Post subject: Preseason Scouting Report: DT Drake Nevis, LSU
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:36 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Drake Nevis
6-1/292, Senior
LSU

Pros:

Has the bulk and size to make plays at the point of attack. Shows willingness to chase in pursuit, showing a good motor. Will fight through double teams. Does a good job working in a short-area. Can drop off in zone coverage and moves well for his size. Has a decent first step to press the line of scrimmage, and occasionally make stops in pursuit or in the backfield.

Cons:

Needs to do a better job disengaging from the blocker, and outside his swim move doesn't show great hand technique. Lacks the first step to relaly be a factor as a pass rusher. Doesn't have the burst or ability to close on the ball and quarterback to make the play. Lacks the range to really make plays outside the hashmarks.

Overall:

Nevis is a good short-area player that plays the nose for LSU. He rotated with Al Woods last year, but should get the bulk of the carries this year. He fits very well as a 3-4 nose tackle at the next level although he doesn't have the massive bulk NFL teams tend to like. But with his short frame, he probably doesn't need to get a whole lot bigger. He is a high motor, which may partially due to him being a part-time player. Not sure you can count on his effort being there if he was playing double the snaps, but in this day and age teams are rotating their noses more and more. For example, a few years ago Casey Hampton played 50 or so snaps a game. Now he only plays around 30, which is the case for most 3-4 NTs around the league nowadays.

What I Want to See in 2010:

I want to see him make more impact plays vs. the run. I don't really care about him as a pass rusher. He is effective there in college, but won't really be that great there on the next level, especially if he plays in a 3-4 scheme. I want him to do a better job disengaging from blockers and making stops at the point of attack. Also want to see him to keep blockers off MLB Kelvin Shepherd to free him up to make a lot more tackles. But there really isn't a lot of improvement for Nevis to make, you just want to see him make more impact plays as he takes a more prominent role in the rotation.

2011 Projection:

It seems harder for 3-4 nose tackles to creep into the top of the first round, although if the right team is there later in that round, I could see him going there like a Dan Williams. But more likely, he'll probably wait until the second round. He's a player in the same vein as someone like Torrell Troup, and I think should be at least a Top 50 pick.

Profile E-mail