It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1st Round Pick
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:44 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I have been watching a lot of the mock drafts and about 50% of them have us getting M. Huff CB/S from Texas. I am not exactly sure he will be around at #15 but if he is would you guys want him? If not, would you like to trade down and see what we get?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:52 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

I like Huff. But he is somewhat of a tweener. I personally think we need physical play from our safties, more physical than Huff. I believe I would trade down. Good safties will be available later than the 15th selection and we could sure use the extra picks.

I have a feeling, and that is all it is, that Huff will start his career at safety in the NFL but could wind up playing corner. He reminds me a little too much of Bryan Scott which tends to make me leery of him.

Note- I would still try to trade Schaub and Duckett.......trade up for Kiwi if he falls enough.....trade down for a physical safety such as Bing. Also, still hoping for an overhaul at the safety position. Two starting free agents, two kids in the draft. I feel the position is that bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:19 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Yeah, if we drafted Huff, I'd rather see him work at cornerback. He'd be a good safety, but I'd rather see someone more physical than him. But the truth is that we have such a weakness at safety, that putting Huff back there is going to help the team more for the short term rather than working him at the nickel corner spot.

I think the opposite Denim, I think Huff will start off as a cornerback and then eventually make the move to safety as his career progresses. That is usually what happens to most tweeners in the NFL.

Willie Middlebrooks
Corey Chavous
Tebucky Jones
Darren Sharper
Mark Roman
Pierson Prioleau

All examples of that. Gary Baxter is one of the few examples of a tweener that has managed to remain at cornerback, although he's played safety in the past.

The truth is that if you look throughout draft history, most tweeners never make it at cornerback. It was one of the reasons why I was initially upset with the Bryan Scott pick because the team planned on playing him at CB when he was a longshot at that position. So if Huff is indeed a tweener, maybe we and other NFL teams should see him as a safety.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 1st Round Pick
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:26 am 
Veteran
Veteran

Absolute_Vicktory wrote:
I have been watching a lot of the mock drafts and about 50% of them have us getting M. Huff CB/S from Texas. I am not exactly sure he will be around at #15 but if he is would you guys want him? If not, would you like to trade down and see what we get?

Please post links to the mock sites you refer to. I've only found one so far that's active.

Huff was mentioned highly during the game the other night, for what that's worth and he sure doesn't appear to be afraid to mix it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:14 pm 
I'd say that if the AJC is correct in its latest article and we do persue and acquire Rodney Harrison from the Pats as rumor has it he will be released, I would love to see us trade down and go after Greg Blue or even Bing wouldnt be a bad choice here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:55 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I would love to get Greg Blue in the 2nd round, even if we have to trade up to get him. I think he's the type of hitter we need, and I think he would do great in a Falcons uniform.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:13 pm 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Is he the guy that jacked up the FB from USC?...During USC's first or second drive?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:50 pm 
^^^Huff that is

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:01 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

mickvick302 wrote:
Is he the guy that jacked up the FB from USC?...During USC's first or second drive?

No, that was Michael Griffin, who also picked off the Leinart pass to save a TD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:41 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I will post a thread with mock draft sites.