It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Patrick Robinson, CB, Florida State
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:50 am 
Playmaker
Playmaker

Pros: Pretty good size, impressive athleticism, speed and closing burst to make a play on the ball. He has a knack for getting pass deflections, and I think he has reasonably good hands. He does a good job of locating the ball and making sure he can make a play on it. Has a good backpedal, has good hips to turn and run with the receiver. That combined with good recognition skills and his ability to read and react makes him a potent corner when he is on his game. Flashes the ability to support the run and also sometimes demonstrates the ability to break down in space and make a good tackle. Has some experience as a return man, and is good at picking up yards after making an interception.

Cons: I think Robinson’s biggest issue is inconsistency. At first I thought it was a lack of instincts, but it’s pretty clear to me that he has good instincts based on his play late in the season. There were plays where within one-two seconds of the snap he was already reacting correctly to the play and gearing up to make a stop. However he has a relative lack of starting experience but he seemed to improve as the season went on. He does not strike me as a good tackler, and as of now has not quite put it all together as a cover corner. I would like to see him get more aggressive when jamming at the line, when supporting the run and also when attempting to shed blocks, particularly against WR’s.

Overall: I think Robinson has pretty evident #1 corner type potential. He has pretty good size (depending on his official measurements), impressive athletic ability, good instincts, plays the ball well, is good in man coverage because of his good hips and speed, plays well in zone because of his good recognition skills, his ability to read the QB’s eyes and then use his good burst to close on the ball and make a play on it. The trick with evaluating his potential is determining if he will continue to improve with experience and continue to play well more consistently or if he will continue to be relatively inconsistent and on some days look like a #1 corner and on others give up plays underneath, take bad angles, miss tackles and occasionally draw a flag downfield. Personally I think he started off playing very inconsistently, but in the two games I watched of him later in the year he looked much better as if he had grown significantly since the last time I had seen him. I think with good coaching and perhaps a veteran mentor in the NFL to help keep him focused (he was one of the players suspended during the FSU academic scandal) then I think he could develop into a starter by his second season and after that a #1 corner with good playmaking ability.

Projection: 2nd round: Robinson is not yet the entire sum of his parts. I think with some coaching and a bit of development he could start to combine his athleticism, instincts and ball skills to become a quality corner. I think his floor is a nickel corner but his ceiling is a quality #1 corner. He needs to improve some of his fundamentals to become a more consistent player, but if he can do that he could turn out to be one of the better 2nd round picks in the draft if this is indeed where he ends up.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

SPEED: 4.0
MAN COVERAGE: 4.0
ZONE COVERAGE: 4.0
TACKLING: 2.5
BALL SKILLS: 4.0

http://tommeltonscouting.wordpress.com/

And check out the NFL Draft site I write for!

http://nfldraftmonsters.com/

Last edited by Mr. Offseason on Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Patrick Robinson, CB, Florida State
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:12 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Patrick Robinson - CB - Florida State
Height: 5'11
Weight: 194
40 Time: 4.40
Projected: 1st-2nd

Positives

- Prototypical size and speed for #1 CB
- 3 Year starter at FSU known for producing great CB's
- Very athletic
- May run a sub 4.4
- Great technique and footwork
- Smooth backpedal and transition to turn and run
- Quick and agile to stay with his man
- Has great instincts
- Great burst to the football once he recognizes the route
- Gets physical with WR's
- Good in run support
- Solid tackling technique in the open field
- Good ball skills, times his jumps well to make a play on the football
- Can play both man and zone with success
- A lot of potential, can develop into a shutdown CB in the NFL

Negatives

- Inconsistent at times
- Needs to put all of his skills together
- Doesn't get off WR blocks well
- May have off the field issues mostly in the past
- Involved in academic scandal

Overview

There isn't a doubt in my mind that Patrick Robinson can develop into a #1 shutdown CB in the NFL. To me has the potential to become a Top 10 CB in the NFL. He started off pretty rough this year and was giving up some catches. Many people we're quick to label him with character concerns and overrated. This is not the case. He improved as the season progressed and was playing at an extremely high level by the end of the year. The reasoning behind it was that he wasn't very experienced. In the NFL with proper coaching, he will play at a high level at all times. As of now he is my 2nd or 3rd pick for the Falcons 1st round pick behind only Brandon Graham and possibly Sean Weatherspoon.

SKILLS

SPEED: 4.5
MAN COVERAGE: 4.5
ZONE COVERAGE: 4.5
TACKLING: 3.5

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Patrick Robinson, CB, Florida State
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:54 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

PATRICK ROBINSON
5-11/192
Florida State Senior
40: 4.46

PROS: He has nice ball skills and using it well to match up with size, timing his jumps well to bat away passes. Makes it hard to beat him on fade routes. Shows good burst on the ball, able to sit on routes, or undercut crossing routes to break up pass. Has good hips and is able to turn and run with receivers. Hard to beat deep and shows good potential to play in press coverage. Wraps up in run support and not afraid to come up and deliver the hit. Shows good burst to the ball, able to shoot past blockers and make the stop.
CONS: Doesn't play with great discipline or consistency. Needs to take better angles in zone coverage and will miss stops in the open field because he'll give up too much cushion as well. Can be a bit tentative vs. the run, especially when asked to make tackles downfield. Can be a step late reacting to the throw, showing less than ideal instincts. Needs to do a better job getting the jam in press coverage.
OVERVIEW: He has loads of potential and all the physical skills you're looking for in a top corner. Teams tended to respect him a lot and stayed away from him quite a bit his last two seasons. He only had 1 interception but 15 pass breakups in 20 games. His best season was as a sophomore, where he only started 5 games but managed 6 picks.
NFL FORECAST: There is a bit of a buyer's beware with Robinson, mainly because he's a guy that doesn't always play up to his athletic potential. You can somewhat compare him to Chris Houston because of that, but I think DeAngelo Hall is a better comparision. I think like Hall, his physical skills and athletic ability will make him into a fairly solid NFL corner, but he won't live up to his full potential and become an elite corner because of his undisciplined play and he makes too many mental errors. However, the chances of him succeeding at a high level on the next level dramatically increase if he plays beside a solid veteran and is well-coached. If he was to learn from a player like Champ Bailey or the like early on his career, I would be much more confident he would be able to pick up on a lot of things that would make him solid. He'll create headaches from time to time, but he has the ability to be a No. 1 corner on par with a Hall or Terrence Newman.
ATL FORECAST: Patrick Robinson could fit well here in Atlanta opposite Dunta Robinson. While it's not the ideal situation for him to come into and be a great NFL corner, he at least has a lot more potential to be a No. 1 corner than anybody else on the roster besides the other Robinson. He would be an upgrade at the No. 2 cornerback position and would likely be in a position where he could be a decent starter as a rookie because his size and athletic potential exceed that which Owens and Grimes have. The pair of Robinsons would be a solid, but not spectacular duo, on par with what Dallas has in Newman and Mike Jenkins. They won't be the best pair of corners around, but certainly are in the Top 10 if not Top 5.
VALUE: Robinson's potential makes him a solid late first round prospect. But if you take him before the twenties, you're probably reaching because of his inconsistency.

SKILLS

SPEED: 4.0
MAN COVERAGE: 4.0
ZONE COVERAGE: 3.5
TACKLING: 3.5

Profile E-mail