It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Groh finds a home in Atlanta
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:40 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Gro ... lanta.html

I think we'll see more teams going to a 3-4 or at least a hybrid set in the coming years. Particularly in the south where you have the athleticism and size to really run a successful scheme on the college level. Texas and USC have used the hybrid well the past few years. Alabama is tearing it up with their 3-4. Ohio State now has a hybrid scheme as well, mirroring what Michigan has done in recent years as well.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Groh finds a home in Atlanta
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:07 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Al Groh didn’t have a great 2009.

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: You could have substituted "decade" for 09 and not skipped a beat. Let me tell you though, this is an intresting marriage. Paul Johnson and Groh on the same staff, thats a WHOLE LOTTA ego for one squad. Maybe Groh's been humbled some by being the most overpaid worthless coach of the last decade. I highly doubt it though. And PJ has always been an a$%hole, plain and simple.

What people are forgetting is Groh ran the 34 the ENTIRE time he was at UVA, and you see how that worked out. :clap:

Here's just a snippet of the stupidity that is Groh, a philosopher football coach at heart, a dumbass wannabe in reality.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt ... 5547.story

CHARLOTTESVILLE — Al Groh met the media after Virginia's 42-13 loss to Virginia Tech on Saturday.

He began by reciting the poem "The Guy in the Glass" by Dale Wimbrow:

"When you get what you want in your struggle for self "And the world makes you king for a day, "Then go to a mirror and look at yourself "And see what that guy has to say. "For it isn't your father or mother or wife "Whose judgment upon you must pass, "The fellow whose verdict counts most in your life" "Is the guy staring back from the glass.

"He's the fellow to please, never mind all the rest "For he's with you clear to the end "And you've passed your most dangerous, difficult test "If the guy in the glass is your friend.

"You may be like Jack Horner and chisel a plum, "And think you¹re a wonderful guy, "But the man in the glass says you¹re only a bum, "If you can¹t look him straight in the eye.

Text DPSPORTS to 71593 for sports alerts. Text BIGSPORTS for breaking sports news. Click here for other text alerts.

"You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years "And get pats on the back as you pass "But your final reward will be heartache and tears "If you've cheated the man in the glass."

Groh then continued with his own words: "When I visited the guy in the glass, I saw that he¹s a guy of commitment, of integrity, of dependability and accountability. He¹s loyal. His spirit is indomitable. And he is caring and loving. I¹m sure I will always call the guy in the glass a friend."

He then exited. End of press conference.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:13 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

You can guarantee he won't be saying this again now that hes simply a 34 coordinator. Certainly sounds different from what he said above, and surely what he's telling recruits.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/ ... ad-offense

Quote:
Do you think there's any benefit to preparing the guys for the NFL to run one particular offensive scheme or another?

AG: Not really. I think that if the players are well-trained fundamentally, those are the things that carry over from league to league. The fundamental skills of how to execute their job, how to defeat the player across from them. It's highly unlikely that most players are going to go - with only 32 teams in the NFL - it's highly unlikely they're going to go to a system that's exactly like the one they came from. They're going to have to make some adjustments system-wise. The big thing is they have the fundamental background that can translate to any system. If you can block guys in one system, you can block them in another. If you can beat blocks in the 3-4, you can beat blocks in the 4-3. If you get blocked in the 3-4, you're going to get blocked in the 4-3.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:41 pm 

Well at least he can say he's put better OL, DL, and LB talent in the NFL during the past 9 years than Tech has. :shock: Might have something to do with the 3-4. :idea:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:34 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Well at least he can say he's put better OL, DL, and LB talent in the NFL during the past 9 years than Tech has. Might have something to do with the 3-4.

:lol: As opposed to what, winning actual games?? Maybe it has something to do with the man in the mirror... :rofl:

I'll agree that their LB's and DE's have had a boost b/c its easier to project them to 34 nfl teams, but thats about where it ends. He left the cupboard so bare there its insane...just go ask any UVA fan how much they like him. Used car salesman if there ever was one.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:43 pm 

I wasn't claiming that Groh was a good head coach. Just saying that maybe he does a decent job prepping kids for the next level. Although I'm not sure I'd probably give that credit to Groh, it probably simply has more to do with the type of players that UVA recruits on a second look.

If you look at UVA vs. VT players in the pros. ANd you can't help but notice that RB, WR, and DBs that are ex-Hokies tend to do very well in the pros, while TEs, OL, DL, and LB that are ex-Wahoos tend to do well in the pros.

Probably NOT a coincidence that RB, DB, and WR are the positions that on average score lowest on the Wonderlic.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:20 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
ANd you can't help but notice that RB, WR, and DBs that are ex-Hokies tend to do very well in the pros, while TEs, OL, DL, and LB that are ex-Wahoos tend to do well in the pros.

Pretty accurate position wise I'd say, they just have never had any cohesion to anything team wise. I think most of their olineman have come from out of state, and they did have a good run of T's too. Otherwise, I still see the main advantage to their defensive success w/ DL/LB as the scheme.

Tech actually has the opposite problem w/ this on D. We prefer the hybrid/tweeners for DE like a Worilds, who has to shift to OLB in the NFL. Same thing for a rising senior like John Graves at DT, talented as hell, killed UT in the bowl once healthy, but weighs 285. At DT we want the disruptors and penetrators. Foster wants as much disruption through penetration as possible, and prefers smaller/quicker lineman. That just doesn't help translate to the NFL in many cases, minus a freak like Worilds. Same deal at LB, where we run something a lil differnt scheme wise, again, how fast can they run to the football. Foster will scheme you in the right position so you're not fighting blocks all day. Somebody like Adibi was a good example of this, great in VT's scheme, but too small for NFL (even though I guess he's still on Houston). On the other hand, you also have a guy like Cody Grimm actually blow up enough to get drafted, despite total non-nfl measurables. So its not that the guys aren't as talented or highly recruited, they just aren't NFL measurable, but they fit the scheme perfectly. Also why vt's fields an annual team better than they recruit, b/c we know what types we are looking for. Its just that the scheme is very, very unique, but hey, if it ain't broke.

At DB we do not have this situation for transition to the NFL. In fact we throw 'em into the fire enough w/ putting them on an island that they're usually battle tested. Rock Carmichael and Jayron Hosley (BFlowers cousin) are next in line.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:55 pm 

Pretty good breakdown. You're right, VT's players are best fit in the Tampa 2 scheme as far as NFL schemes go, and that scheme is practially dead now in the pros. While UVA is one of the few teams over the years to run a true 3-4 scheme in college, which is a scheme that has been on the rise in the pros.

Profile E-mail