Post subject: Preseason Scouting Report: TE Luke Stocker, Tennessee
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:19 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Luke Stocker
6-5/252, Senior
Tennessee

Pros:

Has good, soft hands. Shows nice body control and ability to adjust to the throw. Does a good job turning upfield quickly after making the catch to pick up maximum yards after the catch. Will run hard after the catch. Has the body and size to be able to make the catch in traffic, doing a nice job shielding defenders from the ball. Is an effective blocker that is able to get position and provide some push against linebackers on the edge. Shows good effort there and will play to the whistle, finishing his blocks. Can get the seal block. Shows ability to work as an inline blocker or as an H-back.

Cons:

Inconsistent blocker that needs to show better pop off the snap. Also needs to improve his hand placement and be more consistent getting position. Doesn't always hold his blocks when he does get proper position. Doesn't show great burst or ability to really stretch the defense.

Overall:

A good receiver that has the ability to be a steady security blanket for a quarterback in the middle of the field. Stocker runs a lot of shorter routes, but he flashes playmaking speed and ability. Works both as an inline blocker and H-back, but shows a bit more consistency with hitting his assignments when he's working inline. Is a capable as a blocker, but not great there. But shows the potential to be a more effective blocker down the line. Comparisons to Jason Witten aren't that far off if he can get in the right system on the next level.

What I Want to See in 2010:

I want to see more consistency as a blocker. Getting stronger and showing better hand placement and pop off the snap would help there. As a receiver, I'd like to see Tennessee's offense make better use of him down the field. It'll be interesting to see if his production increases this year. He'll have a new quarterback (Matt Simms), but the main thing with him is probably going to be used a lot more in the redzone. There isn't a whole lot of improvement I expect out of Stocker. As a blocker, I think he'll get much better coaching at the next level to try and develop that ability. And I think an NFL quarterback will probably find him a more valuable asset than he's been used so far at Tennessee.

2011 Projection:

He has first round potential. The comparisons to Witten could certainly help his stock, who was a third round pick that is an elite tight end today. He has all the tools you want to see in an first round pick, but it will likely depend on his production and his workouts, namely his speed. He has good speed, but running the 4.6-4.7 range isn't going to do much to help his stock. More than likely, Stocker will be a first or second round pick based off the initial read that this will be a down year for tight ends. THat could push him into the first round as the best of the bunch, but more likely he'll go somewhere in the middle-to-late part of the second round.

Profile E-mail