It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UNC's Bruce Carter heads 'Freaks' list
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:33 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Thursday, June 24, 2010
ESPN.com Insider: Feldman

Of all the lists I've done on this blog over the past few years (and I do one every Wednesday these days), none generates as much feedback as the annual "Freaks" list. This top 10 spotlights the top workout warriors or players who often dazzle their teammates and coaches by the numbers they can put up in the weight room, on the track or in some other "wow" capacity of athleticism. And thanks to the help of many coaches, players and sports information directors around the country, we have the 2010 edition.

1. Bruce Carter, LB, North Carolina Tar Heels
This defense is overflowing with freaks (Mel Kiper thinks so too), but it's Carter -- a three-year starter at OLB who has led the nation with five blocked kicks -- who merits top freak status this year. He's part of the country's fastest linebacking corps. Carter's workout numbers are every bit as impressive as his football stats. He has set UNC linebacker records in the power clear (374) and the vertical jump (40.5 inches). The 238-pounder has also been clocked at 4.39 in the 40 and bench-presses 440. Asked which of the testing numbers he's most proud of, Carter says it's his power clean, which is tied for tops on the team with DE Robert Quinn and Zach Pianalto. "It measures the explosiveness the most," said the former high school quarterback. Perhaps the biggest freak quality of all about Carter goes back to this: We got to talking about his eating habits when I interviewed him.

"How strict are you about diet?" I asked.

"Well, not very. I eat a lot of McDonald's and fast foods, but I do work out real hard."

"Like how much McDonald's?"

"Almost every day. I usually get three double cheeseburgers, medium fries, large tea and a six-piece McNuggets. I don't think eating healthy as far as eating salads and that stuff really works for me."

Apparently that McFeast does, though.

2. Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU Tigers
Wonder why a lot of folks think Peterson is the best cornerback in the country? Get a load of the numbers he produced in the Tigers' spring testing: He went 11 feet and one inch in the broad jump (second on the team), 39 inches in the vertical (second on the team) and squatted 535 pounds (second on the team). Oh, and he also ran two 4.37 laser-timed 40s, according to LSU strength coach Tommy Moffitt. "And he weighed 220 pounds when he did that," Moffitt said. "He's 6-foot-1 and some change. The guy is a freak. Freak. Honestly, this guy would outrun [former LSU sprint champ] Trindon [Holliday] in the 40. In the 100, it wouldn't be close, and Trindon would probably get him in the 60, but in the 40, Patrick's gonna win. Trindon would be so mad if he heard me say that."

3. Allen Bailey, DE, Miami (FL) Hurricanes
Three-hundred-pound football players simply aren't put together like Bailey, who has become a fixture on this list. It also doesn't hurt that he has such a Bunyanesque background; he once killed an alligator with a shovel. Bailey led UM in sacks (seven) and TFLs (11) last season despite bouncing between tackle and end. I asked his pal DeMarcus Van Dyke, a starting CB at Miami: What's the most impressive thing he's seen Bailey do?

"I've been his roommate for three years. Our freshman year, he picked me up by my feet with one hand and hung me upside down," said VanDyke, who added that he's also witnessed Bailey power-clean 400 pounds, vertical 39 inches and run a 4.65 40.

4. Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State Beavers
The former rugby star is the definition of the term "powerhouse." There's YouTube footage of him cranking out 44 reps at 225 pounds; watch that right here. OSU strength coach Bryan Miller recently told colleague Ted Miller he thinks Paea could pump out 50 reps at 225 at next year's NFL combine.

When I visited Corvallis two months ago, Paea said he used to not be anywhere near this strong. He said his bench max in high school was 205. He's not sure exactly what he could max out at now, but knows it would be over 500 pounds. "My goal is a lot of reps," he said. "I did 25 [reps] at 315 in the winter. I also told them not to record any more."

5. Nate Solder, OT, Colorado Buffaloes
It's been a tough road for Buffs coach Dan Hawkins, especially since many of his highly touted recruits have fizzled in Boulder. But don't blame Solder, an unheralded prospect, who has really developed. Solder's measurables, according to CU strength and conditioning, are awe-inspiring. At 6-foot-8, 305 pounds, he has only 6.5 percent body fat. He power-cleans 415 for three reps, hang-cleans 473 for three reps and has been clocked in the 40 in 4.91 seconds. He also has vertical-jumped 32 inches.

