Post subject: Preseason Scouting Report: OLB Von Miller, Texas A&M
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:07 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

VON MILLER
6-2/240, Senior
Texas A&M

PROS:

Has a good first step as an edge rusher off the corner, able to beat the tackle to the corner and close on the quarterback. Quickness off the corner allows him to set up tackle for a quick, inside move. Has good straight-burst and speed as a blitzer, and does his best work when he's allowed to attack upfield. Will play with a good motor at times, finishing plays. Shows nice ability to make tackles in the backfield, breaking down well and delivering blow to ballcarrier at the point of attack. Shows ability to hold the point of attack and is able to string out running plays to the outside.

CONS:

Has a tendency to overly rely on his edge speed. Doesn't quite know how to deep the shoulder to turner the corner. Struggled against a tackle the caliber of Okung because he wasn't able to "out-quick" him. Tends to run around blocks, and needs to show better ability to use his hands to disengage from blocker. Instead, will studder-step to make his inside move rather than using any hand technique. Flashes ability to deliver blow to blocker with bull rush potential, but hasn't quite developed it. Rarely drops back into coverage. Undersized and has trouble getting off blocks at the point of attack.

OVERALL:

Miller has the potential to dominate lesser tackles as an edge rusher, and has the quickness to give even top tackles fits off the corner. But he still needs to polish up his technique as a pass rusher, and needs to get stronger. He plays the "JACK" position in Texas A&M's defense, which is akin to what DeMarcus Ware does in Dallas, which is basically rush the QB most downs, and when he's not doing that he's playing the run. But isn't asked to play much in coverage.

WHAT I WANT TO SEE IN 2010:

I want to see him develop more moves, particularly in developing better hand technique and use when using his inside move. I want to see him improve his bull rush off the corner, getting better hand placement. With his speed and burst off the edge, he could be a devastating bull rusher like a James Harrison if he can improve there. Had 17 sacks as a junior, so I don't need to see such high production. He was shut out in only 3 games last year (OK State, Baylor, Georgia), so want to see him continue to produce at that level. I also want to see him work more in coverage, but not sure I should expect that given the position he plays.

2011 PROJECTION:

Miller's stock right now appears to be a late first round pick, and with another productive year, he should be able to maintain that. He'll be targeted mainly for 3-4 teams predominantly. With more polish to his game he could be a mid-first round pick (Top 15-20 pick). But because he doesn't have ideal size and with a slip in production, it's conceivable he could fall into the 3rd round because teams realize how one-dimensional he is. If I was a betting man, I'd probably split the difference and think he'll wind up going off the board in the second round at some point.

Profile E-mail