It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brodney Pool now in the mix at safety
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:22 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

NFL Draft Countdown, the web's most accurate mock draft in 2004 predicts in their latest mock that the Falcons will take Pool at #27.

Pool is the FS alongside Donte Nicholson at Oklahoma. He looks like a solid prospect, a guy that some think is fast and quick enough in the hips to even play some CB. He's listed at around 6-2 or 6-3, and weighs around 205. Not very big, but he has great height, which can really come in handy in the secondary.

But the only problem I have with drafting Pool is that he's a FS. I'd rather us move Bryan Scott to FS, and draft a run-stuffing SS. Scott to me is not a run stopper, and neither is Pool as it seems. That would give us to coverage safeties in the secondary. Yes, that brings its own positives, but I guess I wanted someone that is going to be a hard-cracking enforcer in the secondary.

If we do take Pool or any otehr coverage safety in the draft, it makes it that much more important we beef up the Front 7 at DT and MLB so that there won't be too many situations where our safeties are going to have to make all the stops.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:02 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I'd love to move Scott to FS and make a run at signing Kenoy Kennedy or draft Ernest Shazor...

Post subject: Ithink Shazor won't be there in 2nd round for falcons
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:02 am 

I also would like an intimidating safety but if we can't get a hard hitter at least if Pool is drafted he gets more interceptions than what the falcon's normally get at the position.Scott Wright's NFL Countdown has the falcon's taking Ronnie fields in 2nd I totally disagree with.Fred Gibson,Mike Patterson would be much better picks.Fields can play the run but can's pass rush while patterson is just as big as coleman and can wreck havoc in the backfield.

The Falcon's had a terrible def backfield part of that probably is webster being injured but they have to do something to make it better or else QB's will continue to pass 300 yds on the defense.I can see def backfield being addressed in round 1 or 2 if the falcon's don't go def line round 1 or 2.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:42 am 
Role Player
Role Player

Capologist wrote:
I'd love to move Scott to FS and make a run at signing Kenoy Kennedy or draft Ernest Shazor...

I could go for signing Kenoy, but I'd rather not draft a safety in the first round, which is where we'd probably have to snag Shazor, unless Khalif is either off the boards or has something drop his stock into the late second round.

Even still, I think we could be better off trying to address the safety spot in FA and using the first round for a DL (retirements and possible cuts could leave us thin at DE and DT) or CB, or for offensive spots.

Post subject: Re: Brodney Pool now in the mix at safety
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:43 am 
Role Player
Role Player

Pudge wrote:
If we do take Pool or any otehr coverage safety in the draft, it makes it that much more important we beef up the Front 7 at DT and MLB so that there won't be too many situations where our safeties are going to have to make all the stops.

We should be working on our front seven in regards to stopping the run no matter who we draft. I don't care if we have Ronnie Lott and Steve Atwater back there to hammer people. I am not happy at all if a running back gets past the front seven.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:35 pm 

LO wrote:
We should be working on our front seven in regards to stopping the run no matter who we draft.

Very true LO.

I don't see Shazor going that early in the draft. My latest mock had him going #87. I think he's a tweener, and some tweeners tend to slip a bit on draft day. Some teams will see him as a OLB, some as a SS, but because he's not a "pure" anything, he won't be ranked as high as someone is a OLB or SS thru and thru. At least that's my opinion.

In the right scheme, he could be a great player. I'd like to see him come to Atlanta, but I think that our coaching staff would probably see him more as a linebacker than safety due to his size. I mean he is about the same size as Chris Draft.

Profile E-mail