It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Falcons Draft Needs and Drafting Philosophy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:07 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

There are a lot of draft web sites out there. Many are just rotten information. I figure you fans would know better than fake "draft gurus" about what the Falcons needs are.

1) What do you think the Falcons needs are?

a) high priorities

b) important depth

c) nice to have

I keep hearing CB but I thought the Falcons had injury problems there. Perhaps that is only a need for more depth. I pick up that there may be a need for a good pass rushing DE (every team wants those guys) and perhaps an LB or TE. A nice to have player for depth might be an RB or back up QB. I would like to know what you think the team can use to improve. Remember there I'm not talking starters but places where some improvements in the reserves would help.

2) Drafting

Looking at the current Big Boards, I don't see really any sure fire prospect that the Falcons would draft. The players and the need positions do not line up well for the first couple of rounds.

a) The Falcons have a fairly solid team and can afford to take the Best Player available. Nobody knows who that will be until the Falcons are on the clock.
How likely is this scenario?

b) Is there a player that the Falcons so need that they may move up in the 1st or 2nd round to get. Even if they are unlikely to do so who do you think are the most likely players they would be willing to to move up to get?

c) Is there a position strong enough in the draft where in the 1st or 2nd round that you think the Falcons would see 2 or 3 good players on the board and want to trade down to get one and pick up and extra draft pick in doing so? Even if you think the Falcons won't, who would be the most likely candidates?

I think the Falcons can be very flexible in this year's draft and do a number of things. That is why I'm asking.

For my team the draft is rather simple. The Packers need a quality OT and CB. They might trade up in the first round if there is a run on OT's (one Packers/Falcons trade possibility). The Packers may trade down for a CB in the 2nd if they have 2 or more equally ranked players. They need to add depth at Safety and DE. Adding a kick returner, RB, and Punter would be nice additions.

Post subject: Re: Falcons Draft Needs and Drafting Philosophy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:52 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Pudge will have to wreck this...I don't have time. Just about everything that was written is wrong.
Besides ..I'm a "fake draft guru".

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:16 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Primary defensive needs are DE, OLB, penetrating DT.

Primary offensive needs are OL (who can press for time year 1, but be ready year 2), WR (can be a 4 year 1), TE (ready to take over in a year)

Would likely only move up in the draft for a talented DE (Morgan) or OT

Greatest likelihood is Falcons will stay at their pick and take a DE (though some of us would prefer OT).

If you pegged the first 3 picks as DE, OLB, OL, you'd probably have an 80% chance of being correct as Falcons tend to draft for needs.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:05 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Thanks take it down.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:18 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Yeah, the Falcons almost certainly will take a DE or OLB with their #1 pick, either Morgan, Graham, or Weatherspoon.

For the most part, the rest of the roster just needs depth. I think that WR, OT, OG, and DT are the areas of the depth most likely to be addressed with at least one pick

RB, TE, OC, CB, and S are other areas that could be addressed in the draft, but I don't think the team views them as critical needs and will only look for the right player at any of those spots.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:39 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Thanks Pudge.