Purveyor of Truth & Justice

http://draft.falcfans.com/?p=168

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 7-Round Mock
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:38 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

A little silly to argue about a mock this early, but it looks good so far. Free agency will have a lot to do with the position order. Jackson or Wilson would be great IMHO.

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:03 pm 

Interesting mock Pudge. Sorry I haven't posted to much lately been real busy working but I can always talk draft. In your opinion what's Jackson's pluses and minuses?Do you consider Jackson a decent no1 corner or a potential solid no2 corner type? I can see Muckleroy at linebacker.The kid at Miami James I'll have to check his scouting report don't know alot about him.

I think overall some solid picks and depth choices.I sure hope we some how pick up a no2 pick.There seems to be alot of talent that should be available in rd 2.I hope we can fill our needs at corner in free agency and save our draft picks.It'd be nice to have a vet young corner to show the others how it is done.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:32 pm 

Cornerback and safety are the hardest positions to evaluate on television. I say that because you're often stuck trying to evaluate a guy off a dozen or so plays. For example, I see Devin McCourty as a mid-to-late round prospect based off what I've seen so far of him. Yet, he's got a borderline 1st/2nd round grade on a lot of people's boards.

I think Jackson has potential to be a No. 1 corner, but I'm not sure he's on the verge of becoming an elite corner. But I think he can be a very good corner, which is exactly what the Falcons need.

There aren't many flaws in Jackson's game. I think he has good hips, good quickness, good footwork, and is willing in run support. I still need to review his play in the National Championship game, but I think he's a good corner. I'm just not sure he or any other corner besides Haden is worth a mid-1st round pick.

But I wouldn't be upset if the Falcons drafted him. Because he has growth potential. And because it's so hard to evaluate corners, that position moreso than any other, guys have an ability/potential to be a lot better pro players than I initially expect them to be coming out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:24 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I like Kareem Jackson as well, but I think picking him at 19 is a bit of a reach.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:40 pm 

Assuming Jackson is on a comparable level with Kyle Wilson (I haven't finished watching tape of Jackson yet), then I'm not sure he is a reach.

At face value, I would say they don't quite seem like to be on par with the guy that I would normally want to get with the 19th overall pick. But in looking at the prospects, I'm not sure there are 20 other prospects that are far and away better than him.

I think there are probably definitely 10-15 guys that would definitely be better fits and/or better overall prospects than Jackson.

This doesn't appear to be a very top-heavy draft a lot like last year. I think its strength is there are a lot of 2nd and 3rd tier prospects that will start coming off the board in the middle of the 1st and then still be around until the latter part of the 2nd round. Unfortunately we don't have a 2nd round pick to take advantage of that depth.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:57 pm 

Agreed this draft has depth but lacks a great deal of top talent that ends around pick 12-15.I would think TD will try to trade down but if there is anyway at all to pick up a 2nd rounder I would do it. I know we don't need Spiller but he is an intriguing prospect that has the home run threat. Given the Falcon's have holes in other areas I can't see taking Spiller who will be a luxury for a team. We already have Turner and apparently will keep Norwood.Wilson,Jackson haven't heard many talk about the kid from Michigan lately Warren.

Profile E-mail