"At 6-8, Nate bends as well as anyone on the team," said CU strength coach Jeff Pitman.

6. Jeff Demps, RB, Florida Gators:
Not just the fastest man in college football, Demps is also officially the fastest man in college. And, so what if his winning time at the NCAA outdoor 100 meters race was "wind-aided?" Anything under 10 seconds -- wind-aided or not -- is getting you a spot on this list. All Demps has done since arriving in Gainesville is win five national championship rings.

Despite his amazing track pedigree, Demps has decided not to compete at the upcoming USA Track and Field Championships. Instead, Demps is focusing on conditioning for football and attending classes, according to UF spokesman Sean Cartell.

7. Noel Devine, RB, West Virginia Mountaineers
He's got a very, very long resume of stunning runs on YouTube back to his high school days. The 5-foot-7, 176-pound Devine is spectacular talent with heart-stopping change of direction and explosiveness. "Nobody has his change of direction," proclaims WVU coach Bill Stewart. "Nobody -- NOBODY! -- has his burst. Nobody has his strength. I don't care if they're 5-foot-11, 210 pounds. This guy is phenomenal. His bench is well in the 400s. His squat is well in the 500s. He is the strongest pound-for-pound football player we have ever had. This guy is a foot-ball player."

8. John Simon, DL, Ohio State Buckeyes
Youngstown, Ohio has produced more than its share of tough football guys. The 6-foot-2, 270-pound Simon is just the latest in an impressive line. The book on this guy, only in his second year in the program, is really something. Simon's work ethic and motor have been wowing the staff from the moment he arrived at OSU. The pace he sets in the weight room is insane, we're told; what it takes most players two hours to do, he'll do in 30 minutes. He can already do 40 reps at 225 and has run an electronic 4.8 in the 40. "He's the only D-lineman we have with a six-pack," reports a staffer. Buckeye strength coach Jeff Uhlenhake was an All-American at OSU in the '80s and spent 10 years in the NFL. "John Simon is the best total package workout guy I've ever been around, in college, in the pros, as a coach, anybody," said Uhlenhake. "He is amazing."

Jonathan Baldwin could be the first WR off the board in the 2011 NFL draft.
9. Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh Panthers
The Panthers have produced some superb receivers in the past decade, most notably Larry Fitzgerald and Antonio Bryant. Neither of those guys, for as gifted and productive as they were, are the specimen the 6-foot-5, 228-pound Baldwin is. The junior benches 360, ran the 40-yard dash in 4.37 and puts up the freak numbers with a 42-inch vertical and an 11-foot broad jump. More impressively, Baldwin is coming off a breakout season where he caught 57 passes for 1,111 yards and eight TDs. Buddy Morris, the Panthers' veteran strength coach, who was with the Panthers in the days of Hugh Green and some of those greats, has high praise of the big wideout. "What really stands out about him is that everything is just very natural for him," Morris said. "Things came very easy for Curtis Martin, Ruben Brown, and it's the same with Jonathan."

10a. Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama Crimson Tide
The Tide has a devastating one-two punch in the backfield with Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram and this rising star. Richardson proved to be quite the strongman before he ever set foot in Tuscaloosa, winning a state weight lifting title at Emmitt Smith's alma mater in Pensacola, Fla. In Tide strength coach Scott Cochran's program, Richardson has only become that much stronger. He's already touts a 380-pound power clean, a 420-pound bench and squats 600 pounds to go with his exceptionally nimble feet.

10b. Ryan Bartholomew, C, Syracuse Orange
One of the few true bright sports around this program last season, Bartholomew started at both guard and center last season. SU coach Doug Marrone, an old line coach himself, has been around some phenomenal athletic centers and has an interesting perspective of Bartholomew. "He is such a gifted athlete," Marrone said. "He's a legit sub-5.0 flat guy. (Kevin) Mawae was an (eight)-time Pro Bowler. (Jeff) Faine was the highest-paid center in the NFL. He can run like Mawae, who can really run. (Bartholomew) has all the numbers. The other big number that he will have is the Wonderlic score. He's extremely intelligent."

Marrone isn't just impressed that his center has also benched 525, but at the understated way the kid handled it. "I'd be doing jumping jacks and might have a party with a cake on it that said "525" with dumbbells on it, if I did that," said Marrone. "He's just going about his business."

