All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Preseason Scouting Report: QB Andrew Luck, Stanford
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:52 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

QB Andrew Luck
6-4/235, Redshirt Sophomore
Stanford

Pros: Has a good, strong arm that shows good zip on all of his throws. Capable of making all of the throws. Has the level of arm strength that he can make most throws even if he doesn't set his feet. Shows ability to go to his second read. Has nice touch and accuracy, able to throw the long ball and put the ball where only his receiver can run under it. Has some mobility in the pocket and has the ability to pick up some yardage when the pass breaks downs.

Cons: Needs to improve his mechanics, particularly his footwork. Doesn't always set his feet as there were too many times he threw off his back foot. Needs to improve his footwork when moving around in the pocket, and has some ability to get happy feet. Hasn't quite mastered the art of sliding around to avoid pressure. Also has a tendency to stare down his receivers more often than not.

Overall: Luck definitely has NFL talent. The size, arm strength, and showing fairly good intelligence seems to be all the tools needed to be a top NFL prospect. The thing that we'll have to see is if he can put everything together and really show a mastery of an offense that will merit him being a very high pick in the 2011 draft. Right now, he does look like he's a bit more advanced than most first year starters, but not sure he shows quite the level of polish a and experience I'd want to see to make him a first round pick.

What I want to see in 2010: I want to see him polish up his mechanics and footwork a bit more. I want to see more consistency there. I want to see him do a better job of avoiding the pass rush and seeing how he responds. I want to see him staring down his receivers less often, and instances where he's looking off the safety. I want to see a bit more anticipation with his reads and throws. I'm interested to see how much more passing he is allowed to do this year than last year. When he had 25 or more attempts last season, Stanford was 1-4. When he threw the ball less they were 7-0. Clearly their offense ran through Toby Gerhart, and I want to see more of the offense run through Luck this year.

2011 Projection: I would be very surprised if Luck forgoes his last two seasons at Stanford. I can't predict the future, but I imagine the only thing that could really occur that will make him go pro is probably the departure of Jim Harbaugh from Stanford. Now that's a possibility, with teams like Michigan and NFL potentially calling at the end of the year. But I might begin to question his maturity if he were to leave Stanford so early. There's just something more unsettling about a sophomore with two years experience leaving to go pro (e.g. Michael Vick) as opposed to a junior with two years experience (e.g. Mark Sanchez). If he was to go pro, then I would expect Luck to be a 1st or 2nd round pick.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Preseason Scouting Report: QB Andrew Luck, Stanford
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:37 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

This is a good report Pudge, I agree with most of what you said here. He tends to lock onto his first read, and as he learns to go through his reads and progressions better (he has stated that this is his number one area he needs to improve on) and as he improves his footwork he could become a special QB. I like his toughness and his ability to deliver a throw even if it means he will get hit.

Shall we turn this into a scouting report thread? Or keep it clean for just Andrew Luck? I could post my Locker and Ponder preseason scouting reports here if you want.

http://tommeltonscouting.wordpress.com/

And check out the NFL Draft site I write for!

http://nfldraftmonsters.com/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Preseason Scouting Report: QB Andrew Luck, Stanford
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:45 pm 

Ehh, do whatever you want.

Profile E-mail