It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kiper's 1st round Mock Needs Rds 2 and 3
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:39 pm 

Thought I would share this with the board from Mel Kiper. Looking at the Falcon's I would be very upset if Kindle were the pick for the Falcon's rd 1.Kindle only weighs 236 pds and is the definition of a tweener. Having players like Weatherspoon still on the board no way do I draft an undersized def end.Even if Kindle can play olb you still have better all around players in Weatherspoon and Spikes.Biermann was unddersized coming into the NFL and Kindle is even smaller.Now on the flip side I did here Jevon Kearse played at I believe lesser weight than Kindle as a def end at the end of his career.

If a player like Jason Worilds were available rd 3 I think it would be a good pick. Syd Quan Thompson I can't see getting out of the 2nd rd.

Kiper's 'Grade A' DraftAfter his Round 1 mock, Mel assessess needs and pick options in Rounds 2 and 3Comment Email Print Share By Mel Kiper
ESPN.com
Archive

Getty Images
The secret to a good draft is not filling a need by sacrificing value; but it works both ways.

You've already seen my first mock draft. Now it's time to take it further. Every year I hand out grades after the draft, and I even handed out draft grades this year after a full season. What gets you a good grade?

It's a combination of addressing needs and drafting for value. You can do well if you properly address a huge need with a high pick, like Detroit did by taking Matthew Stafford at first overall. But if you address a need with a really bad value pick -- like Kansas City drafting Tyson Jackson last year at No. 3 -- it hurts your grade, particularly when you have multiple needs. If you address needs and get good value, such as Green Bay with B.J. Raji and Clay Matthews Jr., you've nailed it.

So here's a primer, an early look at what could get teams an "A." I have lined up teams, their top needs, their first-round pick and then some possible second- and third-round picks. Again, these will change -- perhaps greatly -- as we get results from the Senior Bowl, the NFL combine and other workouts. Even some needs could change, but let's just say we can build from here and do it all again later. You'll see that some teams will have second- and third-round pick options overlap, as players are slotted there based on current grades. Here we go with the NFC (AFC tomorrow):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NFC East

Dallas Cowboys
Top needs: LT, WR, FS, LB, CB
First round (27): OT Bruce Campbell
Second-round options (59): S Chad Jones, S DeAndre McDaniel, LB Sean Lee, LB Daryl Washington, WR Mardy Gilyard
Third-round options (90): WR Jordan Shipley, LB Micah Johnson, CB Alterraun Verner, CB Trevard Lindley, S Harry Coleman
Summary: I think any Dallas fan would be happy if the team lands a talented tackle late in the first round, and Campbell could be an exceptional value when it's all said and done, because he continues to improve. I actually think Dallas can upgrade at the WR position, and Gilyard or Shipley could help in the slot. The Cowboys need a free safety, and it'll be interesting to see what they do if, somehow, Taylor Mays were to fall all the way to No. 27. I also think a fourth CB would be good and the crop is unremarkable, but there's some depth. I like Verner better than some and Lindley's been good.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New York Giants
Top needs: MLB, DL, CB, S, RT, RB
First round (15): DE Carlos Dunlap
Second-round options (46): LB Brandon Spikes, LB Jamar Chaney, S Chad Jones, S Morgan Burnett, CB Perrish Cox, CB Kyle Wilson
Third-round options (74): RB James Starks, LB Darryl Sharpton, OT Chris Scott, OT Tony Washington, CB Myron Lewis
Summary: People might question the idea of taking Dunlap, but if you have a guy capable of being taken in the top five still there at No. 15, you're getting a remarkable value. Meanwhile, people point to the Giants' secondary, but the team quietly was in the bottom half of the NFL in sacks, and nothing helps a secondary better than a pass rush. You won't want a CB at No. 15, because after Haden there's a huge drop-off, so it's better to add help at LB or in the secondary with the next two picks. I can also see the Giants tempted if a RB they have rated really high is still there in Round 3.

Philadelphia Eagles
Top needs: FS, OLB, DE, RB, CB
First round (24): Navorro Bowman
Second-round options (55): S Reshad Jones, DE George Selvie , RB Joe McKnight, S Chad Jones
Third-round options (70, 87): DE Willie Young, DE Brandon Lang, RB Dexter McCluster, CB Donovan Warren, CB Walter Thurmond
Summary: With no impact safety available at No. 24, Bowman makes a lot of sense both in terms of value and scheme. You could then see the Eagles go for whoever they have rated highest at safety in the next round. There's plenty of depth in this draft along the defensive line, so you can get a really good defensive end into the third and even fourth rounds (and they have the extra pick from Seattle in Round 3). With Brian Westbrook's future in question, it'll be interesting to see if the Eagles are tempted by a player like Jahvid Best, who could be around at No. 24. They hit a home run the last time they took a playmaker out of Cal, as we all know.