Just missed the cut: Robert Griffin, Baylor, QB; Dontay Moch, Nevada, DE; Zach Brown, UNC, OLB; Jake Locker, Washington, QB; Martez Wilson, Illinois, LB; Anthony Gray, So. Miss, DL; Terrelle Pryor, Ohio State, QB; Jordan Pendleton, BYU, LB; BJ Daniels, USF, QB; Jeff Fuller, A&M, WR; Michael Ford, LSU, RB; Ryan Mallett, Ark., QB; Luther Ambrose, ULM, WR; Ronnell Lewis, OU, LB; Zaviar Gooden, Mizzou, OLB; Tyron Carier, Houston, WR; Sam McGuffie, Rice, RB; Dontell Watkins, Utah State, WR; Dont'a Hightower, Bama, LB; Jeff Luc, FSU, LB; Brooks Reed, Arizona, DE and Damaris Johnson, Tulsa, WR.

Around College Football

• Does Penn State have some upperclass talent with first-round potential? RB Evan Royster and senior offensive lineman Stefen Wisniewski appear to be the most viable hopefuls, writes Jared Shanker:

"Wisniewski's a really good, consistent offensive lineman," said former NFL scout Dan Shonka. "He can play guard some teams might say, 'We love him to play center, because we're playing a lot of 3-4 teams like the [Pittsburgh] Steelers.' He can even get you a game at tackle if something happened. If one of those tackles goes down, you gotta have a guy that at least has the ability to plug the dike, and that's something Wisniewski can do."

• Former Texas DB Marcus Davis has enrolled at Oregon for summer classes, writes Ron Bellamy:

Davis, from League City, Texas, was suspended "indefinitely" and for the rest of the season last November by Brown after being arrested and charged with suspicion of driving while intoxicated and possession of a controlled substance. According to a police report in Pearland, Texas, police received a 6:48 a.m. report on Nov. 29 describing a blue SUV riding on the rim of at least one blown tire and subsequently arrested Davis, then 18. The police report indicated that the controlled substance was Alprazolam, a medication prescribed to control anxiety.

Ultimately, that charge was dropped. In December, Davis pleaded guilty to reckless driving, a misdemeanor. He was sentenced to 30 days in jail, probation for a year, fined $200 and ordered to pay court costs and other restitution and fees totalling $1,630. He was also ordered to complete 60 hours of community service; court records show that he completed the community service by late April.

Davis was the nation's No.8 ranked CB and 78th overall recruit in the class of 2009.

Frank Beamer went and got himself another elite recruit.
• A decade ago, Iowa benefitted from the grit of rugged D-lineman Matt Roth. Frank Beamer hopes the Matt Roth he just landed can have a similar impact at Va. Tech. This Matt Roth is ranked as the No. 27 DE in the country.

Roth made his choice after fielding offers from reportedly more than 25 major college programs, including South Carolina and Georgia Tech, reports Danny Klein:

He chose the Hokies after a recent visit. "I had a great visit," Roth said. "I really felt a part of the family. I had a great time up there. It's a top 10 program in the country. At the end of the day, it was an opportunity I couldn't pass up."

Roth recorded 13.5 sacks and 88 total tackles as a junior.

• Speaking of Iowa, the Hawkeyes have five commitments. Three are wide receivers, including the latest pick-up Texan Austin Vincent, who could be a "steal" as Marc Morehouse reports:

"I can see Texas not taking a look or offering him," said Vincent's high school coach. "But I really think the rest of the Texas schools lost out. He's going to be a good one."

The 6-foot-0, 172-pound Vincent ran a 4.61 40 at a recent combine.

• Nebraska has its 12th Class of 2011 commitment in towering three-star OT Zach Sterup from Hastings, Neb. The 6-foot-8, 270-pound Sterup, ranked as the No. 27 OT prospect in the country, chose the Huskers over Iowa. "I wasn't going to worry about it until the day would come that I'd have to decide where to go," Sterup told the Grand Island Independent. "I'm obviously appreciative that Nebraska did end up offering, but I understood what they were doing. I'm just glad they did."

• Marc Mustoe, an OT, who has been offered by more than half of the Pac-10, has committed to UCLA. The 6-foot-6, 270-pounder from Colorado is the country's No. 36 tackle recruit:

The ESPN scouting report: This prospect has all the tools to be a successful run blocker at the next level. We like the aggressive, tough finishing attitude he brings to the game; it's what we like to see in offensive linemen. Mustoe may need some time to grow physically and refine his techniques however early playing time is a possibility if a red shirt year is not deemed necessary. Regardless, this player should have a long and productive career at the BCS level of play."

