Post subject: Ashton Youboty to declare for NFL Draft
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:01 pm 
OSU FOOTBALL | NOTEBOOK
Youboty leaving to enter NFL draft
Sunday, January 08, 2006
Tim May
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

NEAL C . LAURON | DISPATCH
Ashton Youboty, intercepting a pass intended for Northwestern’s Ross Lane, is projected to be a late first- to third-round pick.

Ohio State cornerback Ashton Youboty told The Dispatch by prepared statement yesterday that he is leaving for the NFL.

He became the second Buckeyes junior to make the jump since the win over Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl, joining receiver Santonio Holmes. Donte Whitner could be the third. Even though an OSU spokesman said the safety has told the coaches of his plans, he has yet to make them public.

The Buckeyes could lose all four starters from their defensive backfield, including seniors Nate Salley (safety) and Tyler Everett (cornerback), and nine starters on defense overall.

Though Youboty has been projected anywhere from late first round to third round, he said it was time to leave.

"Because of the fact I can graduate in June and I believe I am ready to play football at the next level, I am choosing to forgo my senior season," Youboty said in his statement. "I would like to thank all of the fans, my teammates and my coaches for a wonderful Ohio State experience."

Coach Jim Tressel said he understood Youboty’s motivation.

"The one thing that is a reality in this new world of early enrollment is that some of the guys feel more a part of the older class that they are really not in," he said. "In Ashton’s case, he was only here one quarter less time than (seniors) Nate Salley and A.J. Hawk. I think he feels a little more attached to that group. . . . I just hope he gains the draft status he is capable of gaining."

Youboty, like Whitner, enrolled in January 2003. Tressel did not want to comment on Whitner’s decision before he made it public.

Lineman commits

Ohio State gained a commitment from Robert Rose, one of the nation’s top defensive line prospects, during the U.S. Army All-American game yesterday.

Rose, who is 6 feet 4, 260 pounds and from Cleveland Glenville, also considered Florida and Southern California. Five Glenville players have preceded Rose to Ohio State in recent years, including quarterback Troy Smith and receiver Ted Ginn Jr. And Ginn’s father, who is Glenville’s coach, was coach of the winning East team.

"I want to go where family is," said Rose, who has been playing football for just two years but has excelled, in part, because of 4.6-second speed in the 40-yard dash. "I feel right at home at Ohio State."

Rose is the 12 th commitment to the class of 2006.

Running back Chris Wells of Akron Garfield, another Ohio State recruit, was named the game’s outstanding performer after scoring three touchdowns. Ginn and Texas quarterback Vince Young were previous winners of the award. A 6-2, 230-pounder, Wells will enroll in time for spring practice.

Wells "is the No. 1 back in the country," recruiting analyst Tom Lemming said during NBC’s broadcast. "He’s sort of like a Maurice Clarett but without the baggage. He’ll be starting next year."

The Buckeyes lost out on a player when defensive back A.J. Wallace, of Pomfret, Md., picked Penn State over Ohio State and Florida.

tmay@dispatch.com

Post subject: This draft is getting tacked
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:03 pm 
With Youboty declaring the depth at corner in this draft is getting very good.

1.Huff
2.Williams
3.Cromartie
4.Youboty
5.Hill

Huff can play corner but even if you put him at safety you got 4 legit no 1 corners.Sure you don't want to trade Schaub for an extra pick now? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:29 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Well it seems that the cornerback class has greatly improved in the last few weeks.

But besides Jimmy Williams, I'm not sure there is really a corner that would merit the #15 pick among these guys. Cromartie is/was highly rated before he got hurt, but how much is his injury a factor now?

I think the Falcons stand actually a good chance (as it stands now) to be in a position to get Jimmy Williams. Most view that Williams might have fallen out of the Top 10 based on his bowl performance, and of course 3 of the 4 teams ahead of us could use a corner of his abilities (Rams, Browns, and Eagles), the Falcons are now in a position to move up a few spots in order to get him.

If that's possible, then the Falcons should jump at the chance to pick up D-lo's former college teammate.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: How good is Williams?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:38 pm 
I am wondering how good williams really is since all these other corners are coming out.I heard cromartie is about 90% recovered and at 6'3 gives you unmatched size plus would have easliy been at least a top 10 pick if not top 5 .Heard that I think it was from Kiper. William, I know he is highly rated but is he really that much better than the other corners? The Falcon's I think our looking for a def end pass rusher in the first altohugh as I have said if they don't see alot of difference in Kiwi,Hali vs Tapp maybe they go another position in the 1st and try to get tapp in the second.