It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: And The Talks Continue....
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:06 am 
Veteran
Veteran

I was watching Sportscenter this morning and "The Bottom Line" said that the owners are meeting again today to make one last effort to come to an agreement on a salary cap. They also extended the deadline to terminate expiring contracts from 4pm to 10pm so that if they come to an agreement teams will be able to resign players that they would have initially cut. Man, I really hope that this gets resolved soon because I just want to watch The Falcons hit the gridiron again. Money is truly the root of all evil. well, at least as far as sports are concerned, but thats just my opinion.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:50 pm 

I heard on "The Heard" this morning that the NFL broke off talks again. That might have been from yesterday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:38 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Well now they've pushed it back to Sunday being the deadline. It gives me a bit more faint hope something can get done.

The current cap situation will have a big impact on rookie signings come June and July. I know Reggie Bush's agents are monitoring this situation carefully. In a normal year, Bush would probably be set to make $25 million in guaranteed money. I'm not sure since bonuses can only be distributed over 4 years now if that's possible.

I'm not sure how this is going to affect the rookie cap pool...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:01 am 

From Pro Football Talk about draft pick signings:

DRAFT THE NEXT THING TO GET SCREWED UP

While all of the focus of the potential CBA fallout has been on its effects as to free agency, the next nightmare looming on the horizon is the draft.

Even for teams with plenty of salary cap room, contracts for draft picks (specifically in the first round) will present a unique set of challenges. The devices that have been used of late to help funnel more money to high-end rookies without running afoul of the rookie pool and the salary cap won't necessarily work.

For example, we've heard that one team has determined that the first year of the rookie contract signed by receiver Braylon Edwards, the third pick in the 2005 draft, would consume more than $9 million in cap space if done in 2006.

As a result of the challenges relating to signing first-rounders in 2006, some league insiders believe that all players drafted in rounds two through six could receive the one-year minimum tender on a take-it-or-leave-it basis.

This would trigger unprecedented holdouts, and some players likely would opt to sit out 2006 and re-enter the draft in 2007, which either will have a new CBA in place or will be completely uncapped.

So for any player who passed on the draft in 2005 (we're thinking of you, Matt) or who decided not to wait until 2007 (we're thinking of you, Vince), that sinking feeling in your stomach right about now has nothing to do with that hunk of expired cheese you ate this afternoon.

Profile E-mail