Post subject: Preseason Scouting Report: OT/OG Clint Boling, Georgia
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:05 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Clint Boling
6-5/310, Senior
Georgia

Pros:

Shows good technique in pass protection, staying square. Will deliver a punch and initiate contact with the pass rusher. Shows some pop off the snap as a run blocker and is able to get position. Can make the kick out block to get the seal against linebacker, and capable on the second level. Does a nice job finishing his blocks. Flashes potential as a cut blocker. Has some mobility to think he can pull. Works best in confined space and when he's covered up by a tight end.

Cons:

Lacks quick feet or athleticism to be a reliable option on the outside on an island. Will struggle against speed rushers as a tackle. Lacks strength and is not a threat to push the pile. Doesn't have a strong punch and struggles at times to lock onto defender. Although uses good technique in his pass set, will sometimes get too deep. Misses assignments when asked to pull.

Overall:

I'm not so sure why Boling is so highly rated. He's a good player, but nothing about him stands out from what I've seen. He is versatile, starting at both tackle spots for Georgia this past year and has past experience as a guard. "Effective" would be the term I would use to describe him. He's versatile which means he has a good chance of sticking on the next level, but he would be a mid-level starter at best. For his career he has 13 starts at left tackle, 14 at right guard, and 9 at right tackle. His best position for the pros appears to be inside at guard. He's just not athletic enough or strong enough to really project well on the outside. He could be a capable right tackle in a zone-blocking line that prefers undersized guys. But he's someone that probably needs to get up to around 320 or so to really be most effective.

What I Want to See in 2010:

If he could be a bit bigger and stronger that would be a plus. But mainly I want to see consistency in terms of his pass protection technique and ability to get position as a run blocker. It would also be nice to see him stick at a single position and not be moved around. It seems he's projected to be the left tackle this year, but we'll see how long that lasts. If he does stay at left tackle, seeing his development as far as technique, strength, and whether he can play with quicker feet will go a long way to improving his NFL stock.

2011 Projection:

He looks like a middle round prospect for me. As a guard, he might be able to sneak up into the earlier rounds, but as an offensive tackle he's more on par with guys that will be drafted in the fifth round or later. The best case scenario is him really blossoming as a left tackle prospect this year, and some team taking him in the second round as a guard convert in the same vein as a player like Zane Beadles, who went 45th overall to the Broncos. But at this point I would consider him a fourth round talent with third round value because of his versatility.

Profile E-mail