Washington Redskins
Top needs: QB, OT, RB, G, DE
First round (4): Sam Bradford
Second-round options (37): OT Charles Brown, OT Selvish Capers, RB Jahvid Best
Third-round options: No third-round picks (used in the supplemental draft)
Summary: For a roster that really needs an infusion of talent and depth, you could question the quarterback pick so early, but Bradford represents a chance to get a franchise quarterback, and again, you're getting the player many had pegged as the No. 1 option for the Lions last year had he jumped. You expect Mike Shanahan to retool the offensive line, and both Brown and Capers are the athletic types Shanahan prefers.

NFC West

Arizona Cardinals
Top needs: LT, DT, CB, OLB, QB
First round (26): DT Dan Williams
Second-round options (58): OT Selvish Capers, OT Tony Washington, CB Javier Arenas, CB Kareem Jackson, OLB Jerry Hughes
Third-round options (89): OT Kyle Calloway, CB Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, CB Myron Lewis, QB Daryll Clark, OLB Antonio Coleman
Summary: I like the Williams pick because you need a great guy in the middle of that 3-4, and Williams is tremendously strong and is a guy that can occupy blockers. The Cardinals would be smart to get the best value they can at tackle, particularly with the idea that this could be Matt Leinart's team, and protecting him and giving him time has to be a huge priority. You could also see them getting a great value edge rusher or a CB for a secondary that got torched in the playoffs.

San Francisco 49ers
Top needs: RT, G, DE, S, CB
First round (13, 16): Trent Williams, Earl Thomas
Second-round options (49): G Mike Iupati, DE Corey Wooton, S Morgan Burnett, CB Kyle Wilson
Third-round options (79): G Jon Asamoah, CB Syd'Quan Thompson, S Major Wright, DE Hall Davis, DE D.J. Wilson, OLB Rico McCoy
Summary: Some people will consider taking a RT at No. 13 a bit of a leap in terms of value, but Williams is an outstanding player that can strengthen you immediately. If the 49ers go with a guard, Iupati is a fantastic one, and the offensive line gets a lot better overnight. Thomas, as I said in the mock, covers a ton of ground and can help immediately. From there the Niners could try to get good value elsewhere in the secondary or look for a DE or even a pass-rushing OLB. I can also see San Francisco taking a later-rounds shot on a QB, but this team needs to focus on more glaring needs early on.

Seattle Seahawks
Top needs: LT, QB, DE, RB, FS
First round (6, 14): DE Derrick Morgan, RB C.J. Spiller
Second-round options (40): OT Charles Brown, OT Selvish Capers, S Chad Jones
Third-round options: No third-round picks
Summary: I think Morgan can be a help to the Seattle defense immediately as a versatile defensive end, a guy capable of getting to the quarterback, making tackles in the run game and playing every down. A lot of people expect Seattle to take a tackle or a quarterback with one of these two picks, but I can see the 'Hawks grabbing Spiller if he's there as both a great value and because their offense desperately needs a playmaker. If Clausen somehow fell ... maybe. If they don't go with a tackle with one of the first two picks, it's hard to believe they won't hope for a guy like Brown to fall to them at No. 40. They won't ignore the offensive line completely.

St. Louis Rams
Top needs: QB, WR, DT, TE, OLB, RB
First round (1): DT Ndamukong Suh
Second-round options (33): RB Jahvid Best, WR Arrelious Benn, OLB Sean Weatherspoon, TE Rob Gronkowski
Third-round options (65): QB Colt McCoy, TE Ed Dickson, OLB Perry Riley, OLB Jerry Hughes, WR Damian Williams
Summary: The Rams only have a need for Suh insomuch as anybody could need the clearly most dominating player on the board at this stage. Unless they can get out of the pick, Suh is the safest choice. You have to suspect there's a chance that a team that desperately needs to figure out their QB situation could fall in love with a guy like Jimmy Clausen, but we don't know that yet. They could also have Michael Vick in town next year, for all we know. The Rams have needs everywhere. They have a good RB in Steven Jackson, but Best could add a new dimension. They need a WR, they need a TE, they need an OLB. They have other needs, but these are the most glaring, so they should get the best value they can at every pick.

NFC North

Chicago Bears
Top needs: RT, G, WR, DT, CB
First round: No first-round picks
Second-round options: No second-round picks
Third-round options (75): WR Dezmon Briscoe, OT Tony Washington, DT D'Anthony Smith, CB Brandon Ghee, G Jon Asamoah
Summary: It'll be quiet for a while in the Bears' war room. They don't have a first-round pick, but they have Jay Cutler to show for it. Their second-round pick went to Tampa Bay, and tragically for the team and the league, Gaines Adams, the player they received for that pick, passed away. The Bears need to get younger along the offensive line, and they also need to supply Jay Cutler with another WR. The issue is that they are already so young at that position that the draft -- and the third round -- may not be the best place to address it. Look for the Bears to find, quite simply, the best value they can.

