It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do UNC suspensions hurt players’ draft stock?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:45 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://draftace.com/blog/2010/10/11/do- ... aft-stock/

If you didn't know, Marvin Austin got dismissed from the team, and Robert Quinn and Greg Little were named ineligible for the rest of the season. Their all done for this year, and presumably for playing college football since all 3 were considered potential 1st (Austin & Quinn) or 2nd round picks (Little).

Nice read from the blog above. As far as my own personal opinion is concerned, it does hurt Austin more than the others.

Austin is essentially the guy that got all of this rolling with his stupid tweets. And I was never overly impressed with him. He would flash potential of being a dominant player, but never ever saw him take over a game like premier DTs have a tendency to do. It was the same thing with Amobi Okoye. A good player, but didn't see that "it" factor that made me feel like he was a premier DT, just a good one.

All three guys (like most of the pro prospects at UNC) are more potential than substance, none more prominent than Austin. He has very good size, strength, and you'll see excellent athleticism for a player his size. But he is not consistently quick off the snap, doesn't play with good technique (relying instead on strength & athleticism), and may have issues with motor and conditioning. And as the blog mentioned, if he shows up in February/March not in ideal playing shape (like some prominent top NFL prospects have in recent years), then if I were an NFL team, I would slap nothing higher than a 2nd round grade on him.

Greg Little reminded me a lot of Hakeem Nicks, with the size, strength, and good hands to make plays. With him missing this year, it should be presumed that his LTI (length to impact) will be a bit longer than others, so it's hard to justify taking him before the 2nd round.

I saw Quinn dominate in one game, but then be mediocre in another. So the fact that he missed this past year (his junior year) makes me weary of using a high pick on him despite the fact that he has Top 10 potential. Basically, he is like Everette Brown in that sense.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Do UNC suspensions hurt players’ draft stock?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:28 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

No it doesn't hurt them. If a team really wants them, they will ignore the suspensions.

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Do UNC suspensions hurt players’ draft stock?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:35 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

:lol: I told you s%^# was gonna hit the fan way back in the summer. This is just the first domino...