zemaitis
2/59. TB - Jason Allen

Thoughts?

Or do the Falcons instead target an OT like Daryn Colledge or Jonathan Scott at #47? I believe RB Laurence Maroney may still be available there as well.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:14 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I honestly don't even care now that we traded away our first. The draft can rot and so can McKay. nice job making a stink move before leaving us to go be the commish. Really Rich, thanks, seriously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:41 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

The_Incomparable wrote:
I honestly don't even care now that we traded away our first. The draft can rot and so can McKay. nice job making a stink move before leaving us to go be the commish. Really Rich, thanks, seriously.

:roll:

Marshall would make me happy....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:10 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I look for Cromartie or Ko Simpson in the 2nd maybe. Of course you are right, we could go OT, but I look for one of those two maybe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:32 am 
Veteran
Veteran

The_Incomparable wrote:

Honestly, we better not see you on here later on sayin how great of a move it was grabbing Abe. Our D is gonna be sick next year...

Its too bad you cant see that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:02 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

starley657 wrote:
I look for Cromartie or Ko Simpson in the 2nd maybe. Of course you are right, we could go OT, but I look for one of those two maybe.

OK, in light of the Grady Jackson visit I am back into the draft talk. I doubt either would be there, especially Cromartie. If we can get one of those 4.3-4.4 DB's in the second, it would set us up to go heavy on O linemen the next couple of rounds. We could get some very nice Guards in the 3rd and Rashad Butler in the 4th. And you will never see me say the Abraham move was a good one because we gave up way too much for an undersized, injury prone pass rusher. I can still be excited about the team though regardless, so keep your bullcocky to a minimum please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:57 pm 

In light of the recent moves, I re-did my 3-round mock draft. Here are the Falcons picks:

2/47. CB Ashton Youboty, Ohio State
3/79. RB Brian Calhoun, Wisconsin
3/93. DE Elvis Dumervil, Louisville

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:23 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Interesting picks. I always hate to see those Wisconsin & Minnesota backs but bringing one into this system might be the right move. Ashton is a decent pick at that spot, although we may be able o do better with someone falling as per the usual. Dumervil is an odd pick considering we just picked up Abraham, but I wouldn't be mad if we got him on day 2 at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:26 pm 

I don't think that Dumervil will be around that late. Maybe with our first 3rd round selection but not the later. I'm not sure Dumervil makes it out of the secound round.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:49 pm 

I just see Dumervil falling because of his size (5-11/257) and his lack of great speed (4.75). Some teams might see him as a potential OLB, but I think most others see him as a project. And typically when you look at the draft, a ton of "project" players go in Round 3. A good player, but a guy that teams probably need to invest a few years into him. Some more notable examples from recent drafts are OL Richie Incognito, RB Maurice Clarett, OL Wayne Hunter, OL Courtney Van Buren, DE/LB Will Overstreet, RB Brian Westbroook, WR Eric Crouch, LB Jorge Cordova, DB Julian Battle, and S Coy Wire.

Because of these factors, I don't see Dumervil as the type of player that many teams would want. I would have to see a team that actually prefers the smaller DEs over teams that like the 6-5/275 guys like a Ray Edwards.

Also because of free agency, there isn't an overwhelming need for DEs anymore. There are maybe 5 or 6 teams out there that are looking for starters. I think we have a really good shot of getting Dumervil in Round 3.

McKay took Dewayne White in Tampa Bay a few years back, a player similar to Dumervil, in that he hailed from Lousiville, didn't have ideal DE size (about 6-2/275), but was extremely productive in college.

Profile E-mail