Post subject: Kam Chancellor, FS, Virginia Tech
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:43 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

KAM CHANCELLOR
6-3/231
Virginia Tech Senior
40: 4.62

PROS: Has good size with good speed and range. Moves well in space. Quick to come up and defend the run and fairly natural working in the box. Has good closing burst on the ball which makes him a formidable hitter. Does a nice job wrapping up and can make stops in the open field. Can be an enforcer over the middle. Does best work when he can keep things in front on him on shorter zones, with the burst and ability to read quarterback and make a play on the ball. Shows some ability as a press corner.
CONS: Not always a heady defender. Struggles in coverage, especially when he lines up against slot receiver because of poor hips and burst. Gives too much contact when working in man coverage and will be susceptible to flags. Overpursues at times and takes some poor angles to the ball. Doesn't always break down as a tackler and will miss some stops in the open field on occasion.
OVERVIEW: A three-year starter that played both safety spots and cornerback during his Tech career, after starting out as a quarterback before his freshman year. He played free safety this past year, but is probably a better fit at strong safety on the next level. Chancellor is one of those players that usually was up and down during his career, showing ball skills and range in some games, and then in others looking lost. Appeared more consistent as a senior. Combined for 6 career picks and 19 passes defended.
NFL FORECAST: Chancellor is not the smart, consistent cover guy you want quarterbacking your defense. He needs work in coverage, but I think with his size and athleticism has the ability to match up with tight ends as a strong safety. But he's best working in the box. He could convert to linebacker, but he'd be a work in progress there as he hasn't shown the ability to shed blockers when he's working in the box. So he's probably a few years from being a competent starter there, and he'll have to play in a scheme that allows him to play in space and chase the ball. But I think if he can be coached up and made into a more consistent option, he'll be a better safety even with his coverage limitations. I don't think he'll ever be a great coverage guy, but if he plays with a smart free safety, then I think he can be an above average to good strong safety that will make his money playing the run. It's not from a lack of ability, but it's more discipline that limits him. And while he'll never be great in man coverage, his range, size, and speed can allow him to develop into a capable zone defender.
ATL FORECAST: Chancellor is a similar player to William Moore and thus there really isn't a lot of room for two of those types of players on the roster. He's not as disciplined as Moore is so it's doubtful he would surpass him. And as a linebacker, he would be a decent reserve in the Falcons 4-3 scheme, but doesn't have the coverage potential or size potential to really like his chances playing in the box on a full-time basis. Basically, whether it's at linebacker or safety he would just be a backup in Atlanta.
VALUE: For a team looking for a big, rangy strong safety and has some patience to develop him, he would make a nice late second round pick. But he's a safer pick in the third round.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

SPEED: 4.0
TACKLING: 4.0
COVERAGE: 2.5
BALL SKILLS: 3.0
RANGE: 4.0

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Kam Chancellor, FS, Virginia Tech
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:20 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Pros: Impressive size for a safety. He has good speed and burst to close, especially for a man his size. He has good pop as a hitter and has shown he can be an intimidator over the middle or along the sideline when he tracks the ball and closes on a receiver. Shows the ability to read plays well when dropped into zone coverage and to react to close on the ball or the receiver. Has flashed some ball skills and pretty good range in coverage during his career at VT. He supports the run well and fills the hole well when coming down from his safety spot. He is a good tackler and has shown the ability to wrap up quicker and smaller ballcarriers in the open field. He is a fiery player and seems to try to pump his teammates up.

Cons: He has some pretty serious issues in coverage, both man and zone. When matched up in man he is pretty obviously overmatched. He doesn’t have very fluid hips and bites hard on double moves and doesn’t have the speed to recover when beaten. That is probably why he regularly played centerfield for VT so that he would be over the top to help. When matched up with TE’s or receivers he will regularly give up receptions underneath. When in zone he is better, but he still struggles in coverage. He is inconsistent at reading and reacting to plays. Sometimes he will do it well and make a nice play on the ball or hit a receiver as he is trying to catch a pass, and other times he will be out of position and a receiver will come open in his zone or beat him vertically and he won’t be able to recover. He also will take bad angles to the ball when in run support when the run is away from him and it can lead to big gains. He also overpursues at times and will miss tackles by attempting them when he is out of control. He also has some issues shedding blocks from TE’s and offensive lineman which makes a transition to linebacker unlikely.

Overall: Chancellor isn’t a bad strong safety prospect. He won’t be an elite one since he is not very reliable in coverage, but a good coach might be able to straighten out some of his coverage assignments and help him avoid getting beaten so badly on a regular basis. He will never be very good in man coverage in my opinion as he just doesn’t have good hips or good recovery speed despite his good burst to close. However as an in the box safety he could have a good NFL career, though it seems to me players like him are becoming more rare in NFL starting lineups. NFL teams aren’t looking for enforcers at safety as much anymore, they are looking for great cover men who can make plays on the ball, and that is not Chancellor’s best asset. He is better at supporting the run, making tackles in the open field when he takes appropriate angles and at closing on receivers running underneath him or along the sideline and hitting them. He reminds me a little bit of Roy Williams but without the reputation of playing dirty. He struggles in coverage, especially man, but is a good hitter and supports the run well. However Roy Williams is struggling to find a starting job in the NFL, but I think Chancellor is better in coverage than Roy Williams is or was. My point is, enforcers at the safety position seem to becoming more and more rare, and that hurts Chancellor’s value as a prospect.

Projection: I think he will end up being a mid 3rd round selection, but he could slide into the 4th since safeties do tend to slide a bit on draft day.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

SPEED: 3.5
TACKLING: 4.0
COVERAGE: 2.5
BALL SKILLS: 3.0
RANGE: 4.0

http://tommeltonscouting.wordpress.com/

And check out the NFL Draft site I write for!

http://nfldraftmonsters.com/

Profile E-mail