All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Willie Tuitama, QB, Arizona
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:14 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Willie Tuitama
6-2/234 Arizona
5.01 Senior

Pros: Has good size and a nice strong arm that can fit tight windows. Works mostly out of the shotgun, but does show some potential as a drop back guy. Does his best work on the short, quick throws. Utilizes the pump fake, and has nice potential and touch on his deep throws.

Cons: Really needs to improve his mechanics and footwork. Throws off his back foot too much and his passes tend to sail on him. Needs to improve his accuracy and touch, which can be inconsistent at times. Needs to work better in the pocket, as he lacks mobility and won't really extend the play. Will key on pass rush at times. Forces some throws, overly relying on arm strength.

Overview: He reminds me of Donovan McNabb, but with Peyton Manning's mobility. Not exactly a great recipe for success, but possible somebody could make it work. Was 19-19 as a starter with 61.6% completions and 67:31 TD-INT ratio. Struggled as a sophomore with concussions and has some issues with DUIs. Related to Brandon Manumaleuna and Junior Seau.

NFL Forecast: He'll flash potential as a starter, but I think more than likely he'll just be a backup. He'll need time to develop, but it's hard to really see him becoming a starter down the road. If he plays in an offense that uses a lot of shotgun, I think his chances are a bit higher. If he becomes a starter down the road, it wouldn't surprise me. He's kind of like that David Garrard-type, who sits for a number of years and then outshines the high profile prospect. But at the same time, he isn't anything special himself as the starter, just better than the alternative. But at the same time, he's not nearly as talented as Garrard was coming out of school. And outside his arm strength, there really isn't anything that makes you really like him. He generally makes good decisions, but isn't what I'd call a "cerebral" quarterback.

ATL Forecast: He'd be a nice option to develop in Atlanta as a No. 3 for a number of years, but he doesn't really fit that well in the Falcons current offense. So his ability to stick will rely heavily on him being more mobile and improving his mechanics and footwork as a drop back passer. And right now, it doesn't look like a good bet that he would do that. But he flashes the level of "game management" skills that could make him a capable backup at the next level.

Value: He is worth a seventh round pick for a team looking for a long- term No. 3 to develop.

Profile E-mail