It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vince Young's Wonderlic score
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:00 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

just another bit of info I pulled from the profootballtalk.com site....

VINCE IS STOOPID?

A league source tells us that there's a rumor making the rounds at the combine that Texas quarterback Vince Young scored a miserably horrible six on the Wonderlic test.

A six! That's bad. It's beyond bad. In fact, it's the lowest score that we can ever remember hearing anyone getting.

All incoming NFL players take a 50-question version of the Wonderlic, with a 12-minute window within which to finish it.

We found 15 sample Wonderlic questions on ESPN.com's page 2, including such brain-benders as selecting the ninth month of the year from among five possible choices. We'd like to think that most people of average intelligence could get at least six of the 15 sample questions right.

Getting a total of only six out of a total of 50 questions of that same kind is pa-freakin'-thetic. For a guy who's going to be called upon to read defenses and call audibles and work through a progression of receivers against NFL-caliber opposition, it's downright scary.

The source tells us that he hasn't seen the result in writing yet, but that he's "99 percent" certain that Young's score was six.

Said the source, who knows a thing or two about evaluating college players:

"I predict he'll fall all the way out of the first round."

That's a bold statement, and we're not saying that we agree with it -- primarily because our guess is that there's someone almost dumb enough to get a six on the Wonderlic, who'll overlook Young's low score along with any other concerns that might come to light over the next two months

a 6? he scored a 6? If this is true I can see him falling really far...go to the ESPN page 2 link in that article and look at some of the questions yourself to get an idea of how dumb you really have to be to score a 6...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:52 pm 
Former FRN Affiliate
Former FRN Affiliate

"With the 2nd pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, The New Orleans Saints select Matt Leinart, quarterback, Southern California!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:29 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Well there's been talk that the Titans like Cutler more than Young anyway, so if that's the case then this will really push them to take Cutler now. Young could drop like Rodgers from last year. It'll be interesting to see what becomes of this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:25 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Yeah there is a rule that a QB has to score at least a 20 to be considered smart enough for the position in the NFL. Vick scored that minimal amount, silencing the doubters at the time if he was smart enough.

There are such people that are poor test takers out there in the world, but I wouldn't exactly want that person being my QB. You start to wonder about Vince's preparation if he scored so low on the test. Even if he's smarter than a 6, then you wonder what he did to screw up the test.

I agree, I think the lowest score I've ever seen was an 8 or a 9 on the Wonderlic. I'm not sure how far Young will fall, but I doubt he'll fall out the 1st round. I doubt even with a 6 score, he'll fall out the Top 20.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: False score gives Young wrong kind of buzz
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:17 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3687374.html

INDIANAPOLIS - Like his performance in the Rose Bowl, quarterback Vince Young rallied from a huge deficit to pull out a personal victory that might have earned him millions of dollars.

On Saturday, a rumor that Young had scored a 6 on the Wonderlic test sent shock waves through the combine. No coach, scout or general manager surveyed could produce an example of a starting quarterback with a single-digit Wonderlic score.

The test — 50 multiple-choice, non-football questions in 12 minutes — is a barometer that teams use to gauge a prospect's ability to learn.

On Sunday, the combine said the test score of 6 that was being reported by some media outlets was false.

"I've been told it was inaccurate by a source good enough for me to quote it," Texans general manager Charley Casserly said Sunday afternoon.

Young took the test again and scored 16. According to Young's agent, Major Adams, the Sunday test was administered by Jeff Foster, executive director of National Scouting Combine.

"The combine officials assured us that score (6) was false and that the accurate score will be known when the combine results are given to each team," Adams said.

Wonderlic scores are supposed to be confidential and are never confirmed publicly by the NFL. Because they are included in combine results given to teams after the combine, scores leak out.

"The number really doesn't mean anything to us because we go through a process of four or five other ways to evaluate it," Casserly said. "The number's insignificant to us in the end. It's the other areas that we put more weight on."

Prospects can take the Wonderlic tests as many times as they want.

"I heard about the 6," Tennessee general manager Floyd Reese said Sunday morning. "I heard the test was improperly given, and I heard they're going to try and correct it.

"It could be improperly given because of time. It could be improperly given because when you correct it, there are like six or seven different tests. If you correct Test A with a correct sheet for Test C, it's not going to come out very well."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:42 pm 

A 16??? Wow. I went through the sample questions on Page 2 and got a 19 of 20 inside 5 minutes (missed one because I read it wrong). Are NFL players really that bad?