Post subject: Mark Sanchez, QB, Southern California
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:24 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

Mark Sanchez
6-2/227
Southern California
4.88 Junior

Pros: Accurate quarterback that shows nice intangibles. Shows good competitiveness, leadership, and passion. Has good timing and anticipation. Has a nice arm and can throw the deep ball. Has a quick release. Has a natural feel for the pocket, knowing how to slide and move to find throwing lanes. Has good footwork and manages the pocket very well. Has good mobility and can make plays with his legs. Does a good job on bootlegs and extending plays with his legs. Throws well on the run. Uses pump fake well. Shows nice toughness and not afraid of contact when scrambling. Does a nice job going through his progressions.

Cons: Doesn't have a great arm and struggles at times with his zip when throwing to the sideline. Tends to play short, and has a low trajectory so many passes get batted down. Has trouble seeing downfield, which leads to him scrambling a lot to find throwing lanes. Can be impatient at times and too quick to tuck and run. But mostly holds onto the ball too long which leads to unnecessary sacks because he doesn't know when to give up on a play. Lack of experience hurts him at times in decision making, and he'll force some passes and making some "rookie" mistakes. Needs to be quicker going through his progressions.

Overview: Sanchez is a solid pro-style quarterback that lacks experience, but has shown a lot in that limited experience. Reminds me a lot of Matt Ryan, and probably needed another year in school, but I don't think he needed as much as the other juniors. Like Ryan, he doesn't have a big arm, but grades very highly in the intangibles departments, and his decision making, mobility, and management skills are nearly identical to Ryan. As a starter, completed 64.5% had a 40:14 TD-INT ratio, and a 14-2 record.

NFL Forecast: If there is one rookie prospect in this draft that is NFL ready, it's definitely Sanchez. Although he's not really NFL ready, and
needs another year on the bench where he can be coached up some more. But I don't think it would be an issue if he started playing in the second half of his rookie year, or become the starter by Year 2. The pressure of being an NFL starter won't really get to him. He thrives in those types of situations a lot like Ryan. Sanchez would be perfect in a West Coast offense (which was the same for Ryan a year ago), but also would thrive in almost any offense because of his intelligence. When I watch him play, I see the exact same things I saw in Ryan a year ago, and had he stayed another year I think those things would have been apparent to everyone next year. But as of now, it's more projecting since there isn't a great body of work from which to judge. Sanchez has the potential to be a top NFL quarterback and is what you look for in a franchise QB.

ATL Forecast: Because of the similarities between him and Ryan, Sanchez of course projects well here in Atlanta. There's almost no chance he becomes a Falcon, but if there was any player that in this draft that the Falcons wanted to develop as a backup for a few years and then swing a trade down the road, Sanchez would be the ideal candidate. It would probably only take him a month or so into the season before he was ready to surpass Redman as the No. 2 guy.

Value: Sanchez is the guy a team wants to take with its top pick. He's a franchise QB, and while he's still a little bit green, he'll eventually develop into that type of player if the team exercises some patience. He's definitely worth the No. 1 overall pick.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

ARM STRENGTH: 4.0
ACCURACY: 4.0
MOBILITY: 4.0
DECISION MAKING: 4.0
MECHANICS: 3.5
POCKET AWARENESS: 4.5
INTANGIBLES: 4.0

Profile E-mail