It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NFL Draftcountdown new Mock Draft 12-4-10
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:36 am 

Just saw NFL Draftcountdown has their new mock draft up. Thoughts? I sure would hate the Panthers to get Luck. He seems to be the next in line to be a top Qb in the league. The whole South division (Freeman,Ryan,Brees, and possibly luck) could be loaded at QB.
Dallas ending up with Peterson oh brother? Newman and Peterson would make for a dynamite combo at corner.Buffalo passing on Mallett would be a mistake. Fitzpatrick may be playing better but the Bills shouldn't be woed into thinking he is their QB to lead them to the promised land.

For the Falcon's I really like Justin Blackmon but he'll be long gone. Notice the Falcon's drafting 32.Guess their expecting a big year from the Falcon's. I could see Derrick Sherrod being a player that could be a Falcon. Others that I think warrant merit are Kerrigan of Purdue, corner, Bruce Carter,Watt.I'm not sure any of these players have a chance to be stars although Carter probably has more potential than the ones I mentioned. I doubt if Blackmon is available but if he was would have to think hard about taking him.Sherrod would help beef up the line and add more talent to protect Ryan. Not sure if he can play guard but if Clabo is resigned that would leave Baker and Sherrod and left guard is still a weakness.Baker would probably keep his spot and Sherrod at guard.

Obviously you want to players that have star potential but is this draft really that deep to get one late first round. The odds say no but that's why the Falcon's pay TD to find those players.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: NFL Draftcountdown new Mock Draft 12-4-10
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:51 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Looks like it's going to be a lineman heavy first round.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:51 pm 

There are alot of def ends but none look to be franchise type. I hope TD can find a gem whether def end or whatever position we draft.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:37 pm 

I'm going to throw Titus Young's name into the Falcon's first round possiblity. Blazing speed and a home run threat from what I can tell. If there are no potential playmakers left on the board come the Falcon's pick I wouldn't mind Young. This offense lacks a home run threat to open it up even more. Right now the Falcon's are playing better but a fast receiver might put this offense in another gear.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:03 pm 

Barring Young putting on 15 pounds of muscle and dominating the Senior Bowl, I would say that would be a huge reach. Young at this point is not much better a prospect than Harry Douglas. Faster, yes. Maybe an inch or so taller. But he too will not be as effective a downfield threat because of his lack of ideal size to make plays in traffic and will be limited to the slot because he's not strong/big enough to beat press coverage from NFL corners.

If the Falcons were looking for a WR in Round 1 that could stretch the field on the outside, their best options IMO are AJ Green, Julio Jones, Justin Blackmon, Michael Floyd, or Torrey Smith, all underclassmen BTW.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:20 pm 

Pudge wrote:
Barring Young putting on 15 pounds of muscle and dominating the Senior Bowl, I would say that would be a huge reach. Young at this point is not much better a prospect than Harry Douglas. Faster, yes. Maybe an inch or so taller. But he too will not be as effective a downfield threat because of his lack of ideal size to make plays in traffic and will be limited to the slot because he's not strong/big enough to beat press coverage from NFL corners.

If the Falcons were looking for a WR in Round 1 that could stretch the field on the outside, their best options IMO are AJ Green, Julio Jones, Justin Blackmon, Michael Floyd, or Torrey Smith, all underclassmen BTW.

Desean Jackson doesn't seem to be doing to badly and he is pretty small.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:32 pm 

Because Jackson has 4.3 speed, good hands, ball skills, and playmaking instincts. Young might have 4.3 speed, but lacks the hands and ball skills. IMO, Douglas has him beat in that category. If you're going to be smaller than 6-0/190, then you better clock a sub-4.4 40. Right now, Titus Young looks more like Dexter Jackson than DeSean IMO.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:49 pm 

Good point! Maybe I haven't seen enough of Young and he plays in a pass happy offense. Jackson can do many things and I'm not sure if young can. I remember Mike Wallace coming out of Texas Christian or was it Texas Tech? If we could find a receiver like that he would be the pick. I love Blackmon highly doubt he makes it to the Falcon's. the other receivers all seem to be big receivers maybe more like Roddy so that isn't bad either. I'm flexible with our pick just throwing it out there and whoever the pick is needs to eventually be a playmaker.

A playmaker for me can be any position but he must eventually be a core player.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:20 am 

Mike Wallace played at Ole Miss.

Now I'm hit and miss on receivers all the time, Wallace was one of them that I thought would be just a one-dimensional No. 3 receiver. But at least Wallace had roughly 25 pounds of muscle over Young coming into the league. And DeSean Jackson has been a better receiver than I expected him to be.