Detroit Lions
Top needs: CB, DT, DE, OT, WR, RB
First round (2): DT Gerald McCoy
Second-round options (34):, CB Perrish Cox, DE Greg Hardy, WR Arrelious Benn, RB Jahvid Best, OT Charles Brown
Third-round options (66): DE Willie Young, WR Damian Williams, CB Donovan Warren, CB Dominique Franks, RB James Starks, OT Selvish Capers
Summary: The Lions can't go wrong at No. 2 because if the Rams decide to pass on Suh they win, and if Suh is off the board you have McCoy, a tremendous talent in his own right, and a guy who can help the Detroit defense in 2010. The Lions obviously will want to deepen their offensive line to benefit the rising Matthew Stafford, and should also consider getting help at WR and RB, where Kevin Smith is adequate, but not dynamic, and his health is a big issue. The Lions need to get a lot better up front on defense, and if they get McCoy and then add a DE in the second or third round, from a deep class in that area, they should grade out well.

Green Bay Packers
Top needs: OT, S, RB, LB, CB
First round (23): S Taylor Mays
Second-round options (56): OT/G Vladimir Ducasse, , OT Selvish Capers, RB Ryan Mathews, RB Joe McKnight,
Third-round options (86): RB Montario Hardesty, LB Patrick Angerer, OT Kyle Calloway, CB Trevard Lindley
Summary: Need meets value in Round 1 when the Packers solve a problem in the secondary by getting the maligned but undeniably talented Taylor Mays, who showed some caution this year both in coverage and as a tackler, but didn't get a lot of help from a very young USC defense. The Packers need to continue to build the offensive line because Aaron Rodgers was under too much pressure this year, but I also think they want to add depth and talent to the RB position. And you never have too many talented LBs in the 3-4 Dom Capers has installed.

Minnesota Vikings
Top needs: CB, G/C, DT, MLB, OLB, QB
First round (30): CB Patrick Robinson
Second-round options (62): G Jon Asamoah, LB Daryl Washington, OLB Rennie Curran
Third-round options (93): C J.D. Walton, DT Al Woods, OLB Rod Muckelroy, CB Brian Jackson, QB Tim Tebow, DT Lamarr Houston
Summary: Robinson would be an ideal pick in Round 1. He's the No. 2 CB in the entire draft class right now, behind Florida's Joe Haden, and he has the experience to be able to help out in nickel coverage right away. Obviously, the uncertainty at QB is an issue, but I think the Vikings will want to also address the interior of the offensive line, as well as look for a possible partner or heir to Pat Williams along the defensive front. Drafting at a strength position isn't always a bad idea. I think given the injury to E.J. Henderson, depth in the linebacking corps is need. The Vikings look great at the skill positions, so defense and the interiors should be the focus.

NFC South

Atlanta Falcons
Top needs: DE, CB, OL, LB, WR
First round (19): OLB Sergio Kindle
Second-round options: No second-round picks
Third-round options (73): DE Jason Worilds, CB Dominique Franks, CB Syd'Quan Thompson, WR Eric Decker, LB Daryl Washington, TE Garrett Graham
Summary: The Falcons tied for 26th in the NFL in sacks in 2009, so anybody that gives them some help in getting to the quarterback is a good thing. Kindle is probably undersized as a pure 4-3 DE, but he can help in pass-rushing situations. Kindle could also convert to an upright. I think the Falcons would be thrilled if a guy like Griffen fell to them at No. 19. They could also use help at CB, and I actually think they should add some depth at the WR position, because as Matt Ryan enters his third year he'll be able to do more -- and more talent at receiver, or even an apprentice to Tony Gonzalez, wouldn't be a bad idea.

Carolina Panthers
Top needs: QB, WR, DT, TE
First round: No first-round picks
Second-round options (48): WR Brandon LaFell, WR Damian Williams, DT Arthur Jones
Third-round options (76): DT Gene Atkins, DT Vince Oghobaase, WR Damaryius Thomas, WR Mike Williams, QB Tim Tebow, QB Sean Canfield, QB Dan LeFevour
Summary: I was hard on the Panthers in my grades last year for trading away a first-round pick to get in position to draft Everette Brown, and it can't feel good to be outside of a loaded first round. That said, a team that really needs WRs can get a good one in Round 2. I have QB as a need simply because the team needs to get settled, and even if they think they have something with Matt Moore, they might as well consider adding a young arm behind him. In the meantime, find Moore some targets, and then consider depth on the defensive line. If a guy like Jones fell to No. 48 -- which isn't likely at this stage -- they'd be tempted.

