Kroy?

All things related to the Atlanta Falcons, NFL and pro football related.
Pudge
Site Admin

Kroy?

Postby Pudge » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:22 am

Do you think this is a 1-week aberration for Kroy, or do you think he'll be better under Quinn moving forward?

Hates gone hate.

RobertAP

Re: Kroy?

Postby RobertAP » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:43 pm

This goes back to what I said time and time again, and no one wanted to hear it... Players playing under Mike Smith showed positive progress in years 1 and 2. After that, the vast majority of the players under Smith regressed. I said that Smith didn't develop talent. Everyone who saw Kroy play thought that he was ready to break out, but it just never happened. Perhaps it was Smith's system. Perhaps it was the lack of intensity from the coach on down. Perhaps it was the lack of physicality, or steadfastedness, or whatever the hell word you can make up instead of saying, "toughness."

I had written Kroy off. I'm quite surprised that he has re-emerged under Quinn. Then again, it seems that our entire defense has showed new signs of life under Quinn. Is it possible that with Quinn, Kroy will finally turn that corner? It certainly seems plausible.

Pudge
Site Admin

Re: Kroy?

Postby Pudge » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:53 pm

Corey Peters didn't regress. Matt Ryan didn't regress. Julio Jones didn't regress. The list goes on and on.

Sure, you can say some players, but saying the "vast majority" of players regressed over time simply isn't true. Most players hit their peaks in Years 2 or 3 (as is the case with most NFL players) and then hovered at that level for the remainder of their career. Unless you're of the belief that players are supposed to follow a continuous trend upwards as their careers progress.

And you say Mike Smith didn't develop talent, and I always counter with "What talent?!"

Being unable to develop 7th round/undrafted level "talent" is not a deficiency in the NFL, it's the norm. The Falcons routinely would reach on late-round talent in the middle rounds of the draft because of their foolish belief that they could be developed into more than what they were, which is backup-caliber NFL players. Examples include pretty much every 3rd round pick we ever had, Kerry Meier, Charles Mitchell, Bradie Ewing, Prince Shembo, etc.

The problem I keep countering with is that many in our fan base hyped up certain mediocre players into thinking they were going to be these difference-makers when they were just average NFL prospects. I'm looking at you Lawrence Sidbury, Peria Jerry, Jamaal Anderson, Curtis Lofton, Corey Peters, Jonathan Massaquoi, etc. And when they just became average guys, the excuse became, "Well Mike Smith just didn't develop those guys."

I applaud Kroy for a solid performance, but before anybody calls this a "re-emergence" go back and watch his performances last year against the Bucs in Week 10, Packers in Week 14, and Saints in Week 16. He was probably the best defender we had on the field (or at least in the Top 2-3) in each of those games last year, but because people had so maligned him last year, few ever really acknowledged it. DQ didn't fix squat with him. Unless he strings together 12 more games like this... :roll:

Kroy showed steady improvement during his time with Mike Smith, but it just didn't happen in the arena that everybody had hoped it would after the 2009 season: as a pass-rusher. Kroy peaked as a pass-rusher then, and then just settled into being a complementary guy, because guess what? He's an undersized guy that lacks top-level burst, strength, power, or athleticism.

But Kroy did get steadily better as a run defender after 2010. But of course that is mostly dismissed by most fans because most fans think a DE's sole value is how many sacks he gets and can't appreciate that great pass-rushers are born, not made.

Return to “The Huddle”