3. CB Amari Spievey
4a. TE Dennis Pitta
4b. WR Riley Cooper

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Mock Draft: 4 Rounder
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:00 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Love it Pudge...especially Pitta...he reminds me of Brian Finneran type pass catcher...glue for hands. I don't think Spievey will fall to us, with all the positive pub he is getting.

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:12 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Pudge! I'm shocked. No CB in round 1?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:42 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

The more and more I think about it, the more likely I think TD will pass on a corner in Round 1...I just don't think it's the right decision.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:35 pm 

Agreed Pudge if no one is worth taking at 19. Weatherspoon seems to have alot of potential and while need is important also getting the best value (talented player) at 19 is also critical. We don't want to pass on a better player since OLB and corner are needs.This would mean that Wilson or whoever is available isn't worth the 19th pick.The Falcon franchise in the past has passed on to many more talented players just to fit a need.

You really think Spievey will last to the 3rd?I think tight end and receiver will be on the agenda is a talented player is on the board.I do look for the Falcon's to be players in free agency at corner but if Pudge's scenario comes about and the Falcon's rank Spievey high and is still on the board take him then in round 3.I was hoping for a no1 corner though.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:57 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I like it a lot. Don't know that Spievey will be there, but would lock this draft in if possible.

I'm not actually a Weatherspoon fan. I only like LBs in round 1 if you're pretty sure they're going to be major impact...and I want a coverage backer. He's not super quick, which I think is pretty important in the WLB in this system.

That said, I'm worse at grading LB than any other position, so take that for what it's worth. I think we cover four positions with guys who can be contributors very early, so it's hard to beat that.

If for some reason we get a 3comp as well, and you could throw in a Saffold type, I'd be very pleased. I think the 3rd round is going to be good for quality OL and DT players.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:36 am 

It's going to be a linemen heavy draft IMO. As you can see I predicted that 18 of the first 32 picks will be either O or D-linemen. I think that is going to push down cornerbacks where quality may be had deeper into this draft than normal.

Over the past 5 years, on average there have been 8.6 cornerbacks taken in the first 2 rounds. My mock only has 6. A lot of that has to do with the lines being addressed. In that same span, on average 19 linemen have been taken in the first 2 rounds, I have almost that number taken in Round 1. Not including the 7 more I have in Round 2 being taken. So if that prediction holds true, that means 6 players that "on average" would be drafted in the Top 64 picks won't be. Could very well include a couple of corners.

Now I can't definitively say that the CB class will be hurt, but this draft is also relatively strong/deep/top-heavy at LB and S as well. And there isn't a lot of separation between the widely-viewed 2nd best corner (Kyle Wilson) and the guy that may be the tenth best (which is Spievey by NFP's rankings), so I'm not sure teams will be in a rush to get corners early.

Now obviously, I can't accurately predict when runs will occur at any position in the draft. And it's certainly possible there will be a run on CBs in the middle to late part of Round 2, or at the beginning of Round 3, preventing the Falcons from getting the guy they want/like at #83. We shall see.

The fates of Leigh Bodden, Dunta Robinson, and Antonio Cromartie I think will have a large impact on the CB class.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:12 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Which is why it is very difficult to put any credence in any mock until FA is finished. I think the cost of a good CB these days will give many GM's who need them a good excuse to draft them early. However the same thing could be said for DEF Linemen, except it takes longer IMHO for them to produce, and are more of a risk. If we get DRobinson, and I think we will try, then that opens us up to go after Witherspoon or Morgan.

Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:37 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

I think Dunta Robinson would be a good move he is proven and he isnt over the hill (27, I think) and with Decoud and hopefully Moore over the top that makes for a fast and hard hitting Secondary already. We just need to figure out what we are gonna do with Houston he is the only one in the secondary who I have not seen any growth in, I mean he still plays the same as he did as a Rook. They say that he shows so much potential in practice but just doesnt perform in games if thats the case lets put his A** on the practice squad we dont need the J.J. Reddick of the NFL lol. If we get D-Rob then we will be able to sure up two needs in one off season....Then again im no scout but you dont need to be a scout to see that Chris Houston has what my high school coach used to call a Frankenstien neck meaning that its like he has bolts in the sides of his neck so he cant turn his head lol.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:10 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

I like Bodden as well....he can improve the team, which is what it is all about.

Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail