It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Falcons looking at Oshinowo
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:05 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

He's the only guy that I've seen on the major draft sites saying that the Falcons have approached and talked to. He's the big NT from Stanford, who some think are being overshadowed by the bigger and more athletic Ngata and Watson. Here's his practice reports from Scout.com:

Weigh-In Notes: 6'1" 302; Solid and wide.

Monday Practice Notes: Worked hard and displayed both quickness and technique. Presented himself as a straight-line, first-move lineman for the most part.

Tuesday Practice Notes: Establishes his hands well. Actually showed a pass rush for a nose tackle, even pulling out the spin move on one occasion. Hustle was constant downfield as well.

Wednesday Practice Notes: Made a home in the offensive backfield today. Was a consistent disruptive force. Needs to learn to watch the ball and not listen to the quarterback’s signal, especially for a nose tackle. In his pass rush, Babatunde went out of his gap responsibilities on a couple occasions, but does continue to impress for a man of his position in regards to the rush moves he has shown.

Here's the blurbs from NFL Draft Scout:

Monday: Michigan's Gabe Watson had his moments, especially during the late scrimmaging, where both he and Stanford's Babatunde Oshinowo showed that size and power are often more evident in actual football, rather than silly one on one drills that rarely materialize on the field. Both Waston and Oshinowo struggled a bit in these drills early, but proved tough for even the best interior offensive linemen to block during the scrimmages.

Tuesday: More attention will be paid to the defensive line tomorrow, but from what I scouted today, Michigan's Gabe Watson and Stanford's Babatunde Oshinowo will be ones to watch. Each are known more for their run plugging power than pass rush skills, but both showed burst, technique, and great strength in routinely disrupting plays from the inside

Wednesday: Though he hasn't received the same attention, Stanford's Babatunde Oshinowo has also become a dominant force in the middle, especially over the past two days of practice. Oshinowo has great strength and is especially tough to move during interior running plays.

I think the Falcons interest in Baba again illustrates that the massive guys that are 320 or more pounds aren't even on the team's radar. They are looking for the gritty run stoppers between 290-305 pounds to help shore up their run defense because more often than not, you can rely on these guys to be in much better playing shape than massive guys like Watson or Ngata.

By April, I fully expect Oshinowo to be a late 1st round pick, although not a lot of people are saying it now. I would be surprised if he's not the 4th DT taken in this draft after Bunkley, Ngata, and Watson. He seems like a 2nd tier run stuffer that Cincinnati, N.Y. Giants, Carolina, or Indianapolis may be interested in at the end of the 1st round. Could go early 2nd, but I'd be surprised if he dropped all the way to #47.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:35 pm 

I would have to question the sanity in the Falcons front office if they draft yet another DT. In the past few drafts we've drafted Bab's, Lavalais, and Shropshire (DE/DT tweener). Unless Atlanta is thinking of doing something with Coleman I don't see why we would want yet another DT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:26 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

dirtybirdnw wrote:
I would have to question the sanity in the Falcons front office if they draft yet another DT. In the past few drafts we've drafted Bab's, Lavalais, and Shropshire (DE/DT tweener). Unless Atlanta is thinking of doing something with Coleman I don't see why we would want yet another DT.

My thoughts exactly...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:13 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Yeah I have not been a big fan of us getting a DT unless he is huge, for run stuffing purposes. If Lake walks there will be another spot open though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:29 pm 
dirtybirdnw wrote:

You just described why we need a NT.

We have a 5th rounder and 7th rounder at NT, and took a 2nd rounder at UT.

Lavalais and Shrop are great as 2nd stringers with potential, who rotate in, but neither is a dominant force NT, requiring double teams...and that is precisely what is required in this defense.

NT is a bigger need than CB or RB in this draft and FA period. I'd rather sign a FA, because they're pretty cheap.

If you saw the entire right side of our line collapse game in and game out, you know that it's not just RDE, but also NT that is an issue in our primary weakness: run defense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:17 am 

I would disagree, in that as which is often the case, the UT is the best pass rusher in the 4-3 scheme and usually gets the double team. AS you see in the case of Coleman, Shaun Rogers, Warren Sapp, Kris Jenkins, and guys like John Randle, Bryant Young, Sam Adams in the past.

You are correct in that having a NT that requires a double team definitely improves the defensive front immensely, since it is next to impossible for anything but the best offensive lines to put a guard on an island with a top defensvie tackle.

I think one of the major issues with our defensvie front is that Lavalais and Shrop are our only true run stoppers (and neither did a great job this past year), and when neither are on the field, our run defense suffers up the middle. That was not the case in '04 because we constantly had either Jasper or Lavalais on the field.

THe hope is that Babs and Shrop can make big strides this upcoming year. If so, I don't think our problems at DT will be nearly as apparent. Oshinowo is a good player, and I would not fault the Falcons for drafting him.

Unless you're Jacksonville, you probably aren't going to have 2 elite starting DTs, so most teams have to rely on a solid rotation. The Falcons need to have the 4 best DTs on the roster any given year. If that means guys like Lake or Shrop aren't with the team next year, then so be it.

Mora is like Dungy and Jimmy Johnson in that he likes his D-line to get penetration and get upfield quickly. Typcially DTs range from 280-295 pounds, and they are usually the best at getting penetration. It does have its drawback in that it makes you somewhat susceptible to the run up th emiddle, but it really only becomes a problem when you're facing a team like the Steelers that have a very physical interior and like to pound you up the middle.

Profile E-mail