It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The QB Weekend
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:49 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

It seems like this will be a weekend in which I try my best to take a look at many of the potential top QB prospects for the 2011 draft. I'm aware that most of the people that do watch college football on this board do so because they either have a favorite team or are looking for the next great Falcon player, so looking at some of these QBs may not be appealing to most. But personally, more than anything else, I find watching the next generation of future elite QBs or potential busts fascinating. Since the decisions teams make at the QB position can essentially make or break a team's success for a span of up to a decade (see Cleveland Browns and Oakland Raiders), I'm always keeping an eye out for those guys even if it's not forseeably going to be a need in Atlanta for a number of years.

ESPN is where it is at this weekend, so if you have 10 hours to spare Saturday afternoon/evening, pick up a case a beer and enjoy the QB show.

The Miami-Ohio State game will feature two juniors going head to head: Jacory Harris and Terrelle Pryor. While based off his sophomore tape, I think Harris needs a lot of seasoning, and the same coudl be said of Pryor, I do think there's a fairly good possibility one or both of those QBs could enter this year's draft class given they are two of the higher profile QBs in the nation. That game will be on at 3:30 on ESPN.

ESPN's 2nd game at 7 pm will feature Alabama QB Greg McElroy taking on Penn State. I haven't really sunk my teeth into McElroy, but he seems to be very underrated thus far. I think he is a significantly better QB than John Parker Wilson at this point in his career or at least seems to showcase some of the intangible qualities of a "winner" rather than a "manager" which Wilson never really got out under as a senior QB which is why IMO he went undrafted.

ESPN's third game at 10:30 will be Stanford taking on UCLA. UCLA has a number of good defensive NFL prospects (OLB Akeem Ayers and FS Rahim Moore) and we shall get to see Stanford super soph Andrew Luck see how he navigates them. I still think Luck is a long shot to enter this year's draft class, but given the recent history of potential No. 1 QBs not having the greatest success returning to school after being highly-rated underclassmen, he might make the money grab (he must be fairly smart if he got into Stanford ) :P

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The QB Weekend
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:57 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

I will be watching, but just one of the QB's you mentioned will ever be a solid NFL QB. Luck has a good chance. The only way Pryor has any chance is to complete his Senior season.

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The QB Weekend
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:21 pm 

I agree BB, Pryor should stay for his senior year. But I said the same thing about Josh Freeman 2 years ago and his junior year at K-State reminded me a lot of Pryor's sophomore year at Ohio State. And while I'm not ready to put Freeman in the Pantheon of Great NFL QBs, I do think he handled his rookie season at least in terms of his maturity, character, and leadership potential much better than I expected. We'll see whether or not he makes significant improvements this year with his accuracy, consistency, and decision making and his actual on-field performance.

I think in the case of Freeman as well as Mark Sanchez and Matt Stafford, this season will be a good case study on whether a kid spending what is the equivalent of his senior year as a rookie in the pros (i.e. trial by fire) is as good if not better than getting that extra year of maturity on a college campus.

I made the argument that when Sanchez came out he was emotionally mature enough to handle the transition, and a year's tutelage under a decent NFL OC would be as good if not better than another year working with Pete Carroll.

I of course could be very wrong...

Profile E-mail