• Jalen Schlachter is just the latest to join a large group of prospects already committed to Indiana, writes Bill Kurelic:

This was a big commitment for the Lynch and the Hoosiers because Schlachter picked Indiana over scholarship offers from Wisconsin, Missouri and Central Michigan. "I like the atmosphere at Indiana and the program is on the rise," Schlachter said. "There are a lot of good people there and the campus is great."

In recent years conference powerhouses Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan have hauled in commitments often and early. Lynch is taking a page out of the same book this recruiting season. The Hoosiers' 17 commitments represent the most of any school in the conference. The Buckeyes are second with 15.

Max Pirman, the No. 37 OLB, is the top-rated IU commit of the group.

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: UNC's Bruce Carter heads 'Freaks' list
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:18 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

BB, you're gonna get a closeup with that vaunted UNC D in week 1 right?

Pudge, not familiar w/ Baldwin, but man that is some freak nasty numbers fwiw.

On another note, nobody has the strength of Noel Devine, okay Stewart :roll: .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:24 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

widetrak21 wrote:
BB, you're gonna get a closeup with that vaunted UNC D in week 1 right?

Pudge, not familiar w/ Baldwin, but man that is some freak nasty numbers fwiw.

On another note, nobody has the strength of Noel Devine, okay Stewart :roll: .

Yep...13 weeks and counting...going to be a good one.

Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:37 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Baldwin is a beast. Closest thing we've had to Fitz. Not as good as Fitz, but he's not that far away. But just like Fitz, he's a guy that when you throw it up, he's usually going to catch it.

The 4.37 surprises me though. He looks more like a 4.5 guy on the field.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:41 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

That was a good read, thanks for posting that BB.

Honestly, being a workout warrior doesn't make me want to pick these guys up, because those guys get overdrafted so often that it's just rarely worth it in my opinion. And I seriously doubt Baldwin ran an official 4.37. I agree with Pudge that he looks closer to 4.5 on the field. Maybe a 4.47, but I don't think he will come close to touching 4.3 anything at the combine.

http://tommeltonscouting.wordpress.com/

And check out the NFL Draft site I write for!

http://nfldraftmonsters.com/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:15 pm 

Well you never know. Ray Rice looked like he was a 4.55 guy on tape, then clocked a 4.40 at the Combine, and has lived up to that speed in the pros. Baldwin is deceptively quick, he does make a lot of plays downfield. I've just never seen him pulling away from a DB like you would expect from someone that can run a sub 4.4. The same with Demaryius Thomas last year. He didn't look that fast on film, but ran a sub 4.4 40 before he got hurt (it was filmed, so it's accurate).

Noel Devine benches in the 400s? That sounds ridiculous. But reportedly, while at WVU he did max out at 405, and just googled it and it seems he was benching 350 in high school. Although with RBs, I tend to care more about how much a guy squats. I remember Jamal used to squat something like 660 or something ridiculous like that. So Devine squatting in the 500s is really good.

That'd be great if we picked up Devine next year in the 2nd round.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:17 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Agreed, I really like Devine. The guy is so explosive. He's really versatile too. It also seems like he is more consistent than what Norwood is for us.

http://tommeltonscouting.wordpress.com/

And check out the NFL Draft site I write for!

http://nfldraftmonsters.com/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:24 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Friday, June 25, 2010
Five games could make or break Miles

Here is this week's mailbag. If you'd like to submit questions, send them to me via Twitter: @BFeldmanESPN.

From Denise in New Orleans: I know a lot of people are so happy to say that Les Miles is "on the hot seat," but anybody notice how well the Tigers are doing recruiting this year? Doesn't sound like recruits think he's on the hot seat.

No, it certainly doesn't. The Tigers are in the process of assembling a class loaded with blue-chip talent, which is often the case, but this haul is on track to be even better than the class they just signed. Anthony Johnson, La'El Collins, Jarvis Landry and Kenny Hillard are all ESPN 150 guys set to become Tigers. That's a great start, no question.

This is a pivotal year for Miles because I'm told by a source that this also is the best year of Louisiana recruiting in at least a decade, probably longer. "Normally, the state produces five or six players that are true national recruits that could play anywhere in the country. This year there are probably 14 of those guys," says the source.

