It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What a difference a QB makes
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:49 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I didn't watch this game live, just saw the game-winning TD by Tolliver. I did tape it, but at this rate I won't get to watch it until 4 weeks from now.

But it looks like Terrence Tolliver made some good plays at the end of the game to win the game for LSU. Never really looked like a playmaking receiver before with Jefferson at the QB position.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: What a difference a QB makes
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:57 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

You want to see what a difference a QB makes try watching Auburn. Without Newton we are below average...one man gang with him.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:16 pm 

Funny, how you can say the same thing about Florida and J-ville Jesus... Who woulda thought that such an overrated player could mean so much. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:27 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Pudge wrote:
Funny, how you can say the same thing about Florida and J-ville Jesus... Who woulda thought that such an overrated player could mean so much. :wink:

You are speaking of Tebow? I never said a bad word about Tebow and he and Newton are very similar. Not sure how either translate to the pro game but awesome college QBs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:48 pm 

I don't recall if you did say something bad about Tebow a year ago as it was more of a blanket statement for all the Tebow hateration that exists out there. But even I, a big fan of Tebow, am a bit surprised at how mediocre Florida is without him. For those SEC schools that always seem to have a good pipeline of talent going through there year after year, you sort of only can appreciate how good players like Percy Harvin and Tim Tebow are after they leave and how much dropoff you see with those teams without them. Urban Meyer doesn't seem like the coaching genius many pegged him to be about right now.

Alabama is apparently missing Kareem Jackson a whole bunch right now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:01 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Pudge you are giving Tebow way too much credit. FLA lost much more than Tebow. Had they had a good running game they would have beat LSU. Demps has been hurt on and off all year. The replacement players are all very young and inexperienced. Much like ALA on defense this year. I hate the Gators, and I would be last person taking up for them, but their recent bump in the road has very little to do with the lack of Tebow and more to do with rebuilding. Meyer is still a top five coach.

I know your "love" for all things Tebow is more of a gag than anything else. You really can't put your solid reputation on a guy that will be an absolute bust at the next level. He will never be anything more than a overpaid cheerleader.

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:34 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

They may have lost some talent but Tebow made FL what they were the last couple of years as much as anyone. When Leak was QB they were good but once Tebow got behind center it seemed they were much harder to beat. The LSU game wasn't as telling as the Bama game where they got trounced. I was always kind of indifferent about Tebow but never understood all the hate other than just jealousy. He carried himself with a lot of class and played hard as hell. FL is probably one of the best situations in the whole SEC as far as recruiting goes. I'm not taking anything away from Meyer but there have been some mighty good college QBs who never amounted to much in the pros.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:03 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

backnblack wrote:
They may have lost some talent but Tebow made FL what they were the last couple of years as much as anyone. When Leak was QB they were good but once Tebow got behind center it seemed they were much harder to beat. The LSU game wasn't as telling as the Bama game where they got trounced. I was always kind of indifferent about Tebow but never understood all the hate other than just jealousy. He carried himself with a lot of class and played hard as hell. FL is probably one of the best situations in the whole SEC as far as recruiting goes. I'm not taking anything away from Meyer but there have been some mighty good college QBs who never amounted to much in the pros.

Football, more than most sports is a team game. And Tebow ran the team, so he does get credit there. However on the field there were were many players that contributed to the success FLA had when they won their two championships. I admired Tebow for his leadership, but could do without all the Jesus crap. My major beef was all the huggers truly believing that he will be a good NFL QB. That is a crock.

Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:16 am 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I figured his religiosity was a big part of your distaste for him but that's another story. What he does in the NFL doesn't have anything to do with what he did at FL. Cam Newton here in Auburn doesn't really look NFL ready to me. Like Tebow he is always in the shotgun and his passing works because they are trying to stop his running. Strong arm but not really seeming like he goes through a bunch of progressions or makes a bunch of nuanced throws. But when the game gets tight they just let him run and he eats up ground. No one has really stopped him yet--on the ground. Tebow was the same way. Punishing runners and inspiring leaders.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:33 pm 

BirdBrain wrote:
Meyer is still a top five coach.

There are probably 20 coaches around the country that would be considered Top 5 coaches if they were at Florida as well... :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:28 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Pudge wrote:
BirdBrain wrote:
Meyer is still a top five coach.

There are probably 20 coaches around the country that would be considered Top 5 coaches if they were at Florida as well... :mrgreen:

While that may be true, he has been an excellent coach at all his other stops as well. Utah had no where near the talent base as FLA and he did quite well there.

Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:16 pm 

I'm not saying Meyer isn't a good coach, he proved he was good at Utah, Bowling Green, etc. But people act like he reinvented coaching once he went to Florida. He is definitely 3 or 4 wins better than Ron Zook, but I think the struggles Florida is having this year once again goes to show that success on the college level has mainly to do with talent level.

Florida just doesn't have the talent level anymore, and namely at QB.

But if you put someone like Pat Hill, Bronco Mendenhall, Bo Pelini, Randy Edsall, Greg Schiano, Skip Holtz, etc. at a school with the talent base of a Florida, they too would probably be considered Top 5 coaches IMO.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:28 pm 
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer