All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tyler Lorenzen, QB, Connecticut
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:13 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Tyler Lorenzen
6-5/227 Connecticut
4.62 Senior

Pros: Has a good arm that has a nice work ethic. Is a good runner and comfortable out in space. Is tough and won't shy away from contact.

Cons: Has a funky release and throwing motion that is like a short-armed overhand baseball pitch. His accuracy and zip are inconsistent and he can't always throw a tight spiral because of it. His release can be elongated and is not capable of throwing downfield despite arm strength. Forces too many passes and makes poor decisions. Lacks touch, footwork in

Overview: A southpaw. Really the only things to like about Lorenzen is his toughness and mobility. Everything else screams that he can't cut it in the NFL as a quarterback. The type of player that will have to move to another position to play in the NFL. A former JUCO player that was 17-5 as a starter, completed 54% of his passes, and had a 16:14 TD-INT ratio at UConn. His senior year, he broke his foot and missed half the year.

NFL Forecast: I'd say he has a chance of playing QB in the CFL, but not in the NFL. In the NFL, he'll have to move to another position. I've heard people talk about safety or tight end. I think I'd give him a better chance at the latter. I can't think of a capable NFL safety that has moved from quarterback. Teams do it a lot, but I've never seen it work. Better off trying to bulk him up and make him an H-back or a possession wideout. Probably lacks the speed to be a wideout. I don't see him sticking unless he manages to be a top special teams player. He's not going to be another Eric Crouch and pout about the position change though, so at least he has that going for him. He'll work hard, it just remains to be seen if he can make the transition with minimal development.

ATL Forecast: He's a pure project player, and unless the Falcons think he'd be the next Brian Finneran at wide receiver or Brian Kozlowski at tight end with only a little bit of development, they should probably pass on him.

Value: Don't draft him, he's too much of a project. But worth an invite to camp to see what he can do at another position.

Profile E-mail