Post subject: Preseason Scouting Report: DT Jared Crick, Nebraska
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:46 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Jared Crick
6-6/285, Junior
Nebraska

Pros:

Has a nice first step and shows good straight-line burst and speed upfield. Shows ability to beat the guard with a speed rush outside. Is able to shoot gaps and does a good job on stunts. Shows a nice swim move when he lines up at the nose. Has a good motor and does a nice job chasing down a scrambling quarterback. Does a good job in pursuit and works down the line laterally to make the stop on the ballcarrier. Does a nice job playing contain and will make the tackle on the passer when he steps up in the pocket.

Cons:

Doesn't quite get good leverage vs. the run, particularly at the point of attack. Has trouble getting off blocks and making stop vs. the run. Needs to do a better job firing off the ball, espeically in short yardage. Can get pushed around a bit vs. the run. Needs to show better hand technique and a better array of pass-rush moves.

Overall:

Crick is a good pass rusher that made a lot of plays last year, complementing Ndamukong Suh. Since Suh drew so many double teams, it freed him up to make plays. He plays right tackle for the Huskers and often lined up in a 1 or 2-gap technique, but seems to fit much better in a 3-technique. He's a good pass rusher, but not sure he has the array of moves you relaly like there. Tends to rely on his speed and strength more than technique and moves. Needs to improve vs. the run, as he's not that stout. But he's a playmaker that looks like he fits very well as a 3-technique DT or a 5-technique DE in a 3-4 scheme.

What I Want to See in 2010:

I want to see him mainly improve vs. the run. Be more of a force at the point of attack. That might require him to add a bit more bulk, as his frame could probably carry another 20 or so pounds fairly easily. Also want to see him add a better array of pass rush moves, although I know he's effective there. He'll be facing many more double teams this year, so it'll be interesting to see if there is a big drop in his production. He had 9.5 sacks and 15 tackles for loss last year, so that will be something to keep your eye on. But he still should be very productive since the Big 12 isn't necessarily stacked with top interior linemen.

2011 Projection:

With another productive year, Crick could/should come out early. Right now, I think his stock might be hurt because there will be many comparisons to Adam Carriker, who has struggled thus far in the pros. If Carriker has a good year in Washington's 3-4 defense this year, then it shouldn't hurt Crick much at all. But teams won't be able to deny his production if it remains at a high level. 3-4 teams will like him, and more than likely he'll be a late first round pick like a Jared Odrick. Not sure 4-3 teams will love him. He might fall into the second round if his production tails off a bit too much, but another big year (e.g. double digit sacks) could boost his stock enough where he goes in the middle of the first round between picks 10-15. I don't see him being a Top 10 pick however, not with other good 3-4 DEs like Cameron Heyward and Adrian Clayborn potentially available.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Preseason Scouting Report: DT Jared Crick, Nebraska
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:33 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

I like Crick a lot. He should flourish in the aggressive black shirt defense.

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail