It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Walter Football Grades Falcon's Draft picks
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:46 pm 

Now that the draft is over I like to look at which sites think the Falcon's did a good,average and bad job. We start with Walter Football and its a mixed bag.

2010 NFL Draft Grades:

19. Sean Weatherspoon, OLB, Missouri
Sean Weatherspoon is a talented, blue-collar, high-character guy who had Falcons written all over him. He fills a big position of need. (Pick Grade: A)

83. Corey Peters, DT, Kentucky
I guess Peria Jerry's ACL recovery isn't going along very well? If so, this pick makes a lot of sense. If not, you have to wonder how the Falcons will get to the quarterback. (Pick Grade: C)

98. Mike Johnson, G, Alabama
Not the pick I would have made (hello, defensive end?) but I like Mike Johnson as a Round 3-4 prospect. He could challenge Justin Blalock at left guard; Blalock didn't play particularly well last year. (Pick Grade: B)

117. Joe Hawley, C, UNLV
Joe Hawley? Over Matt Tennant and Eric Olsen? This fills a need at center, but Hawley, a late-round prospect, is a reach. (Pick Grade: C)

135. Dominique Franks, CB, Oklahoma
Dominique Franks is a Round 2-3 prospect. You can never have enough quality corners when you're trying to beat Drew Brees. I really like this pick. (Pick Grade: A)

165. Kerry Meier, WR, Kansas
A big, raw receiver, the Falcons will hope Kerry Meier challenges for the No. 2 receiver position across from Roddy White. I'm not so optimistic. (Pick Grade: C)

171. Shann Schillinger, S, Montana
Someone to push disappointing rookie William Moore. Not a big fan of this selection; still no defensive ends. (Pick Grade: C)

Key Undrafted Free Agents:

Colin Peek, TE, Alabama

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Walter Football Grades Falcon's Draft picks
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:03 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

I agree with most of this. Although i would grade the safety higher (B), and Franks lower (B).

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:02 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Biggest problem with this draft grade... He is assuming that we NEED a defensive end. We drafted DE in each of the previous drafts. One of them didn't get to see much of the field because Abraham, Davis, and Biermann were in the way. Pretty silly to grade picks based on what YOU think that the team NEEDS to get from the draft.

Seriously, how likely is it that a 3rd-7th rounder would have been able to push ahead of Biermann or Sidbury? There were probably only 2 or 3 players in the draft who would have been able to lock up a starting job at DE for our team this year.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:10 am 
Superstar
Superstar

To go a bit further... Weatherspoon will be a starter this year. Mike Johnson and Joe Hawley will likely be starters in the years to come. Meier will be a good special teamer, and will push Jenkins. Plus he can play QB and punt in a pinch. haha I don't know about Franks, Peters, and Schillinger. Peters will likely be a depth player. Franks might find a place on special teams, as might Schillinger. However, it would seem that Franks might be able to work his way into the nickel. He seems to have good instincts.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:48 am 

I have to agree on one respect Robert with you.While most think the pass rush could use a def end by having penetrating def tackles it frees the def ends up to make plays.When Jerry or Babs gets double teamed that opens it up for the def ends.If the pass rush still needs help you can always use Spoon as a blitzing linebacker.

Generally if you can get 2 starters from a draft the rest is gravy.Spoon and Johnson should be core players and if only one of Meier,Franks,Hawley or the safety pans out and can start in a few years its a very good draft.While there were higher rated players TD drafted blue collar players that don't get alot of publicity on the 2nd day.If they can add depth thats all we can ask for now. I have to wonder about Walterfootball not realizing the different variables I mentioned.You can tell he doesn't follow the team like we do.

Profile E-mail