Maybe Young will be blossom similarly once he gets out of Boise. But it's telling to me that Austin Pettis is their go-to receiver in crunch situations, and Young is just the splash playmaker. He can be that in the pros, but I haven't seen much to suggest to me he'll be a better fit here in Atlanta than Douglas is.

But I still have 3 more Boise State games on DVR, and the upcoming bowl game to watch in order to change my opinion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:33 am 

Pudge wrote:
Mike Wallace played at Ole Miss.

Now I'm hit and miss on receivers all the time, Wallace was one of them that I thought would be just a one-dimensional No. 3 receiver. But at least Wallace had roughly 25 pounds of muscle over Young coming into the league. And DeSean Jackson has been a better receiver than I expected him to be.

Maybe Young will be blossom similarly once he gets out of Boise. But it's telling to me that Austin Pettis is their go-to receiver in crunch situations, and Young is just the splash playmaker. He can be that in the pros, but I haven't seen much to suggest to me he'll be a better fit here in Atlanta than Douglas is.

But I still have 3 more Boise State games on DVR, and the upcoming bowl game to watch in order to change my opinion.

Whoops! Wallace from Ole Miss my bad. Sometimes you can't tell how much of an impact certain players will have. Desean should have never slipped to round 2 and Wallace as been a major surprise. The last thing we want is the next Dexter Jackson or Doulgas as our first rounder. It's still early in the scouting process and players will slide and go up. I really don't see alot of impact players that could be had later in the 1st round so all things being equal I would take a shot at a burner which would open things up. We need quality and with Tony G sliding a little in his game it wouldn't be a bad thought thinking tight end although there is a shortage of quality.We don't want to over draft a player so this is just the begining of the scouting season. I would hope TD basis his selections on the season and not the all star games and workouts so much. I foubt Titus Young makes it late 2nd round.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:29 am 

From NFL Draftcoutndown. Sounds like a really good player!

Torrey! Torrey! Torrey!
Posted By Shane P. Hallam
The Maryland football program has churned out some tremendous athletes and amazing physical specimens in recent years. Vernon Davis, Darius Heyward-Bey, Shawne Merriman, Jared Gaither, and Kris Jenkins are just a few of the Terps who graze NFL fields on Sundays. The next big-time University of Maryland prospect is an intriguing pass catcher named Torrey Smith. Smith was one of the best prospects to come out of the state of Virginia in 2007, profiling as an athlete who had played wide receiver, running back, kick returner and punt returner at Stafford High School. After redshirting his first year, Torrey Smith exploded onto the scene with a few highlight reel catches as a freshman. Smith continued to progress and finished his sophomore season with 828 yards on 61 receptions and 5 touchdowns. Now a junior, Smith has really taken his game to the next level and developed into quite the NFL prospect. In fact, should Smith opt to leave early for the pros he could give some other high-profile pass catchers with much bigger names a run for their money.

Smith’s stats, 65 catches for 1,045 yards and 12 touchdowns, really don’t tell the whole story of how important he has been for Maryland this season. The Terps were in a position to contend for the ACC partially due to Smith’s play. In a game to knock North Carolina State out of the ACC Title game, Smith had 14 catches for 224 yards and 4 TDs, absolutely dominating the competition. Smith’s stands 6’1 with a solid frame at 205 pounds so he is certainly built like a pro already. Smith also has the strength to knock around opposing corners and get off jams with relative ease in college. Smith is explosive out of his breaks and also has the long speed to be a weapon down the field vertically. Smith uses his hands and body well, making some tough catches at times, but there are times when he has lapses in concentration on balls that are not thrown spot on. If he can learn to use his hands better when securing passes, Smith could be an elite wideout in the NFL. Add on his return ability, and you have a quite a weapon. One could even make the case that Torrey Smith profiles as a better prospect than ex-teammate Darius Heyward-Bey, although it is doubtful Smith will be drafted as high. Then again, as “DHB” showed us, you just never know on Draft Day…

The 2011 NFL Draft will likely feature a bumper crop of wide receiver prospects and everyone knows about A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Justin Blackmon, Jon Baldwin and Michael Floyd. However, Smith has the talent to be a factor in that group as well, especially if he works out as well as most Terps prospects tend to. The first or second round isn’t out of the realm of possibility for a player with Torrey Smith’s blend of size, speed and upside.

Click Here to Discuss this Entry on the “DC” Message Boards

Profile E-mail