It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jimmy Williams
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:44 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sport ... lcons.html

good read, has atl possibly eyeing him. talks like we'd look at a DE with the first pick too. safety likely through f.a. and later in the draft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:58 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

suprising to me alot of experts have the Va Tech kid falling below us in the draft. the Falcons would be CRAZY not to draft a safety with corner skills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:45 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9272024

- Huff's good, but NO WAY do I take him over Jimmy. If we can find some safeties, then we'd have the badest secondary in the league with him and DeLo.

"In my opinion he's a corner who, down the road, can become a safety," said Atlanta coach Jim Mora, a former secondary coach. "If he runs a fast 40 that will confirm it; if he doesn't, maybe you have to rethink it. But my initial thought is that he's a very good corner; someone who can do anything."

The University of Texas' Michael Huff is another defensive back who can play both positions, though most persons envision him as a safety -- and that includes Mora. Huff was the winner of the Jim Thorpe award, given annually to the nation's top defensive back; Williams was a Thorpe finalist.

Don't bother asking Williams who is better.

In fact, when he was asked what a club should do if it had the option of choosing him or former Virginia Tech cornerback DeAngelo Hall -- the eighth pick of the 2004 draft -- Williams was as quick with an answer as he is to the football.

"Me," he said. "Because I'm much bigger, more physical and I can play two positions for you. I feel great about myself. I just want to come in and play right away."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:52 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

- I guess with Huff's times he's risin into the top 10 according to Kiper. Still have no idea why William's is dropping this far, but it's good for us.

Brett from San Diego: The chargers are pretty solid on offense, except for maybe the offensive line. Do you see the chargers probably filling in their weak secondary with their 19th pick overall, or will they try to fill that gap through free agency.

Mel Kiper: (1:39 PM ET ) They need a WR, so I think Santonio Holmes would make sense. You could use a CB or FS, like a Ko Simpson or Tye Hill. Ashton Youbouty, Jimmy Williams. There are going to be some very good secondary options at 19.

Bob Loblaw (NY): Any chance of Jimmy Williams being available at 25 for the Giants? If not, would they trade up to get him?

Mel Kiper: (1:48 PM ET ) I think there are too many teams in front of the Giants that have a need at the CB/S position. Detroit, St. Louis, Dallas, San Diego, Kansas City, New England, Cincinnati all could be looking at DBs. I'd be surprised if Williams drops to them. I'm predicting Johnathan Joseph for them. Another guy that I would like to see trust his ability more is Kelly Jennings. Tye Hill would be a great pick too. There might be a chance for a CB to still be there but not Williams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:08 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I think Williams stock is all over the place, mainly because of his tweener and his attitude.

His attitude and cockiness cast him in two different lights. Some see him as DeAngelo Hall. Others as Charles Woodson. And not the good Charles Woodson, the bad Woodson that has worn out his welcome in Oakland. Those teams that like that cockiness will give him points, others will take away, meaning they'll pass on him for other positions, more "safer" picks.

You also have to factor in his tweenerness. Some see him as a CB, others as a S. If teams view him as a S, it lowers his stock, because teams are more reluctant to use 1st round picks on safeties.

When compared to Huff, Huff has done everything possible to endear him to NFL scouts. Huff ran at the Combine, when normally it would have behooved him to wait.

Huff doesn't have the same "character" issues that Williams has. I mean, it's a no brainer to take Huff over Williams. The question becomes however, how much better is Huff than Williams?

Williams is a guy that I could see going as high as #9 to Detroit, but potentially as low as #25 to the Giants. Huff on the other hand, might even go as high as #6 to the 49ers, but it be really hard for me to imagine him falling beyond #13 to Baltimore.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:51 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

You're right, Huff has endeared himself in just about every way to the scouts (Ntnl Champ, Combine workouts), while Jimmy hasn't. Charcter is obviously very important. The only thing is, after watching both play, that Williams is more of a playmaker IMO. What we need on defense is playmakers. Anyway, it looks like Huff won't be there any way you cut it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:59 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Well Jimmy supposedly ran a 4.37 on turf in his Pro Day, so this whole stock dropping thing is not gonna happen. At worst he will fall to us and we will take him. He is the #2 DB in the draft as it stands now, behind Huff & only because that stupid ref tossed him from the borl game.