New Orleans Saints
Top needs: OLB, DT, S
First round (31): DT Jared Odrick
Second-round options (62): LB Sean Lee, LB Sean Weatherspoon, LB Daryl Washington, S Larry Asante, S Morgan Burnett
Third-round options (92): LB Micah Johnson, S Harry Coleman, RB Dexter McCluster
Summary: The pick of Odrick isn't supposed to be a statement, an admittance that Sedrick Ellis was a bad pick two years ago. The bottom line is that Odrick is a great value. The Saints will need to continue to improve against the run and extremely talented interior linemen like Odrick that can let your LBs run free are guys you can't have enough of. Weatherspoon and Lee are both guys that would have to fall, but either could be a second-round home run. A great safety value could be an option, or a guy like McCluster, who Sean Payton could do a lot with if, for some unlikely reason, Reggie Bush ends up elsewhere.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Top needs: WR, S, DE, DT, G, CB
First round (3): S Eric Berry
Second-round options (35, 42): WR Arrelious Benn, WR Brandon LaFell, DE Greg Hardy, DT Arthur Jones, CB Perrish Cox
Third-round options (67): G Jon Asamoah, CB Kareem Jackson, DT D'Anthony Smith, DE George Selvie, DE Willie Young, WR Dezmon Briscoe, WR Eric Decker
Summary: Safety isn't the top need position I see on this team, but there's no reason at all to pass up a guy like Berry, who is rightfully compared to Ed Reed and can change the image of your defense from the safety position. He's just an exceptional talent that will help immediately. I think the Bucs need to give some help to their young quarterback and if Benn is sitting there at No. 35, he represents great value. Help along the interior and edges of the defensive line is imperative, so the Bucs can't go wrong with the top value available there in Round 2 or 3. Hardy at No. 42 would be a gift, but you doubt he'll be around. Getting Selvie, who played his college games in the same stadium, would be a solid grab at No. 67 overall.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Kiper's 1st round Mock Needs Rds 2 and 3
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:58 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I don't think the Falcons would draft Kindle to be an end. He'd be a OLB all the way and would compete with Nicholas for the starting SLB spot. What he does bring to the table is arguably a better pass rusher than Nicholas is, as well as having the athletic ability and range that Nicholas does not possess to be potentially better in coverage and vs. the run than Nicholas.

While Kindle could be used in a similar hybrid end/linebacker role that Brian Orakpo has been used in D.C. this past year, I do not believe he would be as good in that role as Orakpo is. It's my personal opinion, but at this point Kindle is about as good an NFL prospect as Clint Sintim was last year. And IMO, the #19-20 range is too high to take a project of that magnitude. While both players have tremendous upside, neither player is likely to come in the league and perform at a high level right away. Sintim did play this past year, but he didn't start a single game and only had 15 tackles and 1 sack in 11 games.

I've only evaluated Kindle in one game this past year, but he did not seem to have improved significantly from last year to this. Doesn't mean he won't in the future, but IMO that's not the type of player that should be a Top 25 pick, especially for a 4-3 team.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:06 pm 

Thanks for the input Pudge on Kindle. Kindle fits in a 3-4 more than a 4-3 defense in my opinion. The last thing we need is a bust pick or a player that underperforms. We need playmakers and there are just to many questions at Kindle's weight to warrant picking him. I would rather take Jerry Hughes if were going the smaller route and were forced to take a tweener.

I'm not TD but if I had to pick a linebacker in the 1st it would be Weatherspoon or even Spikes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:08 pm 

As for those 3rd round options, I like most of them.

Worilds, Franks, and Thompson are 2nd round talents that would be steals in the 3rd round. Assuming the Falcons don't go DE with their #1 pick, if Worilds was to drop out of the Top 50 picks, I would probably trade up to get him. I'm a big fan of Thompson, but I'm not sure another 5-9 corner would do wonders for this defense. Franks has much better size (6-0/190) and would be a better fit, and better IMO than the normal 3rd round talent at CB.

I'm not a huge fan of Decker because I think he'll have trouble separating at this level, and I'm not sure he'll be any better a player than Brian Finneran was in his prime. And while that would be a nice addition at No. 4, I'm not sure he's going to be good enough to be any better option as a No. 2 or No. 3 target than anybody we currently have on the roster.

Graham is a solid prospect that I think has a bit of Owen Daniels in him. He won't be an elite tight end, but he'll be a nice productive type that could be a reliable 40-50 catch option in our offense as a replacement for Gonzo in a few years.

Profile E-mail