It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Falcons 7-rounder
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:09 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Insomnia is a bitch. Here's 7-round mock that I think will be a good draft for the Falcons. It's still very early, but I think these are guys that you should keep your eyes on as the draft inches closer:

1. Alan Zemaitis, CB, Penn State

I think he is a great fit for this defense. He's a playmaker that has gone up against top competition over the past 2 years, has produced, been a leader on defense. Has size and speed, and actual cover skills. Plays the run well. Not the biggest, not the fastest, not the most athletic, but probably one of the most consistent in this year's class. I know many don't have him listed as a 1st rounder, but I think NFL teams will start to look more at production than potential for once in terms of CBs in this year's draft.

2. Greg Blue, S, Georgia

Plays the free safety spot, and as of right now he's probably the top senior prospect. But he'll probably be leap-frogged by a number of juniors. Big and physical is what we need. Definitely needs to improve vs. the pass, but right now we need a guy that can make hits on WRs across the middle (check!) and act as an extra LB vs. the run (check!). Blue fits the description, and his presence back there should allow Scott to do what he does best, which IMO is make plays vs. the pass.

3. Mark Setterstrom, OG, Minnesota

I like that he has experience in the zone-blocking scheme opening up holes for one of the top backs in the draft. Doesn't have great size, but has the quickness and strength to work well for us. Consistent and experienced with 49 career starts. I don't think you can find a better fit at LG for us.

4. Parys Haralson, DE, Tennessee

Pointed out before, he's quick and fast, productive, and has the right attitude to fit in well with our defense. He's small (currently listed at 6-2/250), but he'll probably be somewhere between 260-265 by April, so that doesn't really worry me. He'll need some time to develop, but I think he can be a solid early contributor to our rotation, particularly on passing downs as he develops into an every-down end.

5. Cedric Humes, RB, Virginia Tech

Has battled injuries at Tech, but has experience playing in a 2-headed backfield and has shined. Has good size and power coupled with "enough" speed to make it in the NFL. His stock will depend largely on his 40 time (if he runs a sub 4.55 he'll be good to go). I think he's the type of solid interior runner that brings power and some quickness that can take over for Duckett in 2007 and beyond. Not going to be a guy that can be a feature runner in the NFL, but is capable of being a 5-10 carry guy in this offense. After all, the Broncos are doing it, why can't we make "average" RBs into superstars?

6. Clinton Solomon, WR, Iowa

He has several things going for him in order to be a Falcons receiver. He has great size (6-3/195) and he blocks well downfield. Not to mention he has decent speed (about 4.5) and pretty good hands. He's more a Brian Finneran-type than a Roddy White, but I think he could fit in well and develop down the road as a replacement for Finneran in the #3 spot.

7. Rashad Butler, OT, Miami (FL)

A developmental pick here. A guy that has the size and athleticism to fit what we want in a right tackle. Has faced quality talent at Miami and although he's not a great prospect is a pretty solid one when you are looking for a guy that can develop for a year or two and then hopefully assume a starting position. Played both left and right tackle at MIami, but we'll be looking at him on the right side here.

I want to make a note that only a few of these guys I've actually seen play. I'm going more on what the "experts" say. But I'm hoping to see what they can do in their bowl games (with obvious exception to Haralson).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: I like the draft !
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:02 am 
I can't disagree with you much on your mock draftPudge.I would take a corner the first round.Tambia Hall is getting attention as def end but i wonder if he will be another Michael Haynes? Tall corners are hard to find.Just get me one that can play in your face and produce.The Bryan Scott pick a few yrs ago gets me nervous anytime a tall penn stater plays the position.I thik there will be a good safety in the second for the falcon's.Blue I am high on also.I like the fact guard is a priority and setterstrom could be a fixture for the line.Don't know much about Parys but if he can get to the QB get him.Didn't the one guy from tennessee a few yrs ago that always was injured have a lot of QB sacks also we drafted?Can't comment much about the rest since I have not done my research but every pick counts.Remember the days of reeve's when it seemed the draft was used to get special team players and 2nd stringers.What a change it is to have a good GM so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:57 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

I am not big on Zemaitis. The last time we took 2 corners from the same school early in the draft within a few years from each other, they both flopped. Scott is already showing signs of being a bust, so I would rather just stay away from Zem. I also don't like the undersized DE because we need someone who can play every down. I could be, and probably am, wrong; but those are my 2 biggest concerns with this draft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:23 am 

I ran through a quick 3-round mock the other day for the league, and here were the Falcons picks I had:

1. CB Tye Hill, Clemson
2. S Pat Watkins, Florida State
3. DE Parys Haralson, Tennessee

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:54 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Yeah that is more like it. I will put up my mock when the season is over.

Post subject: I could live with that!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:16 am 
I could live with the draft Pudge.Hill could be a shut down corner,Watkins has potential and Parys maybe we strike lighting in a bottle and he can get to the QB.