There are certainly some rumblings around the state about Miles' future with the Tigers. Considering he just led them to a BCS title three years ago, that's surprising. The guy is 51-15 in five seasons, but with the way former Tigers coach Nick Saban has grabbed hold of the SEC West, people are getting fidgety. I guess losing nine games in two seasons didn't sit well in light of the Crimson Tide's title last year.

The pressure is on LSU right away with a big game against a talented UNC team in Atlanta. They later have games at Florida, Auburn and Arkansas (in addition to hosting Bama Nov. 6). That's five hefty games. If the Tigers lose four of them, that could be too much for Miles. But I think they're going to be better than some of the experts are expecting.

The QBs don't have to be great, but they must be more efficient. But around Jordan Jefferson and Jarrett Lee are lots of solid reasons for optimism. Versatile Russell Shepard is a difference-maker, the receivers are dangerous and I've heard that RB Michael Ford and TE Chase Clement are set for breakout seasons, as are Alex Hurst and Joe Barksdale on the O-line. Tiger strength coach Tommy Moffitt raved Ford's explosiveness and physical maturity, making a comparison to his time working with a young Andre Johnson when he was an assistant at Miami.

Defensively, they should also be good. They have athletes everywhere and a whole new crew of impressive edge rushers should make an impact.

If -- it is a big 'if' -- the Tigers can beat UNC, they should be 5-0 heading to Gainesville and if you're Miles, you're banking that your inconsistent QBs having been battle-tested and their confidence is up for that challenge. That Sept. 4 game with the Tar Heels and their fierce D is going to be fascinating for a lot of reasons.

From John in McKinney, Texas: I'm a Pitt fan, but I still think that the Big 12 staying together was the worst thing that could happen for my team, still stuck with the Union Jack flying clowns in Providence, Rhode Island. Should Pitt, WVU, Cuse and UConn be proactive and try to pitch to the ACC to form the first 16-team Super Conference. I would think these four teams would give the ACC pretty good TV markets that they do not already have.

I'm not sure that added them would enhance the league's reputation. You have a few solid programs, but it certainly wouldn't convince people you're stepping up a few levels. Keep in mind, the ACC has teams with connections to three of the top nine TV markets in Boston, Atlanta and DC.

From Gene in Omaha: The biggest issue facing Nebraska is what -- replacing Ndamukong Suh, QB play, or the linebackers?

Suh was a super player, but with DT Jared Crick still there and DE Pierre Allen, they're going to be salty up front again and that'll carry the front seven. Quarterback is a sizeable question mark. Zac Lee, who missed the spring due to injury after having surgery on his throwing arm, had a 14-10 TD-INT mark. It's hard to be a great team these days with anything close to 1-1 or even 2-1 TD-INT mark -- maybe in the days of the dominating ground games, but not so much any more. Can Lee produce close to the level of what Greg McElroy (61 percent completions and a 17-4 TD-INT mark) did in 2009? I've heard he should be able to do that. Their schedule is pretty favorable since UT has to come to NU and there is no game with Oklahoma in the regular season.

Jared Crick has big shoes to fill without Ndamukong Suh on the other side, but Nebraska's D should be good regardless.
From Russ in Germantown, TN: What do you think the chances are of Memphis and UCF getting into the Big East? Also if they get in, do you think it could compromise the Big East''s BCS status?

Despite speculation that big Memphis booster Fred Smith, the founder of Fed Ex and father of Tiger QB Cannon Smith, would kick in eight-figures annually to a BCS conference, that's just speculation at this point. Memphis has struggled to upgrade facilities. Attendance for the team's home games has been spotty. It wouldn't add much to the SEC from a TV market because you already have Tennessee and Ole Miss, which is just an hour or so away.

The Big East would seem the most viable -- but would the league want to get even bigger in basketball (where the Tigers are strong) so now you'd have a 17-team or 18-team league if you also add UCF?

Around College Football On June 25, 2010

• Nebraska has some interesting history with Big Ten teams, as Brian Christopherson's look at the record book shows:

For instance, did you know Nebraska football is 39-6 against Big Ten teams since Bob Devaney arrived in Lincoln in 1962? Not bad considering NU was 40-62-10 against the conference before Devaney came and cleaned up the mess. Devaney played Big Ten teams 11 times as Nebraska's head coach and won 11 times.

