Post subject: Preseason Scouting Report: OT DeMarcus Love, Arkansas
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:23 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

DeMarcus Love
6-5/315, Senior
Arkansas

Pros:

Shows potential as a drive blocker, able to show pop off the snap and get some push as a run blocker. Gets position and does a nice job sealing the edge or making the kick-out block. Shows decent athleticism and foot speed to mirror pass rushers. Gets quickly into his set. Shows he can finish plays and has ability to cut block defender. Effective when asked to block on the second level.

Cons:

Needs to polish up his technique and footwork. Doesn't stay square long enough in his pass set. Has a hard time initiating contact and delivering a good hand punch. Doesn't always play with great base and can be bull-rushed. Also tends to lunge and overextend, and struggles with his hand placement. Will miss some blocks as a run defender because he doesn't always take good angles.

Overall:

He plays strongside tackle for Arkansas, which means he plays on either side of the line, but is usually covered up by a tight end. Has the athleticism to play left tackle on the next level, and you see flashes of the tools that you like in projecting him there. But he's raw and his technique needs work. He is much more effective as a zone blocker than potentially as a man blocker thus far based on his technique. And I'm not sure he is going to be able to play left tackle on the next level without significant improvement to his technique.

What I Want to See in 2010:

The main thing is him improving his technique and being a much more consistent player snap to snap. In the two games I watched him (vs. LSU and East Carolina), he was very inconsistent snap to snap and struggled quite a bit in pass protection for the most part. Definitely did not play at a level that I would consider him a potential first round pick as a left tackle. I read he will play the weakside tackle this year, which is much more akin to left tackle on the next level because he won't be protected by a tight end. A smooth transition there and better technique, and he could move up quite a bit in my eyes.

2011 Projection:

I keep seeing him ranked as one of the premier OTs in the country, but I just didn't see it in the two games I saw. He looks more like Tony Ugoh than Ryan Clady if you ask me. Ugoh was a Razorback and second round pick, but hasn't lived up to his potential in Indianapolis. With a good senior year and the need for quality offensive tackles high currently in the league, I could see him being a first round pick, but it's hard seeing him as a Top 20 pick unless he's drastically improved. But right now, I'd grade him as a 2nd round pick more for need rather than ability. He meshes more with the talent I see in the third round at tackle.

Profile E-mail