All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brad Phillips, SS, Northwestern
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:41 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

BRAD PHILLIPS
6-2/214
Northwestern Senior

PROS: Shows nice ability in run support, able to come up and make the hit at the point of attack.
CONS: Doesn't always wrap up and doesn't always break down, causing him to miss stops in the open field. Doesn't take great angles to the ball and can get caught out of position. Will get stuck in traffic when defending the run at times. Struggles matching up in man coverage even against tight ends because of lacking hips and burst.
OVERVIEW: He's a run-defending safety that is limited in coverage and nothing special in run support. Stands out only because he can hit. He made plays while at Northwestern. Led team with 109 tackles as a junior, adding 86 as a senior. For his career, finished with 12.5 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks, 8 forced fumbles, and 5 interceptions.
NFL FORECAST: He seems destined to be a guy that plays on special teams, but will be severely limited on regular defense. If he can stick on special teams for a couple of years, might develop enough intelligence and improved awareness that he could get by as a stopgap defender on defense. But I would guess if he was put into a game even on a limited basis, he would be exposed as a liability in coverage. I think he can stick on an NFL roster because of his potential to be an impact specail teams player.
ATL FORECAST: If he brings his same physical disposition to special teams, he could make the Falcons roster as a backup strong safety as a rookie. But he has limited potential to develop down the road as an impact defender on regular defense. The Falcons would need to make sure that the other backup safety is capable of filling in at both starting positions, because I don't think they would want an injury to occur to Moore and be forced to play Phillips anytime soon.
VALUE: Because I believe he can contribute immediately as a special teams player, he is worth a draft pick, but only a seventh rounder.

Profile E-mail