• After a strong performance at a recent Under Armour combine, QB Adam Pittser has generated some buzz, reports Chris Pool:

"The offers are starting to come in but I'm not satisfied." Pittser said. "Everywhere I've camped since the story broke about me on ESPN.com, I've gotten an offer. Ball State, Western Michigan and Central Michigan have all offered. Nebraska told me they were going to offer and then they got a commitment from Bubba Starling the day after I left their camp. I'm running out of time this summer to go to camps. I'd like to play at the highest level, just like anyone else. I'm happy I have MAC offers but I'm competitive and I know I have what it takes to play at a BCS school. I'm going to Wisconsin on Monday and I'm going to Michigan State on July 12. I'm hoping to get a few more camps in before the coaches go on vacation."

• Butch Davis' recruiting machine keeps humming along. ESPNU 150 offensive guard Kiaro Holts from Indianapolis, ranked No. 143 overall in the class of 2011, has committed to sign with the Tar Heels.

Florida, Virginia Tech, Cincinnati, Oregon, Tennessee, Purdue, USC, Penn State, Michigan State, Indiana, California, Ole Miss, Illinois, UCLA, Auburn, Boston College, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Louisville, Wisconsin, Arkansas, N.C. State and Wake Forest among others also offered.

Butch Davis is having a good ol' time on the recruiting trail these days.
"North Carolina must have enjoyed their time in the Hoosier state last year because they have gone back and landed other good offensive line prospect from Indiana," said ESPN's Craig Haubert. "After landing James Hurst in the 2011 class they have now landed Kiaro Holts the No. 8 rated guard in the 2011 class.

"Holts is out of a good program and is a nice out-of-state land for the ACC Tar Heels. He is listed as a guard, but if need be he could play tackle and be successful, but we feel he will fit best as a guard. He has good size and a frame to continue to develop. He is a pretty well-rounded prospect who plays all aspects of the position fairly well. He is a good run blocker who can get into defenders and move them off the line. He does a good job of working up to and blocking on the second level. He is also a good pass blocker though he may need the most work here in his game."

•Florida, which has had some success plucking recruits out of California, nabbed three-star OLB Rahim Cassell from Lakewood, Calif., according to ESPN's Greg Biggins. The nation's No. 25 OLB, Cassell reportedly has scholarship offers from Arizona, Arizona State, California, Duke, Minnesota, Oregon State, Purdue, Washington and Washington State among several others.

• The Gators are also in the mix for four-star linebacker A.J. Johnson from Gainesville, Ga. The No. 7 ILB prospect had originally committed to Tennessee prior to Lane Kiffin's departure, and says the Gators, along with the Vols and Clemson are his top three, VolNation.com reports.

"Clemson, Tennessee, and Florida are recruiting me the hardest," he told the site. "They are also my top three schools in no order. I know for sure I will take officials to those schools. I don't know if I'll take anymore, after that I'll make my commitment. Hopefully before my season ends."

• The Heisman Pundit ranks the fastest men in college football. Not surprisingly, Florida's Jeff Demps is No. 1. He was on my 'Freaks' list earlier this week.

Only one of his top 10 is a defensive player: Conroy Black, CB, Utah.

• Tweet of the Day: From Miami QB Jacory Harris:

@JacoryHarris12: Getting the"U" tatted on me! I'm loving it! Pain is only temporary!

Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:47 am 

I really hope PItt doesn't join the ACC like some are predicting. It just doesn't make any sense for Pitt to really do that, not unless they can't join the Big 10.

Geographically, they are in the Big 10 country. Their biggest in-state rival is already in the Big 10 (Penn State). And from a basketball standpoint (which has largely been lost in all this expansion talk), joining the ACC doesn't elevate their program significantly. Being 3rd fiddle in the ACC behind Duke and UNC IMO doesn't make them better. Big 10 and Big East basketball are already very similar in styles.

As for LSU-UNC, I don't think you have much to worry about BB. If last year was any indicator, UNC is a vastly underachieving team. They had as much defensive talent as any team in the league last year, yet they weren't what I'd call a dominant defense. And their offense was marginal for much of the year because of poor O-line play, inconsistent QB play, and injuries at RB. While they lost very little offensively, I don't expect that to suddenly change this year.

But then again, LSU's QB is Jordan Jefferson, who is terrible or at least was in all the Tiger games I saw last year (all 2 of them).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:29 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
•Butch Davis is having a good ol' time on the recruiting trail these days.

Thats cause he's a cheater, just go lookup black santa and theres your answer.

