All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cam Newton workout: “Phenomenal”
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:56 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Trent Dilfer of Cam Newton workout: “Phenomenal”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... henomenal/

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 10, 2011, 2:19 PM EST

NFL scouts couldn’t attend Cam Newton’s random Thursday “Media Day” workout. But if they could . . .

“That was phenomenal,” ESPN’s Trent Dilfer reports via Bruce Feldman. “If scouts saw this they’d have been slobbering.”

With all due respect to my fellow scribes in attendance, Dilfer’s opinion may be the only one that particularly matters from this workout. Dilfer does as much homework as any analyst, and he’s usually a tough critic. We trust him if he said it was an impressive session.

Tony Pauline of SI.com wrote earlier this week that “at least” six teams rank Newton as their top overall prospect in the draft. It defies belief that six teams even have a “top-ranked” player at this stage, but the note shows that Newton has some serious support within the scouting community. Not to mention with Dilfer.

“His mechanics are so sound,” Dilfer said. “The ball just jumps off his hands. He made 30 big-time throws.”

Newton’s workout on Thursday ultimately doesn’t mean that much, but it’s a good sign he’s so confident in his development. It’s a better sign that he impressed Dilfer so much.

The next step: Make the actual scouts slobber at the Combine or a real Pro Day.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Cam Newton workout: “Phenomenal”
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:27 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011 ... favre.html

http://nfl-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssp ... 8/27475591

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:11 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

I think this workout, outstanding or not, means absolutely nothing. It proves that he can make those great throws, but it doesn't prove that he can do it under the pressure that the NFL brings. Neither does it prove that he will put in the extra effort it takes to be an NFL quarterback. "A" for effort, but I don't care.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:59 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

It proves what has been suspected about Newton, Inc., all along--they are all about marketing. I hope Cam tears up the league, personally, but that sort of thing is pretty hard to predict. If I'm Carolina I might consider him as a marketing thing as well as a player of value. I'm so glad we are not picking in the top ten as of late....too much cost, too much risk!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:28 am 

NFLN's Mayock cites 'cautionary' Russell tale after Newton's workout
01:26 AMYahoo! BuzzShare
DiggNewsvineRedditE-mailSavePrintShare9
By Nate Davis, USA TODAY
98 Comments

8 Recommend Former Auburn quarterback and likely first-round draft pick Cam Newton worked out for the media at a San Diego-area high school Thursday.

While the Heisman Trophy winner got some positive reviews as he tries to tailor his game from the Tigers' spread offense to a pro scheme that requires taking direct snaps from the center -- similar to what Broncos first-rounder Tim Tebow went through a year ago -- NFL Network chief draft analyst Mike Mayock offered words of caution.Former Auburn QB Cam Newton works out in San Diego on Feb. 10.
CAPTIONBy Chris Park, AP
"I've watched five of his game tapes, he's got a classic over-hand delivery, he's got a big arm," Mayock said on Thursday's NFL Total Access.

"His mechanics are very good, but I would also (offer) one cautionary note, and that is the best pro day for a quarterback I ever attended was JaMarcus Russell. That same day, even though I admitted it was the best pro day I ever saw, I also said I wouldn't take him in the first round. For me, it's not about him throwing in shorts; it's about a lot of other things."

Russell was selected No. 1 overall by the Raiders in 2007 but was jettisoned after just three disappointing seasons.

Newton has been receiving tutelage from quarterbacks coach George Whitfield Jr. (who helped Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger during his four-game suspension to start the 2010 season) and Hall of Famer Warren Moon for the past month.

"The supporting cast that I have is pushing me to be great, I'm pushing myself to be great, and I demand greatness for myself. So coming in the door, working out every single day, I'm shooting for greatness," Newton said.

Said Moon: "Every day he does something a little bit better than he did the day before, whether it's taking the snap from center or whether it's transferring his weight from dropping back to throwing the football. That's where he's making his biggest adjustment, to me, is being able to drop back, because that's something he's never had to do."

ESPN analyst and former NFL quarterback Trent Dilfer, who focuses on breaking down college quarterbacks predraft, came away impressed.

"He is a special talent," Dilfer said. "He's uniquely gifted. To be this much of a puppy, I mean, he hasn't played a lot of true quarterback in his life; to be this refined mechanically, you don't see this very often."

Mayock, for one, continues to reserve judgment.

"To me, there are two issues with this kid," he said. "Issue number one is he came out of a shotgun, and if you watch the tape it's basically a very simple offense. One read and either the ball was out or he was out. Can he adapt to, can he process and assimilate a very structured and complex pro offense against a complex pro defense?

"And secondly, and most importantly, when you get to a certain skill level in the NFL, which this kid certainly has, at the quarterback position what kind of kid is he? Is he going to be the first guy in the building? Is he a gym rat? Is he football smart? Is he a leader of men? All of those things to me are way more important than any workout in shorts."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:53 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I don't know what Russell's rap was at LSU but Newton's while at AU was that he was a first one in and last to leave guy and a good leader. But, that may just be spin and much of it in the maelstrom of the whole pay for play scandal. He seems sort of narcissistic to me and really plays to the media ala Deion Sanders or someone like that. He's been involved in a awful lot of unsavory behavior to buy the "to good to be true" image he proffers forth which, in and of itself, is maybe the scariest thing about the guy...like one of those TV preachers with a 13 year old male lover somewhere. Well, that would actually be getting more into the realm of his father who is a proven scoundrel rather than a suspected one. Either way, it will be fun to see what happens with Cam--the next Josh Freeman or the next Ben Roethlesberger....or the next Jamarcus Russell?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:16 pm 

The thing that bothers me about Cam is that he only played 1 year of major college football, and at times in his play it showed. His footwork is terrible, and his ability to throw from the pocket (drop back, make reads, set his feet, and throw in a reasonable amount of time) is also about as developed as a freshman.

I still think he's comparable to Vince Young. People forget that people were touting Vince's leadership and ability to perform in the clutch when he was coming out at Texas. His teammates loved him and he was certainly the biggest personality in that locker room. Vick also was beloved by his teammates, but that shouldn't be confused with true leadership.

My beef with Newton is not that he won't be an effective starter, but I just think that 3-5 years just like with Vince as well with Vick, is that he's not going to be doing the things to get better from that point on. He'll come in the league and do well because of his athletic gifts, but when defenses catch up (and they always do), is he going to be doing the little things and do all the hard work in the film room and practice field to get better as a pocket passer.

And with him only playing 1 year of college football, we did not get an opportunity to see his progress from Year 1 to Year 2 which would have been a major indicator of his character/work ethic.

Overall there are just too many red flags and question marks that exist with Cam Newton in critical areas that if I'm a team picking in the Top half of the first round that would make me choose him, and make him the centerpiece of my team, as well as essentially hinging my own job security on his success.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he'll be the next JaMarcus Russell. I think he'll be an effective NFL starter like Vince Young that probably can/will win most of his games. But to me he's probably at best a below average to average starter, rather than an above average to good starter.

Profile E-mail