It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: With Luck out of the picture, does Carolina trade down?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:32 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Luck is out of the picture for Carolina. Carolina is really in a sad state talent wise. Do they trade down with a team looking for an elite WR, such as the Rams and stockpile future picks to assist in their rebuilding? Let's face it, Bradford needs someone to throw to, and A.J. Green would be a perfect fit. The question is, do the Rams feel that they are simply one receiver away from having a consistent contender? St Louis would probably have to give up this year's first, and next year's first, plus some other compensation.

I doubt that the Rams would do it. But hey, it's something to talk about in a bye week. ;)

Post subject: Re: With Luck out of the picture, does Carolina trade down?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:57 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Yes, with Luck out of the picture, if I was Carolina I would be looking to trade down. While there are definitely talented players at the top of this draft at need areas for the Panthers (WR, DE, DT, CB), none of them are players that I would consider "franchise" caliber guys.

They probably will settle on one of the other QBs like Gabbert or Locker, and while I do think those players can be better than Clausen, none of them appear to be franchise-changing QB prospects. I think there are some good QB prospects in this draft, but they are on par with the Eli Manning, Jay Cutler, Tony Romos, as opposed to the Matt Ryans and Aaron Rodgers types. And I felt the same way about Clausen a year ago, so I'm not convinced it's an upgrade.

If I was the Panthers, I would probably make a move for a veteran like Kyle Orton to hold the fort for a year and try my luck (no pun intended) again next year at the QB position.

If not a QB, then they'll probably wind up with one of the D-linemen: Bowers or Fairley with recent memories of Julius Peppers.

As for the Rams moving up to get Green, I don't think the Rams need to invest in a big-time WR. Sure, they don't have a true No. 1 receiver, but they have a lot of young, talented WRs, and Bradford is similar to Brees in that he's going to be good at spreading the ball around. Not to mention, Green isn't head over heels better than Julius Jones, Blackmon, Floyd, etc. that they could find on the board at No. 14.

If anybody is going to trade up, Tennessee, Washington, and MIami are probably the best candidates since they pick low enough that they could be on the outside looking in as far as the QB sweepstakes go at the top of the round.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: With Luck out of the picture, does Carolina trade down?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:04 pm 

Lets also remember if there is no rookie cap its extremely hard to move out of the 1st position especially with no franchise QB. I hope they get this settled and put a cap on rookies which would make it easier to make trades.

Profile E-mail