It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pudge's Mock Draft (Pre-Combine)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:15 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

This is a mix of what I think the Falcons would do and a bit of what I would do.

Trades

We trade Schaub to the Jets for their early 2nd rounder (#35) and Duckett to Pittsburgh for their 3rd (#96)

1. DE Tamba Hali, Penn State - A pass rusher that we all may not like or love, but I think he's exactly the type of player that Mora & Co. like, and they will put him across Kerney, and let him grow into a solid pro

2a (from NYJ). CB Richard Marshall, Fresno State - A speedy corner that can immediately fill the nickel, and possibly start across Hall in 2007. Gives the Falcons probably the fastest pair of starting corners in the league.

2b. S Ko Simpson, South Carolina - A ballhawk safety that hopefully can be everything that the team wanted Bryan Scott to be. Will slide in at SS here and should do a lot to help the secondary.

3a. OT Daryn Colledge, Boise State - Ideal fit and target to replace Shaffer at LT and compete with Omiyale. Needs work, but should be a bookend LT for years to come.

3b. (from PIT) RB Maurice Drew, UCLA - A quick back that should be dubbed as the heir apparent to Dunn. Fits due to his relationship with some members of the coaching staff. Not a physical replacement for Duckett, but helps on special teams and the team will highlight speed over power in the running game this year.

4. OG Mark Setterstrom, Minnesota - Has not had a good off-season thus far, but is still a good fit on the interior for us. Let Gibbs/Cable work with him for a year, and should be a starter down the road.

5. QB Drew Olson, UCLA - Seems liek the best fit when it comes to replacing Schaub. Unlike most other QBs coming out, probably is the most adept at running the WCO.

6. WR Clint Solomon, Iowa - A big wideout that stands out as a blocker. What else do you need to be a Falcons receiver. Future replacment for Finneran at #3.

7. S Jarrad Page, UCLA - A run stuffing safety that brings size and can work at FS.

I do realize I have us taking 3 players from UCLA. Not entirely because of Cable's presence here, but I think without even Cable, the Falcons would be interested in all 3 players.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:10 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I'd be pretty happy with that draft...bring in a vet a DT and safety and we'd be good to go!

Post subject: My thoughts !
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:12 am 

Pudge,I would be very happy if the draft went as you planned.Just a few thoughts about the picks.

1.Hali -he didn't impress me in the bowl game but being that def end is extremely weak on the falcons and the draft as a whole Hali hopefully will be a decent sack artist.We need someone desperately on the other side of kerney.Without a pass rush no matter how good your DBs are they can cover forever.
2.Marshall - I don't know alot about him but I hope he is exceptional at coverage.Webster won't be a starter that much longer in terms of skill and cost so we need someone to groom with this pick.
2.Simpson - I would be extremely surprised if he dropped in the second.This would be a steal if simpson was there.I am thinking he won'tbe and the falcon's draft Bullocks in the second and the top safeties will begone for ths pick.
3.Colledge - this would be a steal if colledge lasted here.Some have him at guard others tackle.We must get an off linemen that can pass block and run block.
3.Drew - I know he produced at UCLA but reading Scott Wright's report on him compared him to westbrook I might wait one more round to fill the need and draft another position.
4.Setterstrom - good pick no argument!
5.Olsen - another good pick would fit in this offensive scheme and may develop to boost his value
6.Soloman - don'[t know alot about him can he catch the ball.Without Finn we have no big go to guy although jenkins and white are pretty big not as tall as finn.
7. Page - a good pick either him or Scott ?? the guy out of USC I would take here.

Overall most if not all players played at major programs and if not are well thought of. Gone are the days when we had to wait for Reeve's picks from Kent State and using the draft as special teams players.Each player picked Pudge there is a reason to fill a need not drafting for backups(Reeve's).

Profile E-mail