40 Time: 4.47
Projected: 3rd-5th

Positives

- Has decent size
- Has the speed to stick with most WR's on deep routes
- Very experienced
- Willing in run support
- Sheds block off WR's easily
- Has great hands for a CB (8 career INT)
- Very instinctive and can read routes allowing him to stick with his man down the field
- Shows the ability to completely shutdown his side of the field
- Delivers some good hits for a CB
- Great in man coverage
- Can return kicks

Negatives

- Isn't very physical
- Sometimes plays to soft on the WR and allows for quick completions
- Not a very good tackler, will fly to the ball carrier but doesn't break down and misses the tackle
- Better in man coverage then in zone. Doesn't play a lot of zone coverage
- Will sometimes bite on double moves

Overview

Sherrick McManis has been flying under the radar this year, probably because he plays at Northwestern. People that know McManis know that he is a very talented CB capable of becoming a shutdown CB at the next level. He is very under the radar despite earning First Team All Big Ten CB. He played hurt at the Shrine Game and was forced to leave practice with a hamstring injury.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

SPEED: 4.0
MAN COVERAGE: 3.5
ZONE COVERAGE: 3.0
TACKLING: 2.5
BALL SKILLS: 4.5

Last edited by OGDraft on Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Sherrick McManis, CB, Northwestern
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:48 pm 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

SHERRICK McMANIS
5-11/189
Northwestern Senior

PROS: He has nice size and does a good job keeping things in front of him. Has potential in press coverage and can jam receiver at the line. Is really good in run support, with closing burst on the ball and can make the stop in the open field. Shows nice hips and footwork.
CONS: Lacks makeup speed. Doesn't have great burst out of his breaks. And he'll have some problems turning and running with receivers to defend the deep ball.
OVERVIEW: Where he really pops out to you on tape is his ability in run support.
NFL FORECAST: McManis is one of those players that you don't think will be a great cover guy in the pros, but then a few years down the road surprises you. I think that because if he commits to get better in coverage as much as he commits to playing the run, then he's a guy that is definitely going to get better in the future. Unlike many other corners who actually regress when they get to the NFL. He's capable in coverage, but I think because of his lack of burst, he'll have his struggles in man coverage. But I think he can be a good nickel corner for some team. But the reason why I go ga-ga when I see a good run support corner is that tackling is a lost art, especially for cornerbacks. And when you see a guy that gets it in run support, it implies a level of commitment and an eye for detail that you expect to see not just in that area but in all areas of his game. So while McManis is limited as a corner today, if that's true about his commitment, then he could be in a very different place after a few years in the pros. And even if I'm wrong about him, then I think you can still salvage his career as a safety if you bulk him up. And also he should definitely be a fixture on special teams. So McManis is one of those players that can find a role with almost any team. I don't expect him to be a great NFL player, but I do expect him to carve some sort of valuable niche with a team, whether that's as a starting corner or safety, key reserve, or special teams ace.
ATL FORECAST: McManis is another body to add to the mix. On the surface, he doesn't appear to improve the secondary a whole lot besides adding depth. But as I explained above, he appears to be a hard worker. So I would compare him to a Brent Grimes, but bigger and tougher. And if Grimes worked himself from an undrafted free agent to a decent starter at times, then McManis with his mid-round talent could potentially be a good starter with the Falcons. I wouldn't put those expectations on him, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him as a solid No. 2 corner three years from now with the Falcons. I think a more conservative estimation would be that he carves out a niche as a reserve that contributes on special teams, then in the future could challenge for the nickel spot.
VALUE: McManis doesn't have a great deal of athletic tools, so I'd probably take him in the fourth or fifth round, and hope that he can develop as a potential steal. But I don't think he'd be a reach in the third round if a team fell in love with his "intangibles."

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

SPEED: 3.0
MAN COVERAGE: 3.0
ZONE COVERAGE: 3.0
TACKLING: 4.0
BALL SKILLS: 3.0

Profile E-mail