It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jimbo vs. Tye
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:17 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

After reading a bit more on both Hill and Williams over the weekend, I've sort of grown less weary of Williams and not so praising of Hill.

We'll see what goes down in the Combine and on their pro days, but at this point I would put both players at about even.

Williams' upside is intriguing, but again my biggest issue is does he have the desire to improve? Also is he a safety or a cornerback? When you look at recent draft history, these big corners that NFL teams seemingly fall in love with, very few have managed to contribute as quality starting corners.

With Hill, I don't think his upside is as high as Williams, but he seems to be a bit safer in terms of developing into a quality NFL starter. Is he going to be a superstar? Probably not, but he could be more than capable #2 guy to DeAngelo Hall.

After considering the evidence more, Williams seems more and more like a tweener. And if you look at recent draft history, almost all tweeners struggle at CB in the NFL, but managed to excel at safety.

So, as a result, my mindset is if the Falcons want Williams, they should look at him as a safety, while Hill IMO would be the better option as a cornerback.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:51 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I'm with you on this one. Now that a few of the mock draft sites have updated since the SB is over, they have us taking J'Will and converting him back to safety which is his natural position. Huff will not get to #15 barring a miracle so I'd say this is our best choice. Unless we can work a trade with Schaub and our first rounder for a first and second rounder of a team in the top 10. Doubtful, but it's a thought. Here are the links to the mock drafts I mentioned:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

http://www.draftshowcase.com/swmock06.htm

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:34 pm 
I'd rather have Williams than Huff anyway...sure he's got a "bad attitude" according to some but he's big, fast, and mean...something we havent seen in our secondary.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:00 am 
Veteran
Veteran

I've kinda narrowed down my list to the following three:

No particular order....
- Kiwi
- Hali
- J. Williams

No, I don't think Huff will be available and I would prefer a more physical presense anyway.

Note - Subject to change. I once did not care for Hali when I read his bio (which it seems had a lot of incorrect info).

Post subject: Good question!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:07 am 
This is a good debate Jimmy Williams vs Tye Hill who would you take.Seeing Tye Hill's value increase,his closing speed and Williams not showing up I think both are around the same level as far as prospect if Williams moves back to safety.Williams needs to work out well to get his stock back up if he is to play corner.

Here is another question is Williams at safety as good as ko simpson at safety?I think Ko probably goes 20-25 in the draft and if williams isn't head and shoulders aboue ko then I may trade down and pick up some extra picks. The tweener syndrome does worry me maybe it is because of Bryan Scott when he was drafted to cover bigger receviers but fialed to that .

I hope the Falcon's watch as much film as they can on Williams,Hill and even ko simpson.We can't afford to blow this pick.I don't think Huff last till 15th so we may have to select from hali,williams,hill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:47 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I would take Jimmy Williams. He would help us to stop the run a lot more than Hill will and that is something we have to work on.