It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DT shot near top of the list
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:03 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

With the expected retirement of Ed Jasper, DT has now become a bigger priority. I know some will say that since we have Lavalais, it's not a big deal, but I don't think Lavalais is quite ready yet to be a starter. Travis Hall looks like he may be retiring as well, which further depletes depth.

Whether Jasper stays or goes, I think getting a young DT in the draft is a good idea, probably to be picked around Round 4 or 5 much like Lavalais was last year. I'm sure a quality guy is going to slip.

But I think we should also be trying to address it in free agency. There's no need to go out and spend a huge sum of $$$ on a veteran to start opposite Coleman, but a middle-level guy that at the very least should form a good complement with Coleman and keep the position warm for Lavalais is needed.

Tony Williams or Marques Douglas are quality starters that I'd like to see the team go after, but whomever will depend on how much money both are asking for. I suspect Williams would be the cheaper option.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: I agree no need to spend alot of money or high pick
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:14 pm 

Remember the espn article about def tackles most are found in the mid rounds that is what I expect in round 4 or 5 a def tackle to be taken.Also if a decent free agent is available without spending a ton in free agency get him.Jasper was a quality def tackle but I hope this time we can get a big def tackle that can stop the run that we the falcon def line won't get blown off the line against bigger off lines like kansas city or philly.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:43 pm 
Cap Guru
Cap Guru

I'm one of the ones that subscribe to Lavalais and Lake filling the void. I could see a mid-round pick being use and/or a vet role player as well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:01 am 

The problem is that the FA DT class really drops off after Corey Simon. Simon is the perfect guy for us (I still think he would have been our #1 pick in 2000 if we hadn't traded it away for Reggie Kelly), but he's going to be pretty expensive. I suspect his signing bonus will likely be around $12 million.

After Simon, the strength of the class is in run stoppers like Pat Williams, Chris Hovan, Seth Payne, and Jason Ferguson. It would not surprise me at all if all 4 of those players land as nose tackles on 3-4 teams in 2005. Hovan's play has slipped in recent years, Williams lacks the same kind of quickness he had a few years back at age 32. Payne and Ferguson are solid players but are mostly complementary run stoppers.

Tony Williams is the 2nd best pass rusher besides Simon in the class. But he's 30, and will be coming off injury (torn ACL on the infamous chop block by George Foster).

Luther Elliss is a quality pass rusher as well, but he too is old (32) and injuries have pretty much cost him his career in the past 2-3 years. Josh Evans is a solid pass rusher, but he is a off-field liability.

The rest of the pass rushers: Chatric Darby, Chris Cooper, all share similarities with Rod Coleman and are young, but right now a bit too undersized to be anything more than reliable #3 DTs.

becuase of the lack of quality in veteran DTs, it will likely push the price tags for a guy like Williams up to possibly over $5 million in signing bonus.

I like the possibility of adding a big DE to try and fill the void. Marques Douglas (6-2/290) won't return to Baltimore if they move to the 4-3, and he's a pretty good pass rusher. He's a better fit as a 3-4 DE, but often these guys make a pretty solid transition to 4-3 DT. Est. SB = $4-5 million for a guy that has 10 combined sacks in the past 2 years.

Brandon Mitchell (6-3/290), Carl Powell (6-2/285), and Chidi Ahanotu (6-2/285) all are possibilities as DE converts, but all are elder and on the downsides of their career. They would all be better as #3s than #2s.

A big time sleeper is Rodney Bailey (6-3/305). He shined in spot duty for the Steelers early in his career, but sat out this past year with injury. If he's 100%, he could be a really big find.

Also Kevin Carter and Bryant Young are possibilities to be cut this off-season, and despite their ages (31 and 33, respectively), both would be outstanding additions in the middle. I still think YOung is arguably still a top 10 DT in the league.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Desperation at def tackle
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:51 am 

Wow I didn't how weak the def tackle position was in free agency.I do not want the falcon's to overpay and there doesn't seem to be much alternative.I have looked at the college prospects and have come to the conclusion there is more depth at safety than def tackle meaning def tackle would have to be round 2 Mike Patterson USC....He is not the big run stuffer we were hoping unless you want to spend round 1 with a def tackle which I do not think it is that much of a need considering Patterson is quality.I think some teams will downgrade him because he isn't the big def tackle they need which is better for Atlanta.Safety is going to have to be made in round 3 with Donte Nicholson,Dustin Fox,Brimmer.I doubt if Shazor is around late 3rd round if he was would be a steal.I meant to put this draft stuff under another thread but it is my reasoning concerning def tackle.

What about Mike Patterson round 2? Would you guys like this or not? If not do you want to over pay in free agency for a nonstarter or older player? I sure don't I would rather get quality beside Coleman.Seeing Patterson play a few games he is always hustling and can wreck havoc reminds me alot of coleman.

Profile E-mail