Post subject: Koa Misi, OLB, Utah
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:09 am 
Purveyor of Truth & Justice
Purveyor of Truth & Justice

KOA MISI
6-3/246
Utah Senior
40: 4.75

PROS: Has a good first step off the edge and the speed and burst to challenge the corner as a pass rusher. Has good closing burst on the ball and can make plays in pursuit. Moves wel in space. Does a nice job breaking down to make the stop on the edge or at the point of attack, showing good recognition when defending the run. Has an excellent motor and scrappy defender. Flashes decent hand use when trying to get off or shed blocks to make plays. Does a nice job rushing with his hand off the ground.
CONS: Has trouble at times disengaging from blocker as an edge rusher, lacks many pass rush moves and tends to rely on his edge speed. Will get engulfed at times at the point of attack when defending the run.
OVERVIEW: A former JUCO player that was a three-year starter at Utah. Had his most productive year as a senior with 71 tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss, 5 sacks, all career highs. Played mostly end in their scheme, which is a bit of a hybrid end-linebacker, but also did play inside more at defensive tackle earlier in his career.
NFL FORECAST: Misi is a good pass rusher that has good burst and quickness upfield. He's not going to be a guy that has great production there at the next level, but can be a guy that in the right scheme can give you 4-6 sacks on an annual basis. He fits best as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme, but I also think has the ability to play outside in a 4-3. He can play the SAM lienbacker spot in that scheme, and also contribute as a down linemen and situational pass rusher at times. He's not quite polished in coverage, but possesses the athletic tools and quickness that I think he can develop nicely there. But he's a guy that coaches will love because of his high motor and toughness. He's not the biggest or the fastest, but I think you give him a year to develop and improve in coverage you're going to have a solid starter on your hands. He's not going to be the star of a defense, but can be a glue guy like Jarret Johnson.
ATL FORECAST: I think he could work in Atlanta as a replacement for Nicholas in a year or two. He can push for time right away, although probably won't win it. But with a year under his belt, I would expect him to win the starting job in 2011. He's a guy that can make plays in the run, but also add value as he'll be more capable of being able to play with his hand on the ground on passing downs than Nicholas. He's not going to be great there, and if he ever got more than 3-5 sacks in Atlanta in a season, I'd be surprised. But his effort, motor, and toughness will be greatly appreciated on the roster and he would fit nicely. His production won't make him a significant improvement over Nicholas, but because of his good athleticism and potential to be an upgrade in coverage, I think he is an upgrade nonetheless.
VALUE: For a 3-4 team, he'd make a nice late second round guy. For a 4-3 team, I think he'd offer better value at the end of the third round.

SKILLS
1-poor, 2-weak, 3-above average, 4-very good, 5-elite

SPEED: 4.0
TACKLING: 4.0
COVERAGE: 2.5
POINT OF ATTACK: 3.5
INSTINCTS: 3.5
PASS RUSH: 3.5

Profile E-mail