It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Falcons 2006 Mock...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:38 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

1) Ray Edwards, DE Purdue, 6'6" 270lbs., 4.71 40yd dash - the kind of big, physical pass rusher the Falcons are in dire need of. With his size & speed, he has the potential to become a Bruse Smith type of DE that can dominate.

2) Marcus Maxey, CB Miami, 6'2" 195lbs., 4.25 40yd dash - the perfect compliment for D.Hall. He would match up very well against the Reggie Wayne type of receiver you see a lot in the NFL.

3) Pat Watkins, S Florida State, 6'4&1/2" 204lbs., 4.47 40yd dash - the perfect bland of size & speed to be a big time centerfielder who can lay the wood. He would provide excellent over the top help against the Plaxico Burress'es of the NFL, and provides an imposing figure to anyone thinking of going over the middle. Has the ability to cover premier TE's in man coverage.

4) Troy Reddick, G Auburn, 6'5" 335lbs., no 40 time listed - Troy has made a few backs into all SEC performers along with the rest of the Auburn line. He has great size and is a local product, hailing from Albany, GA. Continually grades well & has multiple pancake blocks in most games that he's started, but falls in the draft due to being a Guard playing on the same team as a top 20 Tackle prospect.

5) Pat Massey, DT Michigan, 6'8" 285lbs, no 40 - With tremendous size & range, all that is lacking is girth & strength. He could be moved to DE or get bigger & stay in the middle, but he has the right attitude & his size is something you can't teach.

6) Ryan Cook, C New Mexico, 6'7 320lbs, no 40 - Again, another massive lineman to help fill out our undersized line. He could easily be a Guard with his size, should we sign a C in FA (*cough LeCharles Bentley cough*).

7) LeVonne Rowan, CB Wisconsin, 6'1" 191lbs., 4.41 40yd dash - good size & speed would make for an excellent nickel back or, possibly, threaten for Scott's starting job as time rolled on; but for the meantime he is an excellent special teams player with a good upside when he enters the NFL.

Post subject: Not sure about Edwards..
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:35 pm 
I read that Edwards has been benched by Purdue,not sure if that is right.If it is you can forget about him being a no1 pick.Watkins I have read could go in the bottom of the first round.The other players I will need to do some research.

My picks for the first 3 positions are:

1.Tye Hill - small but comparable to pacman jones but with more discipline
2.Greg Blue - with watkins,Michael Huff and landry drafting ahed of blue hopefully should be there in the second.Still has trouble with coverages but can hammer anyone coming at him.
3.best guard,tackle,def end,def tackle left on board

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:55 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Watkins has been relegated to Nickel back for the Seminoles from what i saw today. I did like what I saw out of Moses & Minter for UGA tonight, so I might try to get them in the 2nd & 3rd rounds. Personally I am tired of seeing the local college studs go to other teams every year. We had a chance at both Champ Bailey & Hines Ward and missed out on both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:53 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Edwards seems like a great prospect, but sounds a bit too raw for my tastes. He was in fact benched by the Boilermakers this past year. He still managed 5.5 tackles, and INT, and 11 tackles for loss off the bench, but I have also heard reports of poor attitude which was a major contribution to his benching. A lack of coachability so to speak. That makes him a long shot as a Falcon pass rusher.

Edwards is a guy that I think his draft status is going to be determined solely by how well he works out. And I can't stand that in a player. A guy that has questionable ability, production, attitude, and work ethic, but since he's a great athlete as he can bench 225 pounds 29 times or run a 4.58 40, he's all of a sudden a 1st round pick.

It seems awfully suspicious about Edwards and SS Bernard Pollard, two Purdue juniors that are "jumping ship" after a disappointing Boilermaker year. It would seem if these guys were really good "character guys" they would want to stick around for their senior years and try to make things right? Sounds too much like Dimitrius Underwood to me.

If we're going to take a pass rusher from a disappointing college team, I would much rather it by Tennessee's Parys Haralson. Because of his size (6-2/250), he'll likely fall to Round 3 or 4, and a lot of teams will see him as a OLB rather than a DE. But he's reportedly a standout locker room guy, is athletic and fast which fits well into our defense, and has the production to back it up on the field.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:16 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Yeah I'm going to have to rework my mock as a lot of this does not look good right now, and a couple of other guys have jumped up their value in my book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:30 am 
The_Incomparable wrote:
Watkins has been relegated to Nickel back for the Seminoles from what i saw today. I did like what I saw out of Moses & Minter for UGA tonight, so I might try to get them in the 2nd & 3rd rounds. Personally I am tired of seeing the local college studs go to other teams every year. We had a chance at both Champ Bailey & Hines Ward and missed out on both.

Well, obviously you missed something, Watkins does play many positions, he's constantly on the field. Special Teams, Defense, all the time. I can't wait to see what happens with him, but he won't be there for us in the 3rd. We'll have to take him in the second, we'd be lucky to get him there.

Post subject: too lazy to login
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:05 am 
Welcome to 2 months ago Oxy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:38 pm 

As it stands right now I do think the Falcons will draft a safety with the first or second round picks. The question is which way do they go?

Trade up for Huff
Hold and draft a DE/CB in the first and draft Greg Blue in the second
Hold or trade down and draft Greg Blue too early

I do like Greg Blue a lot and the fact that he's from Georgia probably adds to his draft potential with the Falcons (McKay or no). He can bring the lumber and I mean bring it. But Blue's coverage skills are to put it lightly: lacking. But when you have a 40% chance of knocking the ball loose on impact for the tackle does it matter? More important is that the guy is a tackling machine and that is something the Falcons have not been able to do recently. He could also solve the problems in our run defense at the second level as well.

If the Falcons end up with Huff or Williams in the first I'll be happy. If we end up with Williams in the first and get Blue in the second I'd be satisfied with those picks. Of course the Falcons have been reportedly making a stink about Huff and some think that is a smoke screen to their true desire Williams. To trade up high enough to get Huff I think we are looking at a 2nd rounder or Duckett and a 4th mininmum.

I'm not the draft guy but that is my opinion. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:44 am 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Yes it does matter. As one of the local UGA alums I am going to lay it out for the rest of you who didn't watch every game Blue ever played, and for those who did but are delusional about his value, but the fact is the guy is a WLB in the NFL. The most important thing a Safety does in the NFL is provide deep coverage to help prevent the big play. After that it is run support, pass rushing, and intimidation. To not have the key ingredient to play Safety in the NFL really makes Blue either A) a risky project at Safety - not everyone CAN learn to cover, or B) an ideal LB prospect with his good size/speed combo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:54 pm 

Question I pose to you Comp is did you believe Thomas Davis could make the transition to safety, or did you think he was a linebacker? And haven't you also posed the idea of moving Demo to FS? So, really does it make a lot of difference if Blue's natural position is OLB?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:15 pm 
All-Pro
All-Pro

Pudge wrote:
Question I pose to you Comp is did you believe Thomas Davis could make the transition to safety, or did you think he was a linebacker? And haven't you also posed the idea of moving Demo to FS? So, really does it make a lot of difference if Blue's natural position is OLB?

DeMo is much better in zone coverage underneath than Blue ever has been, and he matches up pretty well in man coverage against most TE's, RB's, and some WR's. Thomas Davis could play Safety in this league, but the Panthers need another OLB more than another starting Safety. Blue is terrible in coverage and cannot play Safety in the NFL.