It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clausen a lock as a Top 6 pick
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:37 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I just remembered that Pete Carroll recruited Clausen to go to USC. So presumably, it's doubtful that Clausen will drop past Seattle at #6, if St. Louis or Washington don't take him before.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Clausen a lock as a Top 6 pick
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:53 pm 

Who knows he may surprise since he was in a pro style offense at Notre Dame. I think he'll certainly be a top 10 pick but I am not high on him.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:15 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

i'm not sold on him at all, I think its all Notre Dame hype.... when I watch him I think 2nd, 3rd round project, maybe a couple years in he'll be something but at 6 he's a reach! Of course I believe your right that he will go high even though he shouldn't

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:09 pm 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

Sorry Pudge, but there is no way he goes in the top ten. I have him late first-early second round.

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:40 pm 
Starter
Starter

Clausen is a sure fire top ten pick. He put up really good numbers in his junior year in a pro-style offense. He has the pedigree and he protects the football. There are just too many teams that need QB's, and not enough quality ones available for him to slip. Clausen and Bradford are the only two high first round types and numerous teams are in need of a starting QB. St. Louis will likelly take one first overall. Bulger is probobly retiring and is washed up anyways. There is no one behind him , unless you think Boller is the answer. The Rams wont take Suh, they have too much money tied up in their d-line from high draft picks from previous years. The redskins will likelly go QB as well, Shanahan will want to build around his own guy. That actually creates a situation where Pete Carrol will want to draft and develop his franchise QB for a year behing the washed up Hasselbeck. Carrol likes Causen, and will likelly have to trade up to get him with either the Lions or the Bucs.

Prediction:
Rams-Bradford
Lions-Suh
Seattle(from Tampa)-Clausen
Skins-Okung or Bryant
KC-Berry, McCoy, or Bryant
Tampa-McCoy/Berry/McClain/Bryant/Haden/etc.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:34 pm 

I gotta say, heading into January, I thought Clausen would fall down the board. But not the case anymore. He's not the ideal Top 10 pick in my book, but the less than stellar Senior Bowl weeks for the other prospects like PIke, Canfield, really help his stock. Colt McCoy doesn't have a big arm, and he'll fall probably until the end of ROund 2.

So unless Pike, Levi Brown, Snead, or Tebow manage to put on a great show at the Combine and/or their pro days, then Clausen isn't going to slip that far into the draft, because the drop-off between him and the rest of the class is so significant.

There doesn't appear to be a Josh Freeman in this draft class that could make Clausen look bad by comparison. He's got a strong arm, good accuracy, smart.

It's all about need. And the Rams, Seahawks, Bills, and Redskins all need one. And there aren't enough veteran options this off-season to go around to fill all of those needs.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:39 pm 

With the revelation that Walter Jones is retiring, I'm a bit more skeptical about my prediction above now.

I guess it'll come down to how the Seahawks address their RB position this off-season.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:29 am 

Charlie Casserly said that he has been hearing that Clausen's toe isn't likely to be healed enough between now and the draft for him to be able to go through a full workout.

But presumably if he still can throw at the Notre Dame pro day he should be fine. But it seems like BB might be right, and Clausen will drop.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:50 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

I think the ND workout day will seal his fate, as you suggested Pudge. Given the propensity of some NFL Teams to gamble, he could move up into the top 20....but my opinion is based on that not happening.

Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:50 am 

A lot will depend on what guys like Pike and McCoy do from here on out. What hurt Brady Quinn in 2007 was the belief that there wasn't a lot that separated him from guys like Kevin Kolb, John Beck, Drew Stanton, and Trent Edwards, guys that teams knew they could get in the 2nd round.

So Quinn dropped on draft day, until the Browns traded back into the 1st to get him, just like the Packers did with Aaron Rodgers 2 years before.

I think if teams ultimately feel that there isn't a lot of difference between Clausen and those 2nd tier guys like Pike & Co., then he'll drop.

But if they do, then it's hard for me to see him not being a Top 15 pick. He could very easily fall out of the Top 10. It's interesting that most of the teams that have serious QB concerns also have serious LT concerns. Washington, Seattle, and Buffalo all need QBs, but also really need LTs. The Broncos, Jaguars, and 49ers are teams out of the Top 10 that I think would be interested in him. But the Jags won't take a QB unless they really fall in love with Clausen. The 49ers won't either for the same reason.

I think it's the Broncos that are the wild card here. Josh McDaniels isn't committed to Kyle Orton beyond this year, and Clausen knows his offense, and should be ready to start in 2011 if they were to take him. But the Broncos also have serious issues on their D-line, as well as WR if they manage to trade Brandon Marshall.

My personal opinion is that if the Broncos are smart, they keep Marshall. There's just no way they will be able to replace his value in their offense even with a rookie WR as talented as Dez Bryant (who now people are saying might be a Top 5 pick). Unless you can get a #1 for Marshall, you keep him. Without him in the lineup, the Broncos passing game will be non-existent this year since Eddie Royal, Brandon Stokley, Jabar Gaffney, and Daniel Graham are nothing more than 40 catch guys.

So right now, I feel like Clausen will go #11 to Denver. If they pass on him, then I think it might be hard for the Seahawks to pass him up at #14, but I'm sure if Spiller is still on the board there, then he'll be hard to pass up. And if they pass on him, then he'll free fall down the board.

But I'm sure somebody at the top of Round 2 will move up into Round 1 to take him in that 20-25 range that both Quinn, Rodgers, Campbell, and Flacco went.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:49 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
With the revelation that Walter Jones is retiring, I'm a bit more skeptical about my prediction above now.

I guess it'll come down to how the Seahawks address their RB position this off-season.

If the 'Hawks don't address that oline, it won't matter whose taking snaps or running the ball. In hindsight it seemed Mora would have liked Sanchez, prob could have kept his job if he had drafted him too.

Clausen.....ND........ :rofl:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:32 pm 

Is it tradition for ND QBs to take fruity pictures. I recall Quinn having a goofy homoerotic picture of him from his college days.

At least he doesn't have another man's name tattooed on his leg like Chris Simms.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:24 pm 
Superstar
Superstar

Quote:
Is it tradition for ND QBs to take fruity pictures.

I don't know, but sounds about right. I don't know how he would even begin to explain his way out of that picture. Its a couple yrs old, but I knew it would come in handy at some pt. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:15 am 
2009 Mock Contest Winner
2009 Mock Contest Winner

El gato wrote:
Clausen is a sure fire top ten pick.

:rofl:

Vince Lombardi

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:40 am 
Superstar
Superstar

Yeah, the draft was pretty surreal as far as QB's go.