It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deangleo Williams and chance falcs take him with No 15?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:45 am 
I was thinking if it wouldn't be so far fetched if the falcon's took Williams with there 1st rounder.He may be there at pick 15 and would be enticing.Dunn is getting older,duckett isn't the back we hoped and williams combines dunns speed with duckett's power. Williams is a horse carrying the ball alot and with the running back getting the majority of touches on offense Williams could be devasting.I wonder tohugh with the falcon's offense would williams fit the bill as the kind of runner dunn is a cutback runner? I don't know anyone have any thoughts on williams style of running. Dunn is good but gets taken down alot by arm tackles and while he has good speed isn't a home run threat.Williams on the other hand I believe is a home run threat with power to break tackles.I will have to chk on some of his long runs.

I know defense is what wins championships and running backs can be found as low as the 4th round but if williams is a special player would the falcon's go with him over any defensive player.Is williams potential that high? If it is then defenses will have a tough time stopping vick,the passing game when it develops and williams all at the same time.

I am torn on this I think williams could behind our offensive line rush for over 1500 yards his rookie year.One thing about the draft anytime you have a chance to get a special player you do it despite the rhetoric from the media for defense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:01 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

DeAngelo Williams would definitely be worth our pick in the first and if he is there, we should grab him. DeAngelo Williams = Marshall Faulk with more power & a little less top end speed. He would be a tremendous pick for us, even though we need D help.

Just FYI, Williams is a cutback style of runner that would excel in this scheme. he has tremendous shiftiness and great acceleration in his first few steps. Reminds me a lot of Jamal Anderson with better speed & a bit less power.

Williams is a special player without a doubt and he would benefit greatly coming to a team like Atlanta with our scheme & Dunn in place, which would allow him to get used to the higher level of competition and add a couple years onto his career as Dunn will carry the load this coming year & next.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:11 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Williams is a great player, but we have to focus on our needs this year, which is defense. I think we can hold off one more year on using a first rounder on a RB. Now if by some chance we trade Schaub or Duckett and get another first rounder, then sure do it, but I just think we need to draft a CB/S or DE with the first pick. Of course it all depends on FA. If we can get Rodney Harrison if he's left go like he might be and pick up a right DE, then I might think again about drafting a RB. Either way, we have to do something to get some help defensively this offseason.

Post subject: Do you take a possible great player or good player?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:25 am 
The question every GM has to ask himself when drafting the player is no1 does it fill a need and ulimatley can the draft choice be a great player insteado fr a good player.This is where scouting comes into play and one wrong move can get you a mike junkin instead of a brian ulracher. That may not be the comparison I want lets just say a team picks player A who turns out good and fills a need but player b turns out to be a superstar although not an immediate need would pay off big time in 1 yr.

I think Mckay,Mora have got o look at this and not have there blinders on.Sure there will be some good defenders (Huff,Kiwi,Hali) but if Williams grades out far ahead of them then I would not discount running back as no15 choice.

I have said before see what you can get for schaub.All i mean is if a team wants to give a high second rounder or 1st do it.You would be foolish to pass on it since this draft looks much stronger than next years where people want to trade schaub then.Sign a backup free agent and draft a QB later on that can develop.

I think with phil rivers likely staying in san diego since brees is injured they need a security blanket and kitna is off the market since palmer is out for the year schaub's stock should be rising.A high second rounder or 20-30 first rounder could get us maybe Hali,ko simpson,winston justice any number of players and deangelo williams at no 15.Could you inagine getting hali plus williams or williams and simpson we would have really upgraded the team and would have our 2nd plus the rest of the draft.Mckay better look into this but things would have to drop just right for the falcons.Cleveland needs a running back and you know philly if williams was on the board might jump at him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:50 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

I don't think you can pick need over a "BEst Player Available" guy like Williams. IMO, Williams is a sure-fire Top 10 pick, so him being available at #15 is a long shot unless he tears up his knee between now and April. He's just too good to fall that far in the draft.

I think the Falcons in hindsight will say they made a mistake not taking Kevin Jones in 2004 rather taking Jenkins. Jones would have been a great back in this scheme, and iMO was far and away a better overall player than Jenkins.

Although I expect Dunn and Duckett to be back in 2006, how long they play after that season on this team is totally up in the air. Althoguh Dunn was outstanding this past year, if he doesn't quite follow up a career year with another solid year (measuring stick maybe less than 1000 yards), then the Falcons may decide he's gone after this year. But a lot will depend on how the Falcons deal with his current contract and the league-wide salary cap sitch in 2007.

Duckett is a free agent after this year (if the cap is extended), and unless the Falcons guarantee him the lead role in the offense (which may only occur if Dunn is cut), I doubt he stays. Not when a team like Pittsburgh may be willing to pay him huge gobs of money.

What then do the Falcons do at RB? Maybe, DeAndra Cobb will have developed enough at that point that he can be a viable option. Now, I believe with Vick under center and our OL, we can stick any halfway decent RB back there and have a relatively successful ground attack, but having a 1st or 2nd round talent back there makes it so much better.

When you look at POrtis' bests from his 2 years in Denver and compare then to Mike Anderson/Tatum Bell's numbers from this year, you see that (if carries were equal), Portis' would have resulted in 331 more yards, 3 more TDs, 4 more big plays (runs of 20+ yards), and 16 more first downs than the Anderson/Bell duo. Not a huge increase, but significant.

The whole "BPA" philosophy is not exclusive to who is the best player available regardless of position, but who is the Best Player Available that helps your team. I think with the situations in New Orleans (Ricky & Deuce) and Buffalo (Henry & McGahee), it proves that taking a RB when you already are "set" at that position is not a bad move. IN fact, both teams have benefited much more than they would have if they sought help at other positions.

We are living year to year at this point at RB. If we can get a guy that can secure that position for 5-7 years down the road, then why wouldn't you make a move.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:54 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

After watching Jenkins embarass Ronde Barber in the next to last game of the year, and with the lack of production Jones has in Detroit, I feel safe saying we got the better player. A lot of the hype with Jones was that he supposedly ran a 4.2 or whatever BS number VaTech was spitting for him. Well he ran a 4.6 at the Combine, whereas Jenkins ran a sub 4.4, which tells you Jenkins is not only a big WR but a threat to take it to the house everytime he touches the ball.

Duckett won't be back in 2006 most likely as there are reports we are already shopping him around. Williams could easily drop to our pick if he doesn't run a sub 4.5 at the Combine or if his strength or agility numbers are bad. I have seen a number of mock drafts that have him dropping to Minnesota at the 17th pick. Unless he really looked terrible at the Combine, I would have him as our #1 BPA for offense and a must at the 15th pick if he is there. I don't usually like small school backs, but every 5-7 years one comes along that is truly special & DeAngelo looks like that guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:17 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

To tell you the truth I wouldnt take Williams. The kid already has alot of milegae on his tires and one of his biggest weaknesses is his pass blocking, something that we despratly need from our backfield if we are going to continue to put te same OL out there.