As great as UNC's D could be, their O has been just as awful. I'd lean towards LSU, esp if you all have an O that can at least put some points on the board (14-17ish), as UNC won't get better on O until they get a real oline and QB. As much as I'd like to root for a fellow ACC team, I hope LSU crushes them. UNC is steadily creeping up my s^%t list.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:31 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

:o :) :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:fingersx:
http://www.statefansnation.com/index.ph ... -football/

- Makes me feel all warm inside!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:30 pm 

Can't have anybody challenging for VT's ACC supremacy. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:01 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Can't have anybody challenging for VT's ACC supremacy.

:mrgreen:

This has been building smoke for a while now, hopefully the NCAA will go ahead and prove theres fire, maybe a whole forest to boot. Smoke has consisted of dirty agent tactics, boosters, bribes, vehicles, women's "recruiting" program (think UT's Orange squad), bribing recruits from black santa, paid travel trips, and so on... Might make Reggie Bush look like a choir boy. When you take into account they've only been I think 9-5 the last two years, how have they been pulling 4/5 star recruits so easily?? Their football fanbase is awful, wine and cheese crowd that doesn't even yell at the games, so they annual go to something equivalent to the tire bowl b/c they don't travel either. Simply hasn't been adding up for a while now.

Quote:
So when Joe Schad tells the world that there is a serious NCAA investigation taking place at UNC, sports agents who may be affected should begin to contact their attorneys. Schad notes that Defensive tackle Marvin Austin was a football player who was interviewed. I have a source who tells me that Austin was only 1 of 13 players who have been interviewed - this is far reaching. And it does not only extend to a number of players. The same source tells me that there are a lot of agents that may have dirty hands, including both NFLPA Certified Advisors and marketing agents. Some are being examined more than others.

