It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mayock will announce Notre Dame games
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:44 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Mike Mayock comes to NBC for Notre Dame games
Posted by Mike Florio on August 2, 2010 4:27 PM ET
Lately, the folks at NFL Network have been hiring up folks from other networks to moonlight at NFLN. We suppose it's only fitting, then, that one of their guys gets hired to moonlight at another network.

NFL Network draft guru Mike Mayock will be replacing Pat Haden as the game analyst for NBC's coverage of Notre Dame football. Mayock joins Tom Hammond in the booth.

"Mike's knowledge of and passion for college football has resulted in him becoming one of the most respected voices in the game," NBC Sports executive producer Sam Flood said in a news release. "He possesses a relentless work ethic and perfect pedigree as a former player and son of a coach. We are excited to add him to our team."

Mayock, who played defensive back at Boston College, was picked by the Steelers in round 10 of the 1981 draft. He spent two seasons with the Giants.

"As the son of a coach and someone who has been around football my entire life, my favorite part of sports television has always been broadcasting games," Mayock said. "The fact that I will now provide commentary on one of the most historically important teams in the history of college football on NBC Sports makes me about as happy as I can be as a sports broadcaster."

Mayock's first assignment comes on September 4, when the Irish host Purdue. And if you tune in for halftime, you might catch a few minutes from a certain Internet hack who'll be sneaking into 30 Rock that day to talk NFL with Jimmy Roberts and Peter King.

Profile E-mail