Big Win

All things related to the Atlanta Falcons, NFL and pro football related.
Pudge
Site Admin

Big Win

Postby Pudge » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:31 pm

This week 16 win ove Carolina is arguably the biggest win since the 2012 Seahawks. Hell, you could make the case it's the biggest win since the NFC CHampionship Game in 1998 when you consider the odds the Falcons managed to overcome. Maybe the win in Lambeau eclipses it because that was also a playoff game.

But when you look it up, you don't have many instances where the Falcons were a touchdown underdog and managed to beat a playoff team over the past 20 years. So this one is certainly in the Top 5.

http://pfref.com/tiny/o2Gc4

AngryJohnny51

Re: Big Win

Postby AngryJohnny51 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:49 pm

Pudge wrote:This week 16 win ove Carolina is arguably the biggest win since the 2012 Seahawks. Hell, you could make the case it's the biggest win since the NFC CHampionship Game in 1998 when you consider the odds the Falcons managed to overcome. Maybe the win in Lambeau eclipses it because that was also a playoff game.

But when you look it up, you don't have many instances where the Falcons were a touchdown underdog and managed to beat a playoff team over the past 20 years. So this one is certainly in the Top 5.

http://pfref.com/tiny/o2Gc4

A big win for sure. I give Quinn credit for having the team ready to play. Did it do enough to save Shanahan's job? Unfortunately, probably, yes. Did it save Dimitroff's job? I am guessing no.

I'm not looking forward to a rebuild, but I guess it's inevitable. We need to start looking and grooming Matt Ryan's successor as well.

Davewaz

Postby Davewaz » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:17 pm

Well it will probably ending up costing us 3-5 spots in the draft order, with that said I'll take it just to see them not make history.

Pudge
Site Admin

Postby Pudge » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:06 pm

DaveWaz wrote:We need to start looking and grooming Matt Ryan's successor as well.

Ryan is signed through 2018. If you draft a rookie now, then you can sit him for at least three years before you're put in a position to shit or get off the pot. Ryan is fairly safe through 2017 at the least. While he's had a dip in play, he'd have to massively worse than he's been this year for the Falcons to start really looking at other options (see Nick Foles, Colin Kaepernick, Matt Schaub in 2013, etc.).

The problem is that unless a stud falls into your lap in the 3rd or 4th round (see Russell Wilson), this is not a good year to draft his future replacement because the Falcons lack a 5th and 6th round pick. Drafting a QB is a bit of a luxury given all the needs this team has on both sides of the ball, and using a valuable mid-round pick on a developmental QB is just a luxury this team proabbly can't afford. And we know using a 7th round pick on a QB is a massive roll of the dice. Sean Renfree can attest to that. But there have only been 3 QBs drafted in the past 20 years that have managed to start 16 or more games: Tim Rattay (2000, 18 starts), Matt Cassel (2005, 79 starts) and Ryan Fitzpatrick (2005, 104 starts).

Better luck next year.

Davewaz

Postby Davewaz » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:13 pm

Just to note, somehow it stated in your response Pudge that the quote about Matt Ryan was from me, when in fact it was not. I think Matt has a good 3-4 years left in him, thus I'm in no rush to start that search.

Return to “The Huddle”