It is apparently beyond just in-person meetings, rent payments, and travel expenses. We are potentially talking about all expenses paid trips to South Beach, exorbitant amounts of money dropped on accessories, and perhaps even a Bentley or two.

~~~~~~~~~~~
FEB ’10: Black Santa accused by recruit of illegal payments in Chapel Hill

http://www.statefansnation.com/index.ph ... apel-hill/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yesterday ESPN.com’s Joe Schad broke a story that the NCAA is investigating the University of North Carolina football program regarding possible rules violations surrounding gifts/benefits received by players from sports agents.

UNC’s football program has miraculously gone from the laughingstock of the ACC to a respectable team in a small number of years.

http://www.sportsagentblog.com/2010/07/ ... Agent+News)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... y-serious/

NCAA probe into UNC football program 'sounding very serious'
Posted by John Taylor on July 16, 2010 1:12 PM ET

With the start of North Carolina's 2010 regular season a mere 50 days away, head coach Butch Davis and athletic director Dick Baddour may have a bigger concern than the Tar Heels' offense once again dragging down a stellar defense.

As you have no doubt heard by now, the NCAA has launched an investigation into UNC's football program. Specifically, the organization is looking into football players' relationships with agents and whether any illicit benefits changed hands.

A tweet from SI.com's Stewart Mandel sounds ominous enough in and of itself -- The UNC/agent situation sounding very serious. I'm told NCAA has spent months compiling evidence. -- but, when coupled with a "report" from a certified agent, it portends a very USC-like situation going on in Chapel Hill. Only on a much larger scale.

Agent Darren Haitner has posted an intriguing -- or, if you're a Tar Heels fan, chilling -- piece on the SportsAgentBlog website and, citing unnamed sources, has made some damning claims as to the scope of those alleged to be involved in wrongdoing and the extent of illegal benefits that may have been received by current UNC players.

So when Joe Schad tells the world that there is a serious NCAA investigation taking place at UNC, sports agents who may be affected should begin to contact their attorneys. Schad notes that Defensive tackle Marvin Austin was a football player who was interviewed. I have a source who tells me that Austin was only 1 of 13 players who have been interviewed - this is far reaching. And it does not only extend to a number of players. The same source tells me that there are a lot of agents that may have dirty hands, including both NFLPA Certified Advisors and marketing agents. Some are being examined more than others.

It is apparently beyond just in-person meetings, rent payments, and travel expenses. We are potentially talking about all expenses paid trips to South Beach, exorbitant amounts of money dropped on accessories, and perhaps even a Bentley or two.

Obviously, the investigation is in its infancy, and literally nothing has been proven thus far.

However, if even some of the allegations are remotely close to being the truth, the sheer scope of what's being alleged would put the USC/Reggie Bush scandal to shame.

And, given the near-historic sanctions levied on the Trojans' football program, that's not the type of characterization anyone associated with the heretofore squeaky-clean UNC athletic department wants to hear.

(Tip O' the Hat: SI.com's Andy Staples)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:10 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

- LOL, pardon me, two 8 win seasons....and a 20-18 overall record to boot!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5384232

RALEIGH, N.C. -- North Carolina athletic director Dick Baddour said Thursday the NCAA is investigating a sports program at the school regarding possible rules violations.

A source at North Carolina told ESPN.com's Joe Schad on Thursday that UNC football players were interviewed by the NCAA this week and asked questions about agents and whether anyone had received gifts or extra benefits.

Defensive tackle Marvin Austin, one of several Tar Heels who passed on the NFL draft this spring, was among the players interviewed, according to the source.

The source said the NCAA's questions to players were intended to "make sure no Reggie Bush stuff is going on."

Baddour declined to tell The Associated Press which sport was being probed.

"I was told that I could limit my comments to the fact that they had been here and they wanted me to say that we had indeed been cooperative," said Baddour, adding that the inquiry "has our full attention."

The investigation began with a phone call from the NCAA, Baddour said, though he declined to say when the call came or when investigators had visited the Chapel Hill campus.

"We work hard on our compliance program, a program of integrity," Baddour said. "We're proud of it. We are also proud that, or we think very strongly that, we get an inquiry from the NCAA that we would comply, we would do what they asked us to do and we would do it forthright and completely."

A second source said that the NCAA asked all of UNC's projected NFL draft picks to provide phone records so investigators could see which agents they had spoken with.

The players were also asked who paid for the travel, who paid their rent and which agents they had met with and when, according to the second source.

Austin recently tweeted about a trip to Miami.

Both sources used the word "hectic" to describe the agent activity surrounding North Carolina football since multiple players passed on the NFL draft.

A third source, with ties to North Carolina, said that Austin was asked about having been seen driving Kentwan Balmer's vehicle.

Balmer is a former North Carolina defensive end who plays for the 49ers and worked out in Chapel Hill this offseason. Another source said Austin stayed at Balmer's apartment at times this offseason as well.

Davis is preparing for his fourth season in Chapel Hill and has guided the program to consecutive eight-win seasons, including the program's first back-to-back bowl seasons since the late 1990s, when Mack Brown left for Texas.

Davis has a 20-18 record with the Tar Heels, including 11-13 in the Atlantic Coast Conference. When Davis inherited the program from John Bunting, the Tar Heels had gone to just two bowl games in six seasons, during which they were a woeful 27-45.

The Tar Heels are expected to contend for the ACC's Coastal Division title with a defense that returns nine starters from a unit that ranked among the nation's best last year. North Carolina opens the season against LSU in Atlanta on Sept. 4.

ESPN.com's Joe Schad and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:15 am 

Well, UNC does get some slack for being a b-ball school as far as the fan base goes.

And while Davis maybe (or is probably) cheating, if you start to look at it, a lot of his success has been because he's recruiting NC very well. Just look at this list of players that were homegrown talents from 2003-06 that went out of state to school or went to N.C. State. All of these players were deemed 4 or 5 star players by Rivals:

QB Jonathan Crompton (Tennessee)
QB Chris Leak (Florida)
RB Andre Brown (N.C. State)
RB Montario Hardesty (Tennessee)
WR Mohamed Massaquoi (Georgia)
OG Carl Johnson (Florida)
DE Everette Brown (Florida State)
DE Mario Williams (N.C. State)
DT DeMario Pressley (N.C. State)
LB Brandon Spikes (Florida)
LB Derek Nicholson (Florida)
LB Dannell Ellerbe (Georgia)
CB Crezdon Butler (Clemson)

Basically the only 4-star prospects they nailed in that span of time was Hakeem Nicks and Shaun Draughn. If UNC had gotten half those prospects they would have been a powerhouse.

Also you have to remember that it wasn't that long ago that Butch Davis had a national title (2000). I'm sure that helps him with his recruiting. Not to mention his stint in the pros is always appealing to HS guys that want to play there down the road.

Not saying he isn't cheating. Just saying it wouldn't be impossible for Davis to snag the quality recruits if he was running a clean program.

Profile E-mail