What We're Hearing
By: Chris Horwedel
- Following the combine one scout we spoke to called Mario Williams a better prospect than Julius Peppers was when he entered the draft and went on to say that in a normal draft class, Williams would almost be a lock to go #1 overall.
- Proving that sanity does in fact reign supreme (and regardless of the media's infatuation with him) not one of the NFL people we spoke to said they would draft Jay Cutler over either Vince Young or Matt Leinart. One went on to say that "There's a grand canyon sized gap between those two (Leinart/Young) and Cutler".
- Another player who the media seems to like more than NFL people do is Louisville's Elvis Dumervil. Given his size at the combine he seems to have to play a pass rush OLB spot in the NFL and the people we spoke to had concerns about that.
- Despite his strong combine, there doesn't seem to be a lot of support for Mississippi State running back Jerious Norwood, mainly do to his lack of running instincts.
- "Michael Huff is a safety, plain and simple" said one scout we spoke to early on and that seemed the consensus. "At corner he could be similar to the kid from Jacksonville (Mathis), but as safety he's got a shot to be the best in the league in a couple years".
- Who's the #2 safety prospect in the draft? While the majority of people still feel it's South Carolina's Ko Simpson, Ohio State's Donte Whitner is gaining ground.
- "Ingle Martin went from probably signing as a free agent to potentially being picked early on day 2". Said a scout from an AFC South team.
- Another position which seemed to have a clear favorite was the defensive tackle position. But after a strong combine Broderick Bunkley has jumped ahead of Haloti Ngata on a number of team's boards.
Sometimes running the Mularkey offense makes me feel like I'm in a prison.