All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hunter Lawrence, K, Texas
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:50 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

HUNTER LAWRENCE
5-11/184
Texas Senior

PROS: Has a strong leg with the range to kick from beyond 50 yards. Is accurate and shows ability to make the big kick in clutch situations.
CONS: Not used as a kickoff much.
OVERVIEW: Lawrence has the accuracy and leg to make it in the pros. In his two years as their kicker, he made 32 of 37 kicks (86.5%), including 14 of 17 from beyond 40 yards (82.4%). He never made a kick from beyond 50 yards during his career, but certainly showed the leg strength to do so. He was primarily the kickoff guy his first two seasons where his production was OK.
NFL FORECAST: Lawrence should be able to come in right away and compete for an NFL job. His collegiate production is such that you would think he could handle the duties as a rookie fairly well. And while he was accurate from beyond 40 yards, I do wonder how his production would have changed had he not played in such a prolific offense such as Texas's. So I'm not convinced he would do well as a rookie kicker, but I do believe he's competent enough to do a decent job. So I think he could probably hit at least 75% of his kicks. But I do believe that at worst, he gets a year under his belt to work out some kicks, he should start to show his trademark accuracy and consistency in his second and third years. As a kickoff guy, he is good enough to do it on the next level, but I'm not sure he would be the ideal option. So he fits best for teams that don't need their kicker to hold that role, but if teams don't have a kickoff guy, he can hold the job at least as a stopgap.
ATL FORECAST: Lawrence could push Bryant for the job. I don't think he'd win in a fair battle, but I do think he could give him a run for his money. And since he wouldn't have to kick off in Atlanta, the Falcons shouldn't have major issue if he did win the job. Kicking indoors would certianly help his accuracy, and by his third or fourth season, I would not be surprised if he's considered one of the more accurate kickers in the league. But as a rookie, I don't think he'd be stellar, but just competent.
VALUE: A team looking for an accurate punter with a strong leg wouldn't be wrong to take him in the seventh round.

Profile E-mail