It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dirty's Mock Draft (Pre-Combine)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:22 pm 

To setup the draft I'm going to say that Cutler is drafted by some over zealous team before Miami can get to him. So I'm assuming Miami deals their 2nd round pick to Atlanta for Matt Schuab. I'm also going to jump on the Duckett trade to Pittsburgh bandwagon and call for a Pitt's 4th round pick. Trades that I think will occour during the draft will be listed in my Mock.

1st Round, 15th Selection: TRADE, Atlanta trades the 15th overall pick to Chicago for the 26th and the 90th (26th in the 3rd Round) selections. With the 26th pick Atlanta selects Ashton Youboty, CB, Ohio State. I do think that Youboty is the 2nd best cover corner in the draft. Considering we play prevent and soft zones so much we need a good cover corner. Also, let's be honest, Youboty could be one of the coolest names I have ever seen. He'd fit perfectly with the Bucs. :)

2nd Round, 47th Selection: Ray Edwards, DE, Purdue. This could be a reach here but right now it seems Edwards is a borderline 1st round possibility (his combine will determine that one). But Edwards is a big DE that can handle the run despite a need to bulk a bit. He fits the bill in regards to replacing Brady Smtih.

2nd Round, 51st Selection: Daryn Colledge. OT. Boise State. I am pretty high on this guy and he has worked with our new offensive line coach. A good mock may push Colledge into the 1st round. If he's there we should draft him. At 6'5" 298lbs he fits Gibbs system with great energy and power.

3rd Round, 79th Selection: Greg Blue, S, Georgia. He isn't much for coverage and I know lots of people would disagree with this. But, Blue has the blow-you-up that this defense needs and he's a Georgia product uping the selection. Where he would be playing in Atlanta his first duty is to the run anyways.

3rd Round, 90th Selection: Anwar Phillips, CB, Penn State. Underrated right now in my books although he has some baggage that the Falcons may not like. But he has good size and speed and his only real problem is focus. He does have a boom/bust tag and like some of my picks may go as high as the 2nd or may fall to the 4th.

4th Round, 111th Selection: Jerome Harrison, RB, Washington State. In my opinion he is a Warrick Dunn clone and could probably use a year or two learning from Dunn before getting consideration for starters minutes. He needs to bulk up a bit and he is small but so is Warrick Dunn. He could be a future starter when Dunn decides to call it a career.

5th Round, 143rd Selection: D.J. Shockley, QB, Georgia. I still like the idea of bringing Shockley into Atlanta to backup Vick. He is raw but has the same game as one Michael Vick. His stock seems to be dropping as of late as well. I still think Atlanta signs a vet and Shockley may start as the #3 QB.

6th Round, 175th Selection: Troy Bienemann, TE, Washington State. A double dip from WSU in this mock! After average performance from anyone not name Crumpler that plays TE I like Bienemann. He is a swiss-army knife TE that does everything well but nothing great. Provide an excellent option in the red zone while Crumpler would see double coverage and could double as a long snapper.

7th Round, 207th Selection: Scott Ware, S, USC. Standout as a JUCO player was mainly a backup for USC but got time this past season. Could be a diamond in the rough at safety although he is hitter similar to Blue (Another option here is Oregon RB Terrence Whitehead if a runningback isn't selected earlier).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:27 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

It seems you put a lot of thought into that mock, Dirty. I like it except for the fact I don't see us passing up on J. Williams if he is available in round 1. If not, then your mock could be right on the money.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:59 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

If we give up Schaub & Duckett for those low picks I would call for McKay's head. I do love the Edwards & Colledge picks though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:10 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I've been pretty vocal about my dislike for Ray Edwards. He just seems a lot like Michael Haynes to me. Tons of athleticism and upside, but little desire and history of improvement.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Quality draft!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:23 am 

A few thoughts on your draft Dirtybirdnw!

1. Youboty - At no15 I would not take him.I would be interested on who was on the board during the time we picked. If Jimmy Williams or Hali were available I would have to select either one.I think there is enough depth at corner to get one later.Def end isn't very deep and we need someone opposite kerney provided he is quality.I like Williams better at corner but he can also play safety.If Huff were there to take it would be a no brainer to take him.
2.Ray Edwards - of course if edwards can be a quality def end I see why you took Youboty in the first.Edwards I guess I worry a little about since he didn't play the whole season and I wonder what the problem with him is?
2..Colledge - I agree with,a good player
3.Greg Blue - I can understand the pick an enforcer that would go higher if he could cover a little.
3.Phillips - Is Phillips really this good? Do we need another corner if youboty were picked in the 1st? If there was a center on the board or off linemen I would select him here.
4.Harrison - don't know alot about him but we need someone to groom for dunn
5.Shockley - I don't like Shockley as far as QB.Way to inaccurate for me and one QB who isn't accurate is enough(Vick) . would take olsen instead of shockley!
6.Bienemann - OK will accept another tight end!
7.Scott Ware - great pick I think he could be a steal here.Sometimes players go unnoticed and Ware is part of 2 national championships and knows the game.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:29 pm 

Scout: Note that I had a trade with Chicago in my Mock. Atlanta traded the 15th overall for the 26th (where I selected Youboty) and the 90th (3rd Round selection). So I opted for Youboty at the end of the 1st.

I can definitely see the argument against Blue but I think Atlanta needs some attitude. It is possible that Bullocks falls down there and we could select him instead of Blue. Phillips was a bit of a struggle pick for me. I think Atlanta is need of three quality defensive backs and Phillips seemed to fit the bill for a dime/nickel back. He was picked on a lot with Penn State but never really got burned. He stood up tall against some good passing games.

I think Atlanta picks up Shockely because A) he is mobile quarterback and B) he is from Georgia. The team knows well how much Georgia loves it's college football teams and this is a PR thing. Of course if the situation goes south then the Falcons get a black eye.

Post subject: OK didn't see that!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:04 am 

Thanks for reminding me about the trade,didn't see that you traded down. If Youtoby is the best player available at the spot we draft take him